Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vanishing_son2k
Thanks for the reconfirmation Emre, I figured this was the main issue, but you also said that the evo 8 had a few strikes against it. Seeing that we don't have alot of info for the evo 9, What are the other current issues with the evo 8 coming to Canada?
My understanding is that the 5 mph frontal impact standard is the only outstanding issue at this point. California has the toughest emissions standards in North America, and the Evo 8 passes them...so emissions will not be an issue. In other markets, you can get metric gauges, so that's not a problem either.

When it comes to why the Evo 8 fails the 5 mph impact test, there appear to be a few issues. One is the FMIC and associated plumbing. One appears to be the HID lights (which are no longer standard equipment anyway from what I hear). The HID's alone will add close to $3000 to the cost of front-end repairs following an accident. And I'm sure the aluminum hood and front fenders don't help either.

The Evo 7 failed the USA's 2.5 mph impact test. By just adding the impact beams, the Evo 8 was able to pass. I'm sure there's a way to strengthen the front even further without too much hassle. Mitsu has indicated that they intend the next Evo to be a "world-market" car, so it's reasonable to expect that it will pass the 5 mph impact test.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Emre
Old Jan 11, 2005, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome,

Mitsu would only be shooting themselves in the foot AGAIN if they didn't open this car up to the world...seeing the recognition it has already received.

Thanks again Emre!

Now this next part is spooky.

I just spotted an EVO on Pacific Boulevard on Vancouver, BC...

just got word on it and got some pics, on closer inspection looks more like a kit. I'm going to see this guy this weekend and see what it is.

either way i'll keep you all updated, maybe this guy/gal knows something we don't know.

-Vanishing_son2k

Last edited by vanishing_son2k; Jan 13, 2005 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holy ****...that thing handles like a champ.... it does sound like some star wars ****.....i hope it doesnt get dumbed down 4 the US.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by evo542
ditto!! those diffs will break after 3-4 launches ugmmmm, how many times does the average owner launch the car

I've launched my car too many times to keep count of and still have no issues with my diff. I've ran the times in my sig with 6500 rpm launches. The car has 16,000 miles on it.

I've also got an Espelir CB, TP & airbox delete.

I think it really depends on the car & driver. Especially the driver.

Diffs breaking after 3-4 launches sounds a little exaggerated.

Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dr. EV0
I've launched my car too many times to keep count of and still have no issues with my diff. I've ran the times in my sig with 6500 rpm launches. The car has 16,000 miles on it.

I've also got an Espelir CB, TP & airbox delete.

I think it really depends on the car & driver. Especially the driver.

Diffs breaking after 3-4 launches sounds a little exaggerated.

Keep on launching buddy.....or should ii say magical driver........... give us an update at 30,00 huh????
Old Jan 15, 2005, 09:58 AM

In case anybody is interested, this is a translation of what Gilles Panizzi had to say about the new car after a few track laps:

"There are two main things that I will say about this new car [the EVO 9]: One, the handling is improved. The car is more precise than before and also more stable. It also is more vertically firm, handles bumps a lot better and therefore is faster. Two, the power delivery is improved, with better turbo response at lower revs and increased power overall. This car feels much more like a race car than the last version"

Not much than any of you wouldn't guess, but it's nice to have it confirmed verbatim by Mitsu's own...
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Can't wait to buy the front bumper!
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:09 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

from Lancer Register

Saw this picture over at Lancer Register, posted up by Lancerlot:

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...threadid=64148

Not the best quality but it shows the interior.
Attached Thumbnails Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]-evoix_info_sheet_reduced.jpg  
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:22 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

This thing is nice. Wish I could get the screen to hook up my UTEC to it
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like the MR interior to me.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

And is it me, or do those rims look like Subie rims?

And lastly... how would the rear diffuser work with aftermarket exhausts? Especially angled ones...
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Looks like the MR interior to me.
The JDM MR to be more specific (climate controls, steering wheel, seats).

Also, it gives us an idea of what a U.S. plate looks like on the rear bumper.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Just remember

Yeah the interior of the 9 is showing the MR stuff, but if you remember they did the same with the MR, the pics they showed were the JDM or UK spec MR, when the first few road tests were conducted on the USDM MR edition is when we finally got to see what the interior looked like. When everyone realised that the Headlights, taillights Narrow recaro's and so on and so on would not be on the USDM MR edition, there was still uproar. Once again it was a watered down version.
BUT being as the base UK evo's are now MR, excluding the Straight 8 260, the possibility of us finally getting, an even fuller version of the Evo is just around the corner.
Just don't expect the Evo IX to be less than $35,000 cause I am sure they will add S-AYC to the USDM Evo IX, after all it is called the Evolution and as every iteration comes out, it evolves even more.
I just hope that they will still offer some options, like Sound and leather would be nice, obviously the Sun roof option will get dropped cause of the Aluminium roof.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'm a little wary of the Evo's price continually going up.. the MR's $35K tag was pretty steep - if we add SAYC and uprated interior bits, we're going to be looking close to $40K soon.... I love the Evo and all, but we're talking a $10K base price over the '03 Evo that I bought. Is $10K really worth a couple of interior upgrades and ACD/SAYC/front LSD? I guess for the weekend racer/tracker who can push the car to the limit, but for an average joe like me... seems a tad overkill. Let's hope Mitsu continues to "trim" the car, though I don't know what they would leave out of the lesser versions.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really like it. by the time it comes out i will probably trade my 03 evo for the evo9, i haven't done any changes to my car it is still stock but that is probably the main reason that i will trade mine in is because it is stock. anyways i like the evo9's as long as they make them in whit or blk i will be happy

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]