Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

2007 Japanese Evo IX (Edmunds)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Japanese Evo IX (Edmunds)

I didn't see this posted on here, but here is some info on the '07 Japanese Evo IX Mr.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=117712

This 2007 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR is like the ultimate PlayStation2, the final tune-up of a now familiar gaming platform. Even as the line already begins to form for the Evo X as if it were PlayStation3 (though we don't expect Mitsubishi to even show us this all-new car until the Tokyo Motor Show next fall), the 2007 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR has been given a few last tweaks from the hands of the Zen masters at Mitsubishi's Okazaki proving grounds near Nagoya, Japan.

Same turbo power, better throttle control
There have been 14 different Evo models over the course of the last 14 years, and the car has slowly evolved from a gravel-friendly clone of Mitsubishi's entry in the World Rally Championship into a high-speed pavement racer tuned at the Nürburgring circuit in Germany. Now this final calibration of the competition-ready Evo IX MR strikes us as a dedicated street racer, a more maneuverable car destined for track day events instead of hair-raising laps of the Nordschleife.

When variable valve timing was adapted to Mitsubishi's intercooled, turbocharged, DOHC 2.0-liter inline-4 for the 2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX, it became a lot easier to put the power of the famous 4G63 engine to good use in everyday driving. For the 2007 Mitsubishi Evo IX, the peak output of this latest engine calibration remains the same as before at 286 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and the torque rating is also unchanged at 289 pound-feet at 3,500 rpm, but a number of tiny tweaks have delivered the kind of throttle control that pavement racers want.

To begin with, slightly revised turbine and compressor wheels help the turbocharger spool up quicker, building boost lower in the engine's rpm range than before. With a slightly different spark curve and a new fuel delivery profile burned into the engine's electrical control unit, the result is quicker, cleaner throttle response at low rpm plus improved fuel-efficiency.

More magic in the corners
Every time we've driven a new Evo generation over the past few years, the Mitsubishi engineers claim that they've reached the limit with their tuning of the car's Active Yaw Control (AYC), which determines the calibration of the Evo's center differential. But just like race mechanics in the World Rally Championship, they've altered the Evo IX's setup yet again in order to deliver 10-percent more power to the outside rear wheel during cornering.

To match the AYC change, the suspension setup also has been changed. As before, the MR is the only model of the Evo IX to carry Bilstein dampers, and this high-pressure gas-charged design affords precise control even for small suspension movement. New Eibach springs are now 25-percent stiffer than before and also reduce the ride height by 10mm. And, finally, an even stickier version of the 235/45WR-17 Yokohama ADVAN tires are fitted to the MR's lightweight, forged-aluminum BBS wheels.

Sit down and hold tight
When we let loose this newest Evo IX on the track, its performance was jaw-dropping. Hit the brakes hard and feel the front four-piston Brembo calipers do their work, match the engine revs to bring this clean-shifting six-speed transmission down into 2nd gear, cut the steering wheel toward the corner, and whoa the Evo IX pivots sharply toward the apex. All that engine torque directed to the outside rear wheel makes the front end of the MR tuck right into corners far quicker than before.

Even if you go into a corner too hot, taking the MR beyond the limits of adhesion and making its tires scramble for grip, just lay your foot into the gas and let the all-wheel-drive chassis do its work. The mechanical limited-slip differential between the rear wheels and the helical limited-slip between the front wheels work together to help the tires hook up, stabilizing the car's cornering attitude, and then the MR tracks straight to the exit without a wobble. A new, more effective front airdam also adds a little front downforce to further help the car track straight and true.

A taxicab we can live with
Aside from the front airdam, there are no appearance differences between this evolutionary Evo IX and the previous model, and it still looks like a cross between a taxicab