Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

What does the EVO X going to mean for the tuners and vendors we have now?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Thanks for your reply, I agree with you but what I was wondering was about our shops right now. This is actually pretty tough to discuss and may be a little early to discuss, when there is still limited info about the X. I guess we will just wait and see, in the end I believe the X will be a great car
Shops now are the shops i was talking about. Its not like all 8s and 9s are gonna just vanish as soon as the release of the X comes(or are they.....). The development of parts will be relative to the demand of the car. More people will still be concerned with 8s and 9s when the X is out at first. As more people get Xs, more parts/modifications will be available.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you'll find that since the X will be used by the Works team in 08 we should see a few ideas come from there. Also any team who decides they would like to use the X as a track car will need to make improvements. Necessity is the Mother of Invention, I think is how it goes. New shops will come, but I think you'll need to sift through the crap to get quality. The main thing will be tuning again, without it, nothing else will matter. So, AMS and the likes should still be at the heart. Give it 3 Years for some real power IMO.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SWOLN
I think you'll find that since the X will be used by the Works team in 08 we should see a few ideas come from there. Also any team who decides they would like to use the X as a track car will need to make improvements. Necessity is the Mother of Invention, I think is how it goes. New shops will come, but I think you'll need to sift through the crap to get quality. The main thing will be tuning again, without it, nothing else will matter. So, AMS and the likes should still be at the heart. Give it 3 Years for some real power IMO.
Yeah you might have to source early stuff from Ralliart since they normally get a sneak peak first off, but by the time they hit our shores they will have been out for a good while in Japan and Europe and you can bet we will have at least some bolt-ons to tide us over until the real go-fast parts arrive...and I actually have an '03 w/ just an exhaust, boost controller, and reflash and I like it just fine...so bolt-ons are enough for me...
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by machron1
Ummmmmmmm the SRT-4 had a run of what, 3 years? There are bolt-ons galore for that thing. It's running the same type of engine we will see in the Evo. It's funny how people get scared when new stuff comes out. Yeah it takes a while and if you want to drive it off the showroom floor and turn it into a dragster it won't happen for a while. But it will come in time...
Where do you get your facts from? There is no truth to the X getting the SRT4 motor, so just leave it at that.

Far as the questions goes, new turners will jump on it because the enthusiast will shell the money to pay for it. Current garages like AMS, Turbotrixs and Dynoflash are not just going to abandon the X market because a new engine, please... they are in it for the money, and if we throw it at them, they will take it. Also, take into account that it is still an evo and there will be a vast market for the car, period.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Where do you get your facts from? There is no truth to the X getting the SRT4 motor, so just leave it at that.
Not the same engine, same TYPE of engine, aka World Engine...but yeah if by chance it retains the 4g63 then even better. My point is, the aftermarket was quick to jump on the SRT-4 and you can turn it into a dragster with bolt-ons now if you want. Same with every Evo ever made and I'm sure it will include the X...unless they really screw up the X and nobody cares about it...like they did w/ the 3g eclipse...

Last edited by machron1; Jun 21, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not the same engine, same TYPE of engine, aka World Engine...but yeah if by chance it retains the 4g63 then even better.
It is not going to retain the 4G63.

...unless they really screw up the X and nobody cars about it...like they did w/ the 2g eclipse...
I'm guessing that is a typo and you meant 3G, because the aftermarket loves the 2G.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I'm guessing that is a typo and you meant 3G, because the aftermarket loves the 2G.
Yes 3g, edited, thanks.

Oh and I know it's going to have the World Engine it's just that somebody was like "you don't KNOW that's it's just speculation..." so I was trying to appease them.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

The big tuning companies will very likely be given access to EvoX's a number of months before the vehicles are available for sale. The manufacturer will at times give a tuner an early example of a car to allow them the ability to create parts. SEMA in conjunction with the manufacturer also makes certain cars available at a 3rd party location for measurement and testing before that vehicle is officially launched. This allows tuning companies to have parts available for the vehicle at or very close to the launch date of that vehicle. The Evo X will be no different.

