Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Video on possible DSG transmission

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timujin
I sold my 05 and am now waiting on something cool to come out. I have driven 3 GTI MKVs with DSG and I like it. I took my DMV test in a manual and have been clutching motorcycles since I was 6 years old so I know how to shift gears and love to.

DSG works...FAST and it even blips the engine when you down shift with the paddles. Shifts are really like turning on a light. The engine even "pops/vents" in between shifts at moderate boost building speeds. It's ****in cool peeps.

If the next EVO comes with a DSG tranny I will start a fund for my next EVO. A powerful car like the EVO with a DSG would be a straight up rocket. One boost climb and bam it's ON as the boost stays put in between shifts....are ****ing kidding me???

Flight # X you are cleared for take off.
you are so right in so many ways! i'm predicting the evo x with dsg (if it becomes available) will have 0-60 times around 4.5 seconds stock.

Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by purecoda
you are so right in so many ways! i'm predicting the evo x with dsg (if it becomes available) will have 0-60 times around 4.5 seconds stock.

You are right too.

I get silly just thinking about the potential of the next EVO.

As I read somewhere I just hope the price stays under 40k.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldnt even consider trading in my IX MR for a X unless they offered a 6speed manual... DSG sucks. My mothers Audi A4 has it and I have also driven an Audi TT 3.2 with DSG... you loose so much driver control its rediculous... yeah the actual shifting of the gears may be quicker, but there is a delay time from when you push the button to shift and the time it takes before it makes the shift... so in order for it to shift when you want it to you have to push the shift button 500 rpm or more ahead of time and hope that it shifts when you want it to (in the A4, not as bad in the TT). Anyway, go test drive an Audi and try to tell me that it would preform better through winding twisting roads or a track than a traditional manual transmission (unless of course you cant drive a manual or dont know how to launch properly). Seriously, go drive one and see for yourself- DSG sucks.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purecoda

Wont be due to the DSG- only due to an increase in power with the new X.
0-60 time is mostly effected by the driver and how well they launch.... Current Evo 9s can hit a 4.6-4.7 sec 0-60 when launched correctly.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
I wouldnt even consider trading in my IX MR for a X unless they offered a 6speed manual... DSG sucks.
You wont be saying that once the final HP figures are out for the X!
Old May 17, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

i hope it does have the dsg.... i just want a new experience.....ferrari sems to like em.....

and i hope its near $40k so less 17 yr olds are driving them
Old May 17, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I won't be able to afford it...
Old May 17, 2006, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rookie84
The only downside I can see is that the car cannot be launced properly unless there is a launch control programmed from factory, which A3's do not have.
Unfortunately you're probably not going to see any kind of launch control on a US vehicle variant. Ferrari, porsche, lambo, and all the other exotics and performance cars in the US lack launch control when their European counterparts get it. Its based on various laws, liability crap, etc.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Well, our GTI has DSG and I can honestly say its pretty damn good. It's quick, fun and ultra responsive. I can definetly say it's the best automatic I have had the pleasure of driving.
Old May 24, 2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
I wouldnt even consider trading in my IX MR for a X unless they offered a 6speed manual... DSG sucks. My mothers Audi A4 has it and I have also driven an Audi TT 3.2 with DSG... you loose so much driver control its rediculous... yeah the actual shifting of the gears may be quicker, but there is a delay time from when you push the button to shift and the time it takes before it makes the shift... so in order for it to shift when you want it to you have to push the shift button 500 rpm or more ahead of time and hope that it shifts when you want it to (in the A4, not as bad in the TT). Anyway, go test drive an Audi and try to tell me that it would preform better through winding twisting roads or a track than a traditional manual transmission (unless of course you cant drive a manual or dont know how to launch properly). Seriously, go drive one and see for yourself- DSG sucks.
from people that have driven the vw/audi dsg transmission is new and improved in the new cars. there isn't the lag that there was on past models.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This version has audio and the commentary is in English:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...45337871038412
Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:10 PM
Account Disabled

Damn i would love to have that.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Question I have is how good are the clutches? At what power level will the clutches fail? 80% of evo owners mod there car and need an upgraded clutch.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

my next car will have dsg
Old Aug 7, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Question I have is how good are the clutches? At what power level will the clutches fail? 80% of evo owners mod there car and need an upgraded clutch.

thats my question. I wonder how the DSG is going to hold up to increased HP, or if the clutches can be feasibly upgraded... (this isn't directed @ 94awdcoupe) As for the DSG not responding quickly... are you sure it was a DSG? The DSGs i've driven have been razor sharp. I could drive much much faster with a DSG than a manual. Perfect revmatch on every downshift... mmmmmm....

i hope it does have the dsg.... i just want a new experience.....ferrari sems to like em.....
ferrari doesn't have a DSG.

Last edited by Evoandy; Aug 8, 2006 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Video on possible DSG transmission