Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Dodge and Mitsubishi to Share Neon Platform | [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2005, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW 4cyl for Dodge Caliber (CVT & AWD) - "Engines for future lancers? CVT?"

New four-cylinders to power Caliber, other models

Future Products: Chrysler group -- New four-cylinders to power Caliber, other models

Caliber to also feature all-new CVT, all-wheel-drive

Dodge’s upcoming 2007 Caliber, the replacement for the aging Neon, will be powered by DaimlerChrysler’s newly-developed four-cylinder engine family.

On the Caliber, the new engines will be mated to a continuously variable transmission and an electronic all-wheel drive system.

Engine choices for the U.S. market will include: a 1.8-liter rated at 140 hp, a 2.0-liter producing 150 hp and the top-of-the-line 2.4-liter generating 170 hp. A 2.0-liter turbodiesel has also been developed, but it will not initially be available for the U.S. The result of a joint venture between DCX, Hyundai and Mitsubishi, the engines feature dual variable valve timing and are more fuel efficient, the automaker says.

All displacement options will be available for the Caliber and will also power other next-generation DCX vehicles. Turbocharged variants are rumored to be in development.

In addition to the new engines, an all-new continuously variable transmission, dubbed CVT2, will shift the Caliber. The CVT will offer an autostick option which will allow drivers to manually select the six simulated gears. DCX says the new transmission will help improve Caliber’s performance (especially in the 30-60 mph area) and fuel economy over a traditional automatic.

The CVT will transmit the power to an electronic all-wheel drive system. The system drives the front wheels unless it determines the rear wheels need grip. Then the torque output will vary automatically based on traction conditions via an electronically controlled coupling. The system is fully active from 25-65 mph to help ensure optimum handling. --AUTOMOTIVE NEWS CONTRIBUTED
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102902
Old Aug 8, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

CVT - 4cyl. turbo and low horsepoer?? Seems like an Audi A4. Is Audi on the joint venture?
Old Aug 8, 2005, 07:19 AM

more pics...

2007 Dodge Caliber 2.0-liter Turbo Diesel

2.0-liter turbo diesel with 2000-bar direct injection will deliver excellent performance and fuel economy for 2007 Dodge Calibers sold outside of North America.

2007 Dodge Caliber World Engine

Debuting in the 2007 Dodge Caliber, the Chrysler Group World Engine family is targeted to improve fuel efficiency by five percent compared with the engines they replace -- rivaling the best four-cylinder engines in the world.

2007 Dodge Caliber Transmission

New-generation continuously variable transmission, CVT2, will give 2007 Dodge Caliber customers improved performance and fuel economy.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm.. just when I thought the Magnum couldn't get any uglier.. Hopefully this engine will not be as crappy as the rest in their current linup. They might be saved once again by import car engineering help. I'm just waiting to see if they add a little touch of that good ol' domestic "quality" to it.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

this belongs in "other cars" forum...
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
Hmm.. just when I thought the Magnum couldn't get any uglier.. Hopefully this engine will not be as crappy as the rest in their current linup. They might be saved once again by import car engineering help. I'm just waiting to see if they add a little touch of that good ol' domestic "quality" to it.
This from someone driving a Mitsubishi product. Known for legendary quality. LOL Absolutely hyterical!!!! Yeah, those OZ's are sharp!!
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kordwood
This from someone driving a Mitsubishi product. Known for legendary quality. LOL Absolutely hyterical!!!! Yeah, those OZ's are sharp!!
This is all I've seen you do on these boards..

Do you even own a car?
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:22 AM

Kordwood is the resident SRT apologist.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

No. I'm not a fan of American cars either. I just can't stand hypocrisy. And I have to laugh when I see a pot calling a kettle black!!
Some little kid driving a friggin rental car asking me if I even own a vehicle. Priceless.

Last edited by Kordwood; Aug 8, 2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

it looks like the offspring from a Toyota Matrix and Dodge Pick Up
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

No. I'm not a fan of American cars either. I just can't stand hypocrisy. And I have to laugh when I see a pot calling a kettle black!!
Some little kid driving a friggin rental car asking me if I even own a vehicle. Priceless.
Hypocricy.. not quite. The "quality" of the cars they produce reflects in the consumer reports (#1 most trusted source since 1936) , edmunds, competitive comparisons, my own eyewitness accounts, etc..
lol.. calling the kettle black. Is that supposed to be a racist statement? Sounds like it to me.

Rental car? More like, affordable and dependable college car. It really doesn't matter what car you own, I could have gotten a McLaren F1 and someone like you would find something to criticize about it. It just sounds like you are very opinionated and closed minded. You need to get over the immaturity or puberty you are going through and grow up, seriously. You must have missed all the huge threads in off topic about people starting bs arguements like you are right now.

Back onto topic please.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I believe JD Power over CR. Chrysler had fewer problems than Mitsubishi.
Racism?? Where'd you get that from?? Odd. You've never heard of the expression referring to the pot calling the kettle black huh? Umm, I hate ask but what college do you go to??? It has to do with hypocrisy. I'll say it again. Anyone driving a Mitsubishi product is in no position to criticize the quality or styling of anything.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...int&id=1469974

Last edited by Kordwood; Aug 8, 2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

ok, again, the forums are strewn off topic.. yippee.
Alright, I guess you are right, and so am I. JD Power collects information from email and telephone surveys, and Consumer Reports actually tests every product themselves. I guess there can be no winner. End of story?

my college = University of Michigan.
lol, I have heard the kettle thing before, my gf has used that comment before when talking to her mom, and I just call her racist because a black guy at the mall turned around and got offended when she said it.

Back onto topic again.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I believe JD Power over CR. Chrysler had fewer problems than Mitsubishi.
Racism?? Where'd you get that from?? Odd. You've never heard of the expression referring to the pot calling the kettle black huh? What college do you go to??? It has to do with hypocrisy. I'll say it again. Anyone driving a Mitsubishi product is in no position to criticize the quality or styling of anything.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...int&id=1469974
Just as an aside I really do not trust either of those sources as you have to consider who theyre relying on to report/recognize problems, I go by my own evaluations and by that I consider almost every car out there to be made like ****, its a fact of business to reduce costs to the bare minimum while in some cases providing the illusion of quality (i.e. covering your cheap plastics with rubber). Where it counts I'd say the Lancer line as well as the EVO for their pricepoints and foci are easily on par with similar offerings considering I've owned both. And yes, even in a Mitsubishi I'd of called many of the domestic cars out there ****, sit in a new Mustang GT and then an EVO back to back, tap around and then tell me which car is worse. Also gotta love the **** plastic non body matched mirrors/door handles on some of those cars. Not trying to start an argument just dropping MY longwinded 2 cents.

Secondly, and more relevantly the new Lancer platform sounds promising, CVT is definitely an impressive development and AWD across the line is a nice addition. Hopefully the EVO stays pure and relatively low yield though, also the ever increasing potentiality of the SRT neon becoming a copycat of our car's powertrain is discouraging.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Wasn't the Nissan Murano having problems with the CVT transmissions? They are a cool idea, but they need to make them smaller and lighter. I've driven hybrid cars with them, its weird. I floored it, and the RPM's just keep climbing until the car is at full speed. I was like "wtf? how long is this 1st gear?" lol.

Quick Reply: Dodge and Mitsubishi to Share Neon Platform | [MERGED]