Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

What does the EVO X going to mean for the tuners and vendors we have now?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the EVO X going to mean for the tuners and vendors we have now?

I remember reading something about this and decided to start a thread about this here and to get your thoughts on this. Hopefully this is not a repost.

The EVO X, what do you think the all new EVO X will mean for the tuners we have now? Are we going to see some new tuners jump into the mix or will a lot of the tuners who have for years dealt with the 4G63 going to make the transition over to the EVO X? How long do you think it will take for some pretty good bolt on mods and then some serious mods to be available for the EVO X? Should be interesting.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is obvious to me. They will add support for the new car and keep providing services for the old ones.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
It is obvious to me. They will add support for the new car and keep providing services for the old ones.
So you honestly believe it will be that easy? Take a look at the EVO IX, how many turboback exhausts are specifically available for the IX, how long did it take for a set of cams and how many are even available for purchase right now (only turbotrix has a set available for purchase right now). Other than an Ecutek flash, how many different versions of flashes are available for the IX? How about Exedy, still not available for the IX? I already know the answers to these questions, hopefully you do too. parts have been so slow for the IX, and it still has the 4G63, I honestly don't think the transition will be as obvious or easy.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

It takes time, jeeeez.

The answer is, yes, everything that we have for the 8's we will have in some form or variation for the 10's thats a fact, unless its twin charged rotary, I do not forsee major issues with anything regarding making aftermarket parts for it...

Scorke
Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with 3000ways on this one; i think it is going to be a significant change, and i think we will loose some vendors/tuners to the Evo X. At the same time, we will gain new ones though to compensate; it's how the market has always been.

I mean, it seems you are implying the X won't use a 4g63, which at this point from what i have seen, it has been speculated that it will still use the traditional motor. As far as the tranny goes and if Shep will still be in the game and how long it is going to take Quaiffe to put out an offering, my guess is as good as anyones.

Basically all we have to remember is some tuners adapt, and some new tuners come into the market place; X owners won't be at a shortfall.

Oh and i read that other thread, and i think AMS should go over the the Nissan GTR also, because i am .
Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Unless its twin charged rotary, I do not forsee major issues with anything regarding making aftermarket parts for it...

Scorke
Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
So you honestly believe it will be that easy?
Yes.

Take a look at the EVO IX, how many turboback exhausts are specifically available for the IX
What does it matter? What about the IX makes it different from an '05 that also has ACD? So instead of ten googleplex choices, you've only got like eleventy. Oh no.

how long did it take for a set of cams and how many are even available for purchase right now (only turbotrix has a set available for purchase right now).
So just use one exhaust cam and be happy with 500whp or less like JUN's time attack IX. OR go complete standalaone and make whatever power you can afford.

I honestly don't think the transition will be as obvious or easy.
There is no transition. They'll just start developing other parts along side the ones being developed for the new car. All the other technology already exists.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummmmmmmm the SRT-4 had a run of what, 3 years? There are bolt-ons galore for that thing. It's running the same type of engine we will see in the Evo. It's funny how people get scared when new stuff comes out. Yeah it takes a while and if you want to drive it off the showroom floor and turn it into a dragster it won't happen for a while. But it will come in time...
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Yes.

What does it matter? What about the IX makes it different from an '05 that also has ACD? So instead of ten googleplex choices, you've only got like eleventy. Oh no.

So just use one exhaust cam and be happy with 500whp or less like JUN's time attack IX. OR go complete standalaone and make whatever power you can afford.

There is no transition. They'll just start developing other parts along side the ones being developed for the new car. All the other technology already exists.
You say yes, I say no. Hey call it what you want to, but I would like to have a googleplex of choices, other than eleventy (what ever number that is) or in reality the very few we have. Take for instance cams, I'd rather pick and choose from a smorgus board of choices, than settle for ones costing $1,000.

Also what makes the IX different than the VIII, more than you would think, this info has been put out many times on this forum, I guess you were absent those days. Also this is besides the point, the question is not if people will be able to tune the X, extract power from it, or how long it will take. The question is what impact the X will have on the vendors we have now, please do not give me answers that obviously are completely stated from your personal opinion, but lacking in many facts.

The point of this thread is point out a pattern in which I see of our most popular tuners today moving at a snail pace to transitioning into the newer models of the Evolution. How many of these popular tuners such as AMS, Buschur, Dyno Flash, Vishnu, and etc. even have a IX as a shop car? There should already be many and many choices for the IX, but honestly to this day this still does not exist, and the X is just around the corner.

