Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Dodge and Mitsubishi to Share Neon Platform | [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is supposed to be a replacement for the neon, but may be introduced to phase it out. I wouldn't doubt that some components may carry over to mitsubishi but I think overall that would hurt sales because a company has to maintain individuality to attract customers. If it doesn't offer anything different it would be replaced by a cheaper domestic model.

[edit] I just found some interesting things in the ralliart threads. links on there have some interesting rumors/facts whatever
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/rebel.html

Last edited by Nugordy; Aug 8, 2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 01:36 PM

you know, that's looks kinda like the picture of the orange Evo X from the Japanese magazine that has recently been posted...similar looking windows at least
Old Aug 8, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bullet002
you know, that's looks kinda like the picture of the orange Evo X from the Japanese magazine that has recently been posted...similar looking windows at least
probably the use of the same frame
Old Aug 9, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

The Caliber is based on the Mitsu GS platform, which is the basis for the upcoming Lancer, Evo X, Outlander, as well as several other DCX projects.
Mechanical components are also shared, such as the engines (Global Engine Alliance which is a joint venture between DCX, Mitsu and Hyundai) modified by each participant using their own technology, and the 6-speed CVT (built by Jatco, which is partially owned by Mitsu (18%)and Nissan (82%)).
Old Aug 11, 2005, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Post Dodge and Mitsubishi to Share Neon Platform | [MERGED]

P. 83, last paragraph, from car and driver.. "This mobile moster disappears in 2006!"

This is from the SRT-4 forum's,

The neon and SRT-4 as we know them will be no more. The new "neon" will be built on a Lancer platform with a Hyunda powerplant. If you want a SRT-4, the 2005 model is your last chance.....period.

After 2005, there will be no more stratus name whatsover, nor will their be a Neon name. Mitsubishi and Dodge have kind of "mended" their marriage so to speak. So the Lancer EVO will be made by Dodge in 2006. The new neon, which will not have that name, will be based off the Lancer Platform, there will also be a sportwagon model of the "neon" made.

The new "neon" based off of the Lancer platform will have a Hyundai based engine, to the best of my current Knowledge. The mule of the sedan is absolutely hideous, if I do say so myself. If you haven't seen it I posted it somewhere else, and I'll post it here again. The engine will be a 2.4L i4, thats Dodge's new engine of choice, and it will continue to be an FWD vehicle, while the rest of Dodge goes RWD and AWD. Like I said a sportcross wagon will also be created.

The AVENGER is coming back, only it will be a 4-wheel drive Sedan that is quite similar to subarus now. That will be Dodge's mid-size sedan. It will be an AWD car with a v6 powerplant, similar to the power of the Dodge Stratus R/T.

The two seater 3-cylinder Slingshot will NOT be made, but people are fighting for the Razor with its i4 and 14,995 price sticker.

Dodge will also have another line added, but it will NOT be called Plymouth. Right now the name is up in the air. Its geared to be less expensive (i.e. 14,995 razor and the new "neon") and it is not supposed to be geared at a young audience as far as performance is concerned. But it will feature vehicles with better reliability, gas mileage, and lower prices for those who need it. I.e. college students, high school students, and those who just went out on their own. "

Got this when i was browsing the 350z forums... he said he got it from the srt-4 board were the guy got it from this months issue of car and driver....
Old Aug 11, 2005, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

yes the neon is gone but im not sure if 2005 is the last year. Umm no way in hell is dodge gonna get hands on making the next evo. if they do ill be at their headquarters killing a lot of people. I really do not like dodge/chysler. they ended plymouth's career, killed eagles career, took away the prowler, told mitsubishi who is there partner go screw youself we arent giving u any more money, we are going to give money to mercedes and hyudai, and they just use mitsubishi. they are just using mitsubishi like dirty little hoes. if i were mitsubishi in a cuple months when i can buy back the part dodge owns i would do it. lets see in the past caravans 4cylinders were mitsubishi, 3000gt=dodge stealth, lancer=colt eclipse = eagle aka dodges talon, i think the avenger had the mitsu engine in it. the 2 door stratus chasis was based on the eclipse. srt-4 turbo = mitsu turbo many more but cant think of any.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

+1 i will sell my EVO if it goes to dodge lol
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

From what I have heard, that dodge is a 40% owner of mitsubishi. Why do you guys think that the new Evo looks like it screwed a neon.?

Just be thankful....it means the value of our Evo's should increase since the new one's will be nothing like ours.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokey
From what I have heard, that dodge is a 40% owner of mitsubishi. Why do you guys think that the new Evo looks like it screwed a neon.?

Just be thankful....it means the value of our Evo's should increase since the new one's will be nothing like ours.
It's been like that for quite a while.

Better get one while you can.

Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Good grief... Lots of wrong/bad information here. The rumors above were all started by allpar.com.
Basically, the Caliber (Neon replacement) and the Lancer replacement share a lot of parts including the engine, transmission, 4WD system, etc. Mitsu will still develop their own version with their own styling, as will Dodge.
There is a possibility that the Lancer may get built here in the U.S. alongside the Caliber.
The SRT-4 and the EVO X are a whole different story altogether. The EVO X will NOT be a Dodge or be built by DCX
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:01 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

Even if dodge got the new Evo -- it would probably still be made overseas like the Evo is now. They would just rebadge it an SRT-4 *shutter*

In other words, I don't think the article was saying Dodge is going to make the new Evo with a Hyundai based engine. I think that just applies to the neon replacement. But maybe I'm wrong, that article is a little confusing. I'm going to pickup the new Car&Driver today to see if I can find the article for myself.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Dogde Lancer Evolution. do u like that name? just imagine the later SRT4 owners are going to whine about how the SRT4 is better than the evo, if everything is going as is. when they do that, id smack 'em and say "dude, ur moron. its the same freaking stuff. its just that my car looks alot better urs. nooob."
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:15 AM

Reminds me of the Stealth/3000GT. At least that was built in Japan.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

uhhhh i just did a yahoo search and dodge Caliber came up as a neon replacement but it looks like a wagon\suv?
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Get them before they are Dodge a sized.

Quick Reply: Dodge and Mitsubishi to Share Neon Platform | [MERGED]