Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't like the idea of increasing the displacement on the Evo. In Mitsu's possition now, making a different engine than JDM isn't very smart because that's just more money. Subby can do it cus they're not in debt (if they are it must not be much). Yeah i'm a JDM junky, so sue me... i don't like the STi 2.5 litre engine. iono why. maybe cus that's not what they use on WRC (i'm not sure of this....the rules changed again like two years ago so iono if the 2 litre restriction is still in place).

also...Subby's 2.0 engine was bumped to 2.5 cus the Evo was whipping it all over Japan.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Anybody who thinks that needs to take an STi through the twisties, then take their Evo down the same road. Mitsubishi loves us all very much if that test can be taken as any sort of verification. Mitsubishi also brought the Evo to the USDM before the STi...and yes I know the WRX was here before that...but Mitsu jumped through a lot of hoops and took a risk Subaru was not willing to take in order to being their flagship to America.
I agree.
What Mitsu lacked in power made up in cornering. It was only 24hp anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=evoaction05]the car doesn't seem that bad... hopefully with the minor upgrades, mitsubishi will be able to make some quick sales, get some cash, and bring the X to the US. maybe that's why the X's release date was rumored to be fairly soon after the release of the IX? either way, looks like i'll be holding out for the X, or the XI if it comes out before May '08.[/QUO

Unless the IX or the Raider makes a huge splash, you can expect the 08' to possibly be expedited to late 07' for the Evo X. Mitsubishi has to do everything they can to jump start sales which means constantly bringing new products to market. The unforseen downside to making a car available as soon as possible with limited operating cash is that the engineering and fit/finish really suffer. So if they do come out with an Evo X early - you can bet the car will have a lot of
quality issues that normally get resolved before a car is released for production.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think most people really expected Mitsu to give us a IX that was in any way better than the JDM IX. The griping and whining are because, once again, we've gotten a car that lacks features on the JDM and UKDM models. Yes, we're happy that we've got the VIII and getting the IX. We're just disappointed that once again we've gotten the short end of the stick. AYC and S-AYC aren't frills, they're technologies that pretty dramatically improve the capabilities of the car.

And for chrissake, please stop comparing UK prices with US prices until you understand the concept of the Value-Added Tax.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Slowride is right. Comapring price versus spec for USDM vs JDM vs UKDM means nothing; manufacturer's charge what the economy will support. As a rough guide, the dollar price of virtually every car sold in the US is around 1.5 to 2 times the price of the same car sold in the UK (not just Mitsu, I'm talking every car manufacturer).
However, do you think Porsche delete major technology features from their cars because they can only sell them for $67k USD rather than 67k pounds sterling...no they don't. That's the point.
The JDM and UKDM "GSR" i.e. our IX MR comes with S-AYC standard and we don't even get it as a standalone option, so some people feel short-changed once again. I think the IX is a great car and good value-for-money. However, many of the little baubles (alloy gearknob, alloy pedal, vortex generator, carbon fibre e-brake etc.) could easily be added later if they weren't standard equipment....S-AYC can't.
To be honest, I'm not sure how well the IX will sell, largely because many of the people who can easily afford it can't be coaxed into it. Sometimes it's the little things that make-or-break a car buying decision e.g. lack of cruise control, lack of a cold weather pack (available for JDM & UKDM Evos), like of a Nav option. I'm not saying we should "dilute" the purpose of the Evo by making these features standard, but they should at least be available as a factory option.
Finally, I would stop all the *****ing and moaning......if MMNA's fortunes don't pick up soon and if the IX doesn't sell well, then we may never see the X over here. You reap what you sow. Oh, and as a postscript, if we treated our cars with a little bit more respect and didn't expect MMNA to honour the warranty for parts broken by customer abuse, they might be a bit more inclined to offer things like S-AYC.......I wonder how much that would cost to fix under warranty?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

I like the new IX...the MIVEC is going to make a nice difference and I think aftermarket tuners will be able to manipulate it to make even more power without having to install cam sprockets. Also the interior upgrade looks nice which is really what the car sorely needed plus its got the smoked heads and tails now. If you want the bumper you can always buy it yourself...modifying is half the fun anyway!
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think its official yet but I believe August will be the month! If not August then I would think no later than the 2nd week in Sept.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw it yesterday at the new york show and it looks weak
its a evo 8 with a front bumper
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

The interior alone makes me want to get the IX instead of the VIII- don't have to get the SSL package to not have to look at that fugly interior that they had before, plus I know that when the X comes out there will probably be a huge price jump for whatever new body style they come up with, likely that the engine will be upgraded too, wouldn't you think?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by EVOMIZ
saw it yesterday at the new york show and it looks weak
its a evo 8 with a front bumper
maybe in styling but that's it. it's a much better car i can't wait. i sure wish we got the totally sweet *** rear though.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

I like the new look, I think it looks alittle better than the EVO VIII, it's not a big styling upgrade, but nevertheless it is still an upgrade. Plus the EVO IX MSRP is only $500 more than the 05 EVO VIII, worth it in my opinion.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

How is it a much better car? Because your subjective opinion says so? The only thing that is different really in terms of mechanics, is the MIVEC head. This car isn't going to be "MUCH" better than the 8. It is the same friggin chassis(ct9a). Nothing has changed chassis wise to make it any better. Even SCC said that the changes are unoticable. I am not downplaying the 9 at all. I love every form of Evo and followed the Evo since Evo 3. I am not hating on it, just stating that the car is almost identical to the previous model(05's).

If you think about it though every model goes up 500 bucks. I understand rising costs and such are the reason for the price jump. But this car is starting to price itself out of the market. The MR is going to be on the brink of 37 G's w/ destination. I love the Evo very much, but damn, that is getting insane. When orginally this car in 03' was a "under 30,000 dollar car". To all that might flame me, again I am not hating on the Evo by any such means. Just stating the obvious. Mitsubishi better keep an eye, or this car is going to end up like the 3000gt , which got WAYYYYYY out of everyones price range. The people that want this car are generally middle class guys that make 30-40 G's a year. Well with the rising cost of.....well......everything these days, this car might make a quick path off our shores. Again, the same reason the 3000gt, supra, rx7, and other all super cars in the class made an exit.

Last edited by favre95; Mar 26, 2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by themann42
....i sure wish we got the totally sweet *** rear though.
Nope! USDM Evo IX won't have that rear
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 3000ways
I like the new look, I think it looks alittle better than the EVO VIII, it's not a big styling upgrade, but nevertheless it is still an upgrade. Plus the EVO IX MSRP is only $500 more than the 05 EVO VIII, worth it in my opinion.
same here, some ppl complain about the US IX not getting the JDM rear bumper, you can always get that from vendors; and besides ACCOLADE is on the process upon making a JDM IX rear bumper. cant wait to get my hands on a IX
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
And for chrissake, please stop comparing UK prices with US prices until you understand the concept of the Value-Added Tax.
The VAT has nothing to do with the consumer if it's structured anything like Canada's VAT. IIRC Mitsubishi would pay a tax to the corresponding gov't after the sale of the vehicle ON TOP of whatever taxes the buyer would legally be required to pay. Are you implying that Mitsubishi's increase in UKDM, EDM and or JDM prices are simply to offset a VAT...because by my math, assuming current exchange rates specific to each market, it's not that simple.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]