Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Video on possible DSG transmission

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew LB
Unfortunately you're probably not going to see any kind of launch control on a US vehicle variant. Ferrari, porsche, lambo, and all the other exotics and performance cars in the US lack launch control when their European counterparts get it. Its based on various laws, liability crap, etc.
I'm sure we will find a way to add it!
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:34 AM

Anyone ever wonder how much hp and tq the tranny will hold?????
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the tranny will be the weak point since Mitsubishi is getting rid of the 4G63 and going with an Aluminum block. My guess is that the new motor will have a much lower power potential due to a weaker block, and we won't see any 700+ HP X's running around. I hope I'm wrong though, because the DSG looks awesome.

Also, I believe I read that Ferrari did buy their transmission from VW/Audi.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by outsider
Well, our GTI has DSG and I can honestly say its pretty damn good. It's quick, fun and ultra responsive. I can definetly say it's the best automatic I have had the pleasure of driving.
i've heard the same things from a friend of mine who knows someone has a dsg tranny new gti. he tells me its very nice and blah blah blah. i mean sure its probably ALOT better then a regular auto tranny, but in no way can it be as good as a real 5 or 6 speed manual tranny. imo
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:55 AM

very informative thread
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
I wouldnt even consider trading in my IX MR for a X unless they offered a 6speed manual... DSG sucks. My mothers Audi A4 has it and I have also driven an Audi TT 3.2 with DSG... you loose so much driver control its rediculous... yeah the actual shifting of the gears may be quicker, but there is a delay time from when you push the button to shift and the time it takes before it makes the shift... so in order for it to shift when you want it to you have to push the shift button 500 rpm or more ahead of time and hope that it shifts when you want it to (in the A4, not as bad in the TT). Anyway, go test drive an Audi and try to tell me that it would preform better through winding twisting roads or a track than a traditional manual transmission (unless of course you cant drive a manual or dont know how to launch properly). Seriously, go drive one and see for yourself- DSG sucks.
Just as an FYI, the A4 doesn't come with DSG. The TT 3.2 does though. If you honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two other than it being "not as bad in the TT" then I wouldn't trust your opinion. From what I've experienced and read/seen, DSG is as good as the other posters have been mentioning.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:28 PM

i have just test drove the new gti with dsg, and wow... to all the people that say "get a real six speed" you need to try it before you bash it! there is no way you could shift this fast. Yes, driver skill is lost, and yes, you are less in control of the car... but lets see you beat one! by the way... the gti does have launch control, so it is not in fact illegal in the U.S. I used it, i was impressed, but im not big fan of wheelspin... im a little more reserved i guess...

i have a little link to show you how manual vs manumatic stack up... and what launch control is all about!

6 spd vs dsg

Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

i think they wont hold up to increased horsepower but who knows i would love to have that in my evo as my shifts suck
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
Unfortunately you're probably not going to see any kind of launch control on a US vehicle variant. Ferrari, porsche, lambo, and all the other exotics and performance cars in the US lack launch control when their European counterparts get it. Its based on various laws, liability crap, etc.
what are you talking about the e46 m3, the e60 m5, and e63/64 m6 all have launch control on there smg and the e46 works pretty damn good too, m5/m6 have to much power ond just smokem on and off till it hooks but its still fun