Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favre95,

Yes, we're definitely on the same page regarding price.
If the price increase for the IX is $500 across the board as anticipated, then the MR will be "exactly" $36,500 before taxes, title. So, for me paying 8.25% State tax (NY), it comes in around $40,000 out-the-door .

Wow, I know I can get the '06 STi when it's launched later in the year at invoice + $400........probably close to a $5k difference in my case.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive spoken with the owner of a local Mitsu dealer about the release and he said its official release is in oct but the car will be available a few weeks before that.

This is the same dealer im going down to this weekend to put a deposit on the 9.

If there are any socalevo guys here they know which dealership im talking bout.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

I have a good question I haven't read on here yet. I wonder how the MIVEC is going to effect tuneability with bigger boost, bigger turbos, bigger injectors, cames etc.. with engine management systems. I'm sure AEM will have to make some changes to their boxes for the variable valve timing. I know on my RSX-S we turbocharged we actually turned the variable timing off with the turbo and the car ran stronger with a big turbo. The tuning of the variable timing maps was extremely tricky and time consuming. There was a base fuel and timing map for part throttle then another for Wide open throttle, then additional pairs of maps for every 3deg. adjustment of the timing for each cam respectively. That worked out to be approx 32 fuel and timing maps. Not sure if the evo will work the same way but theoretically I imagine it will be similar if not the same. Could be a tuning nightmare.

On a sidenote, when the IX comes out I'm buying a low milage traded in VIII and swapping to the IX front bumper facia and hopefully can acquire a JDM rear bumper. I don't think the differences warrant the extra almost 10G's for a car I'm just gonna change around, put a big turbo on, void the warranty, etc.. anyways.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRAGIN
I have a good question I haven't read on here yet. I wonder how the MIVEC is going to effect tuneability with bigger boost, bigger turbos, bigger injectors, cames etc.. with engine management systems. I'm sure AEM will have to make some changes to their boxes for the variable valve timing. I know on my RSX-S we turbocharged we actually turned the variable timing off with the turbo and the car ran stronger with a big turbo. The tuning of the variable timing maps was extremely tricky and time consuming. There was a base fuel and timing map for part throttle then another for Wide open throttle, then additional pairs of maps for every 3deg. adjustment of the timing for each cam respectively. That worked out to be approx 32 fuel and timing maps. Not sure if the evo will work the same way but theoretically I imagine it will be similar if not the same. Could be a tuning nightmare.

On a sidenote, when the IX comes out I'm buying a low milage traded in VIII and swapping to the IX front bumper facia and hopefully can acquire a JDM rear bumper. I don't think the differences warrant the extra almost 10G's for a car I'm just gonna change around, put a big turbo on, void the warranty, etc.. anyways.
I'm sure companies like WORKS and Vishnu will have their work cut out for them. Then again, reading thousands of lines of Evo VIII code probably wasn't a walk in the park either. I imagine they're every bit as anxious as all of us to get their hands on an Evo IX ECU so they can start playing "mad scientist".
Old Mar 31, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

well going from an 03 VIII to a IX MR will be a huge change for me!! can't wait till they arrive.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have a good question I haven't read on here yet. I wonder how the MIVEC is going to effect tuneability ...
Good question and great input.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the aftermarket does.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

sounds about right.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Gsr
Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure where you are getting the 10 grand from....its gonna be $500 dollars more than last years model.

If you hate the colored seats and you dont want a car that had the **** beat out of it then you will be getting a 9.

500 bones for a much nicer interior and mivec is well worth it.

If you already have an eight I wouldn't dick with a trade. That would be depreciation suicide.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Mar 31, 2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Will the RS still only come in red and white only?
Old Mar 31, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo VIII
Will the RS still only come in red and white only?
Yeah cause I would kill for a Black RS
Old Mar 31, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking. That and blue (but i know blue would prolly never happen).
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

What do you mean where do I get 10G's from. If a loaded NEW EVO is like 32K I'm sure the 24K going rate for a good lower milage USED one will drop a few more thousand when the IX comes out. The evo's although popular aren't hard to get used for a fair price even now. I think the used retail market will get more buyer friendly when the new one comes out. And not everyone beats the crap out of their cars. I'd be pretty choosy about the one I picked up. As long as the body is clean, brakes are in good shape, and compression on the motor is good, amongst all the visual signs of abuse, I'd be happy since the tires, wheels, suspension, turbo, etc... will get tossed. basically modded VIII or stock IX for the approximate same price.

Last edited by DRAGIN; Mar 31, 2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I see what you are saying now.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Not to be a total jerk to the people who have voiced the "not quite enough of a change" attitude in this thread, but honestly, most of you already are evolution owners, and I don't really think Mitsubishi was aiming to get your attention with this addition to the evolution family. If you are already an evolution owner, the IX in most cases isn't for you. The subtle yet definite changes both inside and out, plus tweaks to the engine, are simply revisions and addons to the evo we already have, in order for mitsubishi to reach to a wider band of consumers and to compete with other car manufacturers. The Mivec, though can be used for more power, will give a huge change in gas milage, giving the evo a better economy rating in its class. The nicer interior will definitely be a strong selling point with the new evo IX, reaching customers who were looking for a more refined interior, while still keeping the racing heritage at heart. Basically mitsubishi is trying to make money, and seeing as most of the buyers for this car will not be previous evolution owners, Mitsu is just making the moves to reach buyers who wouldn't have considered the VIII model. I myself will most likely be purchasing an evolution IX MR, being a lancer oz owner I really don't have much to complain about at all, at least I'm getting an evo. If you're waiting for a new engine with 320+ hp and a whole new body, just wait for the X. I have a strong feeling that the X will be a large turning point for the evolution series, if mitsubishi turns from the 4g63 powerplant the evo will either skyrocket or plummet, I don't think there will be an inbetween, the X will be the deciding factor in the lancer evolution series, we will have to see where it goes from there.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]