Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

The Unofficial "MIVEC / IX Does Not Suck" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Unofficial "MIVEC / IX Does Not Suck" Thread

Alright, allow me to explain myself in why I've created this post. I am truly sick of people who have little to know knowledge of what they are talking about coming on evom and talking all this stuff about how mivec is going to mess up the 4g and how its going to ruin the evolution series bla bla bla bla. it's unreal, when since the original evolution has the evo taken a step back in performance as compared to a previous model. that being the common sense reasoning behind my aggravation, lets look at the technical aspects. There has been NOTHING done to the evolution IX that can possibly make it BAD. Let look at the country of Japan, where the IX is out. I don't see the japs over there banging their heads on the walls becuase they are pissed that the IX sucks. I think that everyone who is going to even talk about the IX should be required to watch the evo IX best motoring video as it has the best info, specs, and comparisons to date of the IX up against other cars. Man let me tell you the IX is going to suck so bad, i would hate to have a car that would pull on a WRX spec C and make the sooby look like its going backwards. wow, what a ****ty evo. What don't some of you understand about MIVEC, please explain it to me now, becuase it's killing me. MIVEC is not new people, it's been in japan for years. I know some of us have our heads so far up the *** of "america's greatness" but im sorry to inform you that Japanese auto technology is light years ahead of anything that we have or are currently designing / recieving. if thats not enough for you, lets look at vtec equiped hondas. yeah they suck big time, let me tell you. yea right, you slap a vtec head on a turbo ls integra and you pick up another 60-80 hp. that SUCKS. another thing that is going to be so crappy about mivec is that it actually INCREASES gas milage, who the hell would want that? comon people, honestly, i'm sorry for ranting, but i garauntee there are a **** ton of people on here that are thinking the same thing as myself and just want a thread where we can talk about the progression of the evo, without having people sit here and "worry" about the IX being an "ugly duckling". Let freakin talk about how other vvt engines have progressed and how mods have been adapted to make vvt equiped motors even more superior to other motors.

And for the record, FROM Mitsubishi:

The Lancer Evolution IX is the first vehicle in the series to feature MIVEC (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing and Electronic Control). The Lancer Evolution’s MIVEC system operates on the intake camshaft, helping to optimize the engine’s valve timing to optimize the combustion in all running conditions. This technology results in more torque and horsepower while improving fuel economy across the entire rev range. The improved breathing afforded by this valve train enhancement moves the engine’s redline to 7000 rpm.
The MIVEC system can alter the intake camshaft sprocket's phase angle to retard the timing of the closure of the intake valves at higher rpm. This valve event timing creates more power because of the more efficient and complete filling of the combustion chamber thanks to the intake charge's inertia effect. Meanwhile at lower rpm, the MIVEC system will retard the timing of the opening of the intake valves to decrease intake/exhaust overlap timing, helping promote more stable combustion, while reducing fuel consumption and emissions.

The Lancer Evolution’s MIVEC system uses the engine’s oil pressure to engage movement of the intake camshaft’s front sprocket. As the camshaft control signals are received from the ECM, a spool valve at the oil control valve moves the sprocket toward the advance or retard side depending on the ECM signal. As the intake camshaft’s actual and target sprocket angles meet, the oil pressure in the advance and the retard chambers is held to maintain the phase angle of the camshaft. The MIVEC system’s oil control valve is a closed loop system so that the actual and target phase angels are identical.

Last edited by Hotshot940; Sep 19, 2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

thats ****in right
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah gee it would suck to be able to adjust cam timing for both low and high rpm
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

After the 9 comes out and we start gathering info about it, i am considering a mivec head swap. I've seen what the vtech swaps have done for honda, hopefully it's the same for mitsu.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 07:33 AM

The looks of the IX are hit and miss. I love the rear but the front is questionable ( maybe it'll grow on me later). However, I feel that the engine will be greatly improved over the regular 4g63. After owning/working on quite a few hondas (some with and some with the variable cams), I'm confident that after some aftermarket research, the potential of the mivec will be realized. I knowing that tuning will be an issue at first but once tuners get a hang of the mivec, watch out.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

It's an Evo which means it's king. I plan on buying one. The only question is how to keep my 8 at the same time and not have to eat PB&J nightly.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

who ever said "MIVEC" sucks or is gonna suck has no idea what there typing about, I love MIVEC... at 3600rpms that's where the fun begins!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

I can't wait until the evo 9 gets here.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

this is starting off as a good thread! everyone is actually excited about the mivec, not just rambling on about **** they dont even know about, haha.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Im just gona buy an IX also and keep my VIII
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

The IX is going to be sick!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

the only reason people ramble of what they dont know is because they dont want to be left behind when it comes out. for example the only evo with mivec will be the ix so 03-05's which is everyone on this evo board will not have it so they dont like it. ya know i felt the same way when i first heard but i would like to see it out for a while before i jump on the bandwagon of people who will be trading in or buying one for the first time. not that i dont trust mitsu, thats sarcasm, but i wont be the first in line come time for launch. hell i just started modding my 04' so i will wait to see if mivec will be that much of a "must have" and the other reason is tuning it will take a while for mods to come out for it and the first batch will most likely be the test mule. also i would like to say, honestly u guys are talking about the jdm IX which has more HP and better features were getting a different evo and u know what i mean so comparing the best motoring video is quite stupid. cuz were getting one that wont hang with a spec C subaru. just my .02cents
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

VVT technology definetly works, whoever sais otherwise don't know what they're talking about. domestic manufacturers are also gonna come up with this soon
Old Sep 11, 2005, 02:04 PM

if mivec is going to be anything like the i-vtec i had in my rsx-s wows.. You'll know when you hit that powerband.

Quick Reply: The Unofficial "MIVEC / IX Does Not Suck" Thread