Sure the tuners flash a couple of EVO IXs here and there, but read their threads and you'll notice how shocked and amazed they are each time the IX makes outstanding numbers, which makes me think they still are learning more and more about the IX each time they tune or add newer parts. Nothing wrong with that, but the pace is awfully slow, and it's been nearly year, and how many IXs run stand alones, very, very few. Exede still not available. Most turboback exhaust still don't fit and IX owners have to start countless numbers of threads asking "What is the best exhaust for the IX". We don't even know an ounce of the true potential of the IX, in which may be the best EVO platform ever. Who knows IXs with GT42R Turbos and AMS know how could easily be pushing numbers close to 1100WHP.

Why haven't the tuners made a tremendous effort into the newer models? I understand that the VIIIs are the bulk of the business for now, but the EVO is doing exactly what it is called, and that's evolving, and evolving at a quick pace and it seems at a much quicker pace than the tuners we currently have.

Does this mean doom and gloom for the X, of course not, there will always be somebody there to tune the EVO, whether it be VIII, IX, or X. Who will it be, that is the question I would like to discuss, keep saying the transition of AMS and Dyno Flash will be so easy, when they haven't even made a complete transition into IX yet. It takes time, I realize this, and just like I stated earlier, the EVO evolves very quickly and tuners have to keep pace.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Ummmmmmmm the SRT-4 had a run of what, 3 years? There are bolt-ons galore for that thing. It's running the same type of engine we will see in the Evo. It's funny how people get scared when new stuff comes out.
Ummmmmmmm let's hope not, nothing impresses me about the SRT-4 other than it's MSRP price

Nobody is scared here, the X will be bad *** in my opinion, but I just wonder what impact this could have on our tuners today?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

It's hard to discuss this, most of the answers I'm getting aren't really what I want discussed, and we seem to be talking about totally different things and coming from different perspectives. How can we discuss this, if people don't already understand there are plenty of differences between an VIII and IX.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

First, shops will acquire one. Depending on their funds/connections, this could take longer because the X is supposted to be a lot more than the IX.

Second, tuners/shops will look for obvious factory restrictions to resolve and improvements to make with bolt ons.

By then someone will probably have found out how to reprogram the ecu. And flashing will be available.

After using the X for a while shops/tuners will apply innovative designs to come up with their own turbo/engine kits to make the machine a monster.

Most shops will probably be in a race to get it done first no matter what "it" is so I dont think it'll be too long until you see a good amount of parts out. It'll also depend on the availability/demand for the Xs. You never know they might not sell as good because they'll be pricier. I think basically, the better they sell, the faster we'll see parts. Probably a few months, minimum, people will have sumthin out for it.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LetItBreath
First, shops will acquire one. Depending on their funds/connections, this could take longer because the X is supposted to be a lot more than the IX.

Second, tuners/shops will look for obvious factory restrictions to resolve and improvements to make with bolt ons.

By then someone will probably have found out how to reprogram the ecu. And flashing will be available.

After using the X for a while shops/tuners will apply innovative designs to come up with their own turbo/engine kits to make the machine a monster.

Most shops will probably be in a race to get it done first no matter what "it" is so I dont think it'll be too long until you see a good amount of parts out. It'll also depend on the availability/demand for the Xs. You never know they might not sell as good because they'll be pricier. I think basically, the better they sell, the faster we'll see parts. Probably a few months, minimum, people will have sumthin out for it.
Thanks for your reply, I agree with you but what I was wondering was about our shops right now. This is actually pretty tough to discuss and may be a little early to discuss, when there is still limited info about the X. I guess we will just wait and see, in the end I believe the X will be a great car
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Also what makes the IX different than the VIII, more than you would think, this info has been put out many times on this forum, I guess you were absent those days.
I wish I could make this smiley like, 20 times bigger. I realize there are several differences between the VIII and IX, I was specifically talking about the exhaust.

please do not give me answers that obviously are completely stated from your personal opinion, but lacking in many facts.
You want facts about the future of a car that hasn't even come out yet. OMG.

There should already be many and many choices for the IX, but honestly to this day this still does not exist, and the X is just around the corner.
I think you are overreacting, and this is just another one of your typical sky is falling posts. You'll be all right, I promise.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jun 20, 2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Take for instance cams, I'd rather pick and choose from a smorgus board of choices, than settle for ones costing $1,000.
Maybe that's the price you'll have to pay for having the newest thing out that is different from the rest. Maybe it won't stay that way, but maybe it will. So what? Where is it written cams have to be $600 or less? What if you had a DOHC Subaru and had to buy 4 cams, and had to pay $800-1000? That's the price they pay for being boxters. This is one of the main reasons I chose an VIII over a IX because I knew this would happen, but I still wouldn't whine about it if I did. MIVEC is great, but its different.

Different takes more time and costs more money.

Quick Reply: What does the EVO X going to mean for the tuners and vendors we have now?