Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I can't wait for the official info for the US model. I was really close to trading my 03 in for an MR, but now I will wait and see how the 9 turns out. Hopefully the price will be close to the standard evo, but I have a feeling that with all the new stuff it'll most likely see an increase in $. Probably in the MR $ range. If I can swing it I'm gonna give my 03 to my wife and buy the 9 for myself!!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:27 PM

don't know if you guys saw the promotional film already for the Evo 9, if not find it here:

http://www.lancerevoclub.org (both inside/outside movie).

cheers,
kevin
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fenris Ulf
WTF are you smoking?? Integrating technology that Mitsu has had around for years into the 4G63 would not cause a 5-10 grand price hike!
You're so naive to the point of no return. For the sales record, Mitsu will be conservative in America, and gimmicky valvetrain isn't one of them for the Evo. If you're so Evo fanboy on rumor mongering, you might as well believe SCC hyping the E9 w/ a G93T w/ GDI.

Then again, you don't remember in the 90's when Japanese super cars put a world of hurting on the C4 vette sales. Eventually, those super cars became bloated with techno-whizbangs that the American consumers don't care to buy. Look at the Evo has become . . . it's following the same path.

Also, do you have any concept of niche market cars in America? All of them die from horrible sales . . . look at the Mini . . . are they selling as much as the tauras, accord, or camry? Give it a few more years before the Mini totally die from American market. Hell, tell me if mini are outselling the 'stangs or AMC Gremlin at its height in sales?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bahamut
Eventually, those super cars became bloated with techno-whizbangs that the American consumers don't care to buy. Look at the Evo has become . . . it's following the same path.
Part of me agrees, but then...

I think the Evo is going to have to continue to evolve to keep America interested - it doesn't have the Corvette heritage that will allow it to stay the same for seven years at a time. But then, that is the Japanese operating procedure to begin with, so we don't have to worry. But the key is that the price point has to stay about where it is.

The big Japanese GT cars really didn't change, though. Besides all of the piston cars getting +20hp through boost pressure somewhere along the way, the main specs of the 300ZX, Supra and 3000GT didn't really make that much of a change, their price kept going up though. RX7's didn't change at all from, what was it? 90-94? Oh sure, there was a spoiler here, and minor bodywork there, and one extra gear but I think it was only the 3000GT that could claim that as it had the longest run from 91-99.

Incidentally, it was the '96 300ZX that lost its variable valve timing due to emissions (and is thus the model to avoid because it is down on power), the 6 speed Supra was banned from Cali for a year or so for the same reason - but I think it might also be a way for Mitsu to keep the Evo green for all 50 states in some ways to add MIVEC, and power a secondary concern - before the whole thing is tossed out in the next generation for the world engine.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 4, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

I'd rather have a grey VG instead of a body color one. I do hope the make the IX in yellow. I like my Yellow VIII and I would get a Yellow IX like now!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet video. I watched it in my office and some other co-workers had to come over to see what the "Tie-Fighter" sound was coming from. They soon discovered its from the intense almost insane handling of the Evo IX on corners. Hopefully I'll be able to get this car someday. I prefer the front to the 8 also.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerevoclub
don't know if you guys saw the promotional film already for the Evo 9, if not find it here:

cheers,
kevin
I cant get the link on that site to work... can anyone put it into a quicktime mpg format or windows media player format? This is an awesome car and with that MIVEC head on the 4g63 WOW the performance should be awesome. Im guessing there will be a ton less turbo lag with the better valve timing throughout the whole of the rpm curve. Keep the info coming!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerevoclub

cheers,
kevin
Is'nt it the same vid as the first post?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrcevo
Is'nt it the same vid as the first post?
no, but I've never seen the full in-car video. I'm taking notes.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Man if this car really ends up with 300-315hp, that would be amazing!!!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 08:44 AM

I really hate to bring this up as everybody likes to flame us Canucks for not having the Evo...

The reason for the Evo 8 not coming to Canada was due to the Front bumper restriction correct?

Now it LOOKS like from the pics that something has been done to beef it up. Now has anybody got anything concrete about the Evo 9 passing that restriction or is the Imprezia going to still reign as king of the north?

Thanks for not flaming me too much.

- Vanishing_son2k
Old Jan 10, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RA
Wont it be funny if this "Evo9" is actually an MR owned by a guy who bought a Gialla bodykit and painted it all yellow?
Everyone is thinking that it is a real Evo9, he would be laughing his *** off.

have you even watched the video from mitsubishi's media site?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vanishing_son2k
I really hate to bring this up as everybody likes to flame us Canucks for not having the Evo...

The reason for the Evo 8 not coming to Canada was due to the Front bumper restriction correct?

Now it LOOKS like from the pics that something has been done to beef it up. Now has anybody got anything concrete about the Evo 9 passing that restriction or is the Imprezia going to still reign as king of the north?

Thanks for not flaming me too much.

- Vanishing_son2k
What I've read and heard is that governent and insurance restrictions place the problem on the FMIC and not neccessarily the bumper. That's why the Impreza, a a TMIC can be allowed while as long as Mitsu uses a FMIC design, we may never see the Evo.

The Evo 9's bumper is more or less just cosmetic, and retains the same overall dimensions of the Evo 8 bumper. All they did was remove the triangle, and make the nose more pointy to match the center point in the hood.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spare-Flair
What I've read and heard is that governent and insurance restrictions place the problem on the FMIC and not neccessarily the bumper. That's why the Impreza, a a TMIC can be allowed while as long as Mitsu uses a FMIC design, we may never see the Evo.
Not quite.

There's no specific government regulation about front-mounted intercoolers. The restriction is simply the 5 mph impact standard that was imposed to satisfy the Canadian insurance lobby.

The bottom line is that a car sold in Canada must be able to withstand a 5 mph frontal collision with only cosmetic damage (i.e., no mechanical or structural damage...you should be able to drive away with just a scratched bumper cover). The Evo 8 has a few strikes against it in this department, and the FMIC is just one of the problems.

In the USA, they use the much milder 2.5 mph impact standard (again, imposed to satisfy the insurance lobby). The Evo 8 passes that test...but just barely. In fact, this is the main reason why the Evo 7 was "upgraded" to the Evo 8. Mitsu added extra impact beams front and rear, which requred redesigns of the front and rear bumpers. In other markets, the rear impact beam was omitted, so they got to keep the much cooler-looking Evo 7 rear bumper cover.

BTW, I had to learn all about htis subject when I tried to import my Evo 8 into Canada.

Emre
Old Jan 11, 2005, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
The bottom line is that a car sold in Canada must be able to withstand a 5 mph frontal collision with only cosmetic damage (i.e., no mechanical or structural damage...you should be able to drive away with just a scratched bumper cover). The Evo 8 has a few strikes against it in this department, and the FMIC is just one of the problems.
Thanks for the reconfirmation Emre, I figured this was the main issue, but you also said that the evo 8 had a few strikes against it. Seeing that we don't have alot of info for the evo 9, What are the other current issues with the evo 8 coming to Canada?

=-Vanishing_son2k

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]