The reason the parts are not coming out quickly for the IX is simple. That car was originally to be around for llittle more than one model year. It was only meant to bridge the gap between the 8 and the 10. That doesn't create a big market for the parts created. So manufacturers of tuning components aren't flocking to create parts when they might have difficulty recouping the costs to create those parts.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:43 PM
Ike
Evolving Member

I'll be shocked if the tuning market will ever be as big for the new engine as it is for the 4G63, but few markets for any engine ever will be. I also think the market will be a little softer due to the direction Mitsubishi is going with the new car. I think the owners of the X will be a little more mature and less likely to go crazy with mods. Then again, Mitsubishi may sell a lot more Xs for that reason and it may help drive the market to produce aftermarket parts.

No matter what happens with the new car a good amount of parts will be available as time goes on, but I doubt it'll be as easy and quick as many people are making it out to be.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ike
I also think the market will be a little softer due to the direction Mitsubishi is going with the new car.
Well, we aren't sure what will happen yet. So long as keeps producing cars able to compete in the Group-N turbo AWD classes, there shouldn't be any problems tuning it. As soon as the purpose of the car changes direction, yeah it will be like a 3g eclipse...
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:24 PM
Ike
Evolving Member

Well, we aren't sure what will happen yet. So long as keeps producing cars able to compete in the Group-N turbo AWD classes, there shouldn't be any problems tuning it. As soon as the purpose of the car changes direction, yeah it will be like a 3g eclipse...
Homologation is nearly dead, I don't see that as being much of a factor with the direction of the Evo and STI anymore. Should the X end up being pricier and more upscale as far as amenities you're going to see a lot more of them driven by your more typical consumer rather than strictly enthusiasts.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ike
Homologation is nearly dead, I don't see that as being much of a factor with the direction of the Evo and STI anymore. Should the X end up being pricier and more upscale as far as amenities you're going to see a lot more of them driven by your more typical consumer rather than strictly enthusiasts.
You are mixing up WRC and just about every other form of rallying. WRC cars are now purpose-built rally cars because homologation rules have been relaxed. The rest are exclusively production-based, such as Groupe-N, and I somehow doubt would leave their loyal customers hanging. But, you never know...
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't done alot of research on the X but ive done some. As far as I know the X is going to come to us with a DSG gearbox and direct port fuel injection. I havent seen any cars with these features make any decent power. Of course its an EVO and the car is going to handle well. But I really dont forsee a big 1/4 mile following from this car as it is in the current platforms. and I dont think that people are going to be ripping out a DSG gearbox to put in a manual tranny with an adapter plate. so to answer your question in my oppinion I dont think our current tuners will offer much aside from intake/exhaust, suspension,
Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hopper
I haven't done alot of research on the X but ive done some. As far as I know the X is going to come to us with a DSG gearbox and direct port fuel injection. I havent seen any cars with these features make any decent power. Of course its an EVO and the car is going to handle well. But I really dont forsee a big 1/4 mile following from this car as it is in the current platforms. and I dont think that people are going to be ripping out a DSG gearbox to put in a manual tranny with an adapter plate. so to answer your question in my oppinion I dont think our current tuners will offer much aside from intake/exhaust, suspension,
Direct injection seems to be where engines are going for both fuel-efficiency and power, and they seem to be delivering. DSG is the Audi group's sequential manual gearbox, but that same system will definitely not be in the X. Look for something else, I'm assuming a unit derived from the WRC sequential gearboxes. However, just as the DSG is an option on Volkswagens and Audis, it should be an option on Evos as well. If they have stupid power restrictions on the sequential box like the DSG I would not get it, but if it's a real race-derived unit like the Ferrari gearbox, I'm all for it.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

I was under the impression that DSG was going to be sourced from the same manufacturer that Audi/VW gets theirs from.

Anyway, I remember when I got the car in March 2003, there where very few parts available and the prices where high. Now I can almost always find a good deal on something from various vendors. It only took 3 years for that to happen. I think the same will happen for the Evo X so long as it still appeals to the enthusiast.

Quick Reply: What does the EVO X going to mean for the tuners and vendors we have now?