Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
windows media player , just right click the above link and it will tell you how it can be played or opened
I'm technologically challenged - even when I save stuff to desk top then open um, I often get sound only and psychadelic wave images - but no video.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
merged

Last edited by burningmoney97; Aug 13, 2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

nm

Last edited by hkfeet; Feb 20, 2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

merged

Last edited by burningmoney97; Aug 13, 2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

what are you guys all talking about... max hp and torque @ 6500 and 3500??? the mivec is suppose to lower all of that for more power isnt it??? It has a wider wheel base??? how that that be, its built on the same exact platform as the VIII and VII isnt it?? CT9A...
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-Ron
I'm technologically challenged - even when I save stuff to desk top then open um, I often get sound only and psychadelic wave images - but no video.
That happens when your player doesn't have the right codec to play the video. You can start by getting the latest free version of DivX from www.divx.com.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

from the jdm IX specs i've seen posted on www.lancerregister.com i thought peak torque was reached at 3000 rpm (not 3500 rpm) ??
Old Feb 20, 2005, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MTMS4
from the jdm IX specs i've seen posted on www.lancerregister.com i thought peak torque was reached at 3000 rpm (not 3500 rpm) ??
i got the specs from the video. maybe it will change when the 9 gets closer to launch or from the www.autoshowny.com

have to wait and see
Old Feb 20, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry if Im jumping in a little too late about the brake checking the jdm drivers do. I noticed all the best motoring drivers check their brakes before hard braking into a corner.

I recalled a driver in a ferrari modena in a best motoring battle, and he tapped the brake pedal with his left foot, didnt feel much of a response and ended up pulling onto the shoulder and said "wheres my brakes?".

This is a smart technique imo, especially after watching that viper video that lost his brakes and crashed into the wall. On a side note, does anyone use this technique at the track?
Old Feb 20, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hkfeet
Sorry if Im jumping in a little too late about the brake checking the jdm drivers do. I noticed all the best motoring drivers check their brakes before hard braking into a corner.
They're not "checking their brakes." They're left-foot-braking (LFB), which is a very common technique amongst rally drivers and experienced road racers. It works well in FWD/AWD cars, especially turbos.

When the car is running a little wide in a corner, you generally lift the throttle to tighten up your line. With LFB, you can keep you foot on the throttle (so the turbo stays spooled up) and lightly brush or tap the brakes with your left foot. this shifts your car's weight to the front so the front wheels bite a little better and the rear lightens up a bit. It's a trick to get the car to rotate slightly without losing power.

This is a smart technique imo, especially after watching that viper video that lost his brakes and crashed into the wall. On a side note, does anyone use this technique at the track?
Yes, LFB is a good technique and many of us use it on the track.

However, "checking your brakes" is a very bad idea and no experienced track driver will do it. It's a long story. Basically, track guys use high temp pads. These pads are designed to be used very hard and for a very short time: you quickly mash the brakes will full force, then let up immediately. That way you get maximum braking force and give the brakes plenty of time to cool before you need them again in the next braking zone.

If you "test" your brakes by brushing them lightly (as inexperienced drivers frequently do) you put a LOT of heat into the system. It's similar to dragging your foot on the pedal: inexperienced drivers do it, but it's REALLY dangerous on the track. You load all this heat into your system for no reason. Then, when you really need your brakes...they're gone. Bad idea.

Emre
Old Feb 20, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Are you sure? Because I see them tap the brakes way before the corner. And even if what your saying is true, say on the tsukuba or motegi track, they would downshift most cars from 4th, to 3rd, and enter the corner at 2nd gear. I would understand about the weight shifting part with LFB if the car was already in gear ready for the corner. I could be wrong as I have no racing xp, but Im a huge fan of bm and watch their every move.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so in the evo ix video, the driver takayui kinoshi-ta is always tapping the brakes a few seconds before mashing the brake pedal, corner or just a straightaway. Can you give me an idea of how this will help with the braking or hard braking to enter a corner? Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are you sure? Because I see them tap the brakes way before the corner...I could be wrong as I have no racing xp, but Im a huge fan of bm and watch their every move.
I do quite a bit of track driving: I'm an instructor with the BMW CCA, BMW CC, PCA, and many others. I also love the Best Motoring DVDs and have probably watched just about all of them. They are definitely left-foot-braking.

Ok so in the evo ix video, the driver takayui kinoshi-ta is always tapping the brakes a few seconds before mashing the brake pedal, corner or just a straightaway. Can you give me an idea of how this will help with the braking or hard braking to enter a corner? Thanks
I agree, in this particular video he doesn't seem to be just left-foot-braking.

Don't forget that this guy has obviously never driven the Nordshlieffe before: his lines are horrible! It looks like he just doesn't know what's coming up next so he's just checking up slightly before entering a corner. So, it's not like he's doing this on purpose! I'm sure he wouldn't do the same thing if he was driving with real commitment on a track he knows intimately.

Emre
Old Feb 20, 2005, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Yo Kayaalp that guy IS checking his pedal. He does it to the point of adnauseam. Kinoshi- in the video that I was referring to does it at obsessive compulsive increments. The guy is off-line and all over the place, but he IS checking that brake more than he was "left footing".

hkfeet, the reason he checks the brakes like that is to be certain the are "up top" so he doesn't mash them to find he needs to do it a second time (may be too late) to get the brakes up. He has OCD though!

I've had a couple of high HP cars that had a tendency to lose the brakes with very little warning, so checking them became a habit....buuuuut.....that guy.... must be Canadian.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by MTMS4
IIRC, you only get the peak torque at 3000rpm with the magnesium/titanium turbo that is standard only in the RS and GT spec.

For the GSR (which was used in the Best Motoring vid), this is an option (may not have been installed)

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]