Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo-Ron
This is an interesting question, and I'm leaning towards the GSR as the better overall value. Supposedly, the 5th gear will be better for highway cruising than the previous VIII (which I have no problem to begin with) so that negates the 6 spd. in my opinion.

So the only things I would want on the MR is the weight saving roof and wheels.
But the 6 spd tranny is so heavy that it almost eliminates these advantages - except for the lower center of gravity.

Now with the same 5 grand saved on the GSR - I could do a better lower suspension and lighter wheels than MR if I wanted to

But it is still a close call and depends upon personal preferance and what you intend to do with the car most importantly.

I am interested to know the top speed in each gear to help me decide as well.
My thoughts exactly. From what I've read it appears that most people after a DynoFlash or any other ECU flash have had a top speed as high as 158-170 (as per the posts of the people claiming such speeds). This was in 5 spd. and 6 spd. setups.

Westside: What isn't "completely true?" All that can be bought, or replaced with better. Vortex Generators are even for sale now. -__-;
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Buy the factory HID headlights and fit them to a non-HID Evo. Do the same for the aluminum roof. After that, tell me how "easy" it is. While you're at it, purchase the BBS rims, MR badge, color matched VG, guages, Bilsteins. After all that you'll be at a price higher than an MR. No matter what, it would be cheaper to get the MR in the first place. If you're arguing about performance difference after modifications, that's far more simple. An VIII with just a flash could most likely beat a IX.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, but I would completely understand the individual that really thinks the Alum roof and 6 speed are a must have - for them it would be worth the extra money.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stormhalter
How much more beneficial is the 6-speed in the MR compared the 5-speed in the GSR?
Well this is the thing - the 04' MR was a hair (quicker after 40 mph) due to the gearing. Now the 5 speed has been revised we might easily see the opposite!

And of course the MR is probably going to cruise a little easier using alittle less gas in top gear.

This I am anxiously waiting to see if anyone can throw us some test data before the cars are released and I'm stuck with my choice.

I think it's going to be very close, however.

Last edited by Turbo-Ron; Apr 21, 2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
Buy the factory HID headlights and fit them to a non-HID Evo. Do the same for the aluminum roof. After that, tell me how "easy" it is. While you're at it, purchase the BBS rims, MR badge, color matched VG, guages, Bilsteins. After all that you'll be at a price higher than an MR. No matter what, it would be cheaper to get the MR in the first place. If you're arguing about performance difference after modifications, that's far more simple. An VIII with just a flash could most likely beat a IX.
Not talking factory HID's. Talking about aftermarket HID kits. I wasn't expecting to put an aluminum roof on my non-MR IX. That would just be insane. I should have been more clear about that. I wouldn't purchase the BBS rims, I'd go for something more light and aftermarket. Although the BBS rims are nice. I wouldn't want an MR badge if I didn't have one. As a matter of fact, the whole car is getting debadged except for the Evo emblem. Bilsteins would be replaced by a better Tein setup and aftermarket guages/a-pillar pod own the oem crappy center mounted guages IMO. Since I'm going black for the color, the color matched VG isnt a problem since the one being sold is black anyways.

Oh and.. Imagine a IX with a flash agaisnt a VIII with a flash. It'll be the same if not a more winning favor for the Evo IX.

I guess it all comes down to personal preferences and opinions.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Has the sixer not been revised as well?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Personal preference is a big part. SOME PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO MODIFY THEIR CAR. I am one of them. These people (if they can afford it) get an MR. If I could afford one I would be buying one, but I can't. I can't even afford a IX until August. Who knows when there will even be a flash for the IX, it might take a little bit to develop, just like the '05 flash did.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-Ron
Well this is the thing - the 04' MR was a hair (quicker after 40 mph) due to the gearing. Now the 5 speed has been revised we might easily see the opposite!

And of course the MR is probably going to cruise a little easier using alittle less gas in top gear.

This I am anxiously waiting to see if anyone can throw us some test data before the cars are released and I'm stuck with my choice.

I think it's going to be very close, however.
The 5 speed was revised for 2005? How so? Shorter ratios or longer? I look at the 6th gear as a cruising gear personally, lol. I don't know. Im going to search around for a transmission thread that hopefully compares the two.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

I read that the estimate was 1-2 months. I forgot in which post.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

The 5 speed wasn't revised for 2005, only for the IX.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stormhalter
Not talking factory HID's. Talking about aftermarket HID kits. I wasn't expecting to put an aluminum roof on my non-MR IX. That would just be insane. I should have been more clear about that. I wouldn't purchase the BBS rims, I'd go for something more light and aftermarket. Although the BBS rims are nice. I wouldn't want an MR badge if I didn't have one. As a matter of fact, the whole car is getting debadged except for the Evo emblem. Bilsteins would be replaced by a better Tein setup and aftermarket guages/a-pillar pod own the oem crappy center mounted guages IMO. Since I'm going black for the color, the color matched VG isnt a problem since the one being sold is black anyways.

Oh and.. Imagine a IX with a flash agaisnt a VIII with a flash. It'll be the same if not a more winning favor for the Evo IX.

I guess it all comes down to personal preferences and opinions.
Now you are getting the point that there is no wrong answer!

It's what you want, and what you gonna do with said car.

I'm opposite in that I don't want HID - really prefer not to have a $1,000 target that gets ripped off by punks and lets cops see me coming 2 miles off. No way.

I want a car that will see ALOT of track duty. So I will have to buy a 2nd set of wheel for slicks any way - and THEY will be lighter than the MR's.

I don't care about top gear cruising as much as 2nd & 3rd gear excelleration on the track.

I care about slalom speeds - and the VIII GSR is faster than MR in the slalom.

Therefore the only concerns I have with the MR is:

1. tranny performance on the track.
2. the actual handling advantage the Alum roof gives.

Just another point of view as a matter of interest.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Oh ok. For the GSR/RS & MR?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AznFlip
Nope! USDM Evo IX won't have that rear
im thinking he already knew that.....
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
Has the sixer not been revised as well?

NO - only the 5 speed will be revised for the first time on the 2006 Evo IX.

Last edited by Turbo-Ron; Apr 21, 2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, you're in Miami. I'm in Boca. We should go buy our Evo's together, lol.

You're adressing some of the same points I have. Well, we'll see. I'm probably going to get the GSR. Easier to get and finance than an MR. I have some apparent credit problems to dispute and clear off my record that I recently became aware of. :P Once I do and that Evo is released. I'm all gung-ho.

CANT WAIT!

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]