Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Dealer Mark-Up BS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:46 PM
PCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Mark-Up BS

I have been in contact with some local dealers regarding an Evo lX. I want to put a deposit down. They are telling me that I will have to pay more than MSRP. The deposit would be non-refundable. This is the second dealer in the Sacramento area that is stating the price would be MSRP + dealer mark-up. I told them I will not pay anymore than than MSRP and if I can't find a dealer willing to meet my terms, I will go by an STI.

Any suggestion? Would contacting Corp. Mitsubishi and telling them their dealers are losing customers because of their greed make a difference? Mitsubishi is not in a financial position to be pissing off potential customer and losing them to Subaru.

PCW
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure that's going to get you anywhere. I think that's why they call it Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. I agree with you that jackin' up the price sucks, but the dealers are going to Milk it for all they're worth. Especially since they know how much EVO enthusiasts want this car.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

you should never pay markup. its just straight profit for them so they can obviously negotioate that pretty easily. only thing is that they know some idiot people will pay that so they will keep the markup until the hype dies down. yea its BS, but its also a business to make money.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PCW
I have been in contact with some local dealers regarding an Evo lX. I want to put a deposit down. They are telling me that I will have to pay more than MSRP. The deposit would be non-refundable. This is the second dealer in the Sacramento area that is stating the price would be MSRP + dealer mark-up. I told them I will not pay anymore than than MSRP and if I can't find a dealer willing to meet my terms, I will go by an STI.

Any suggestion? Would contacting Corp. Mitsubishi and telling them their dealers are losing customers because of their greed make a difference? Mitsubishi is not in a financial position to be pissing off potential customer and losing them to Subaru.

PCW
give this guy a call. he will get you an evo 9 at msrp
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/me...p?userid=17801

Originally Posted by PCW
Would contacting Corp. Mitsubishi and telling them their dealers are losing customers because of their greed make a difference?
no
Old Sep 24, 2005, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

there's way too many people paying MSRP for this car...dealer will figure it out sooner or later no one's going to pay that much more for the car...I would keep at him and demand MSRP, probably a few weeks after the launch of the car...they'll end up calling you...
Old Sep 24, 2005, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor

When I purchased my MR last october, I literally spent almost a full day at work callin every dealer in OH, MI, and IN....I am located in Toledo, OH. I only did this because the dealer I had originally placed the order with got screwed by Mitsubishi and didnt get the GG which I wanted. To make a long story short, I finally found someone in Cincinnatti (3 hrs away) that was willing to sell for MSRP. Point is, dont pay the mark up, keep trying, if your willing to go and get one, believe it or not, ther are still some good dealers out there that dont believe in that stuff, especially when it comes to enthusiast cars. Just my $.02.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 04:13 PM

what's the msrp for a 9? how much more should i expect to pay for the ssl package?
Old Sep 24, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by joek84
what's the msrp for a 9? how much more should i expect to pay for the ssl package?
prices as follows, http://media.mitsubishicars.com/det...274774&mime=ASC
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Most sales managers are die hard believers in “supply and demand.” If they have lots of people calling to deposit money on a car they are only getting a few of, what do you think they are going to do?

If you want a bargain, buy an VIII. I went to three dealers two days ago. First dealer didn’t have an EVO. Second had one, but laughed at me when I said I wanted below invoice. The last dealer agreed to invoice price, 100K bumper to bumper (+$850), and 0% financing.

If the last dealer didn’t want to budge, I was planning on calling dealers in Houston next week. They would be open by then (post Rita) and would LOVE to make a sale in the last week before the end of the month, during a week not very many people in the area are car shopping.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

San Rafael Mitsubishi has never marked up an Evo.
Give them a call (little far though).
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

i remember when the evo's first came out here in the US. a month or so before they were in the showrooms, people were puttign deposits down for the car at a price that was MSRP + some markup.

then they hit the showrooms. Some people were still buying them for over MSRP.

a month later, i think almost everyone was getting them for MSRP.

long story short, if you wait a tad, prices will be more idealistic for you that's how it is with a lot of new things.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

its a gamble to buy a car now a days.....you either hold off and wait, or go all in and just do it. if you think about it, the EVO9 is somewhat of a new platform, in terms of adding the MIVEC. I'd hold off just in case there are some weird problems. I mean look at the 03-04 EVO8's, common case of tranny grimmlins and TC hickups. 05's seem to have the kinks fixed, majority anyway. i always feared a NEW release, just because you never know. I'm glad i waited.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure why anyone would even pay MSRP when you can get an 05 EVO for below invoice right now. All that cash you save on the 9 can build an 8 to an 11 second car.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imapunkclaimer
you should never pay markup. its just straight profit for them so they can obviously negotioate that pretty easily. only thing is that they know some idiot people will pay that so they will keep the markup until the hype dies down. yea its BS, but its also a business to make money.
believe me they already make more than enough. they dont need more. used to work at a dealership, dont pay more than markup. they will do anything to sell those cars.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PCW

PCW
Good luck with Mitsu dealers in the Sac area (Sacto and Roseville Mitsu) man, they're bastards.

Quick Reply: Dealer Mark-Up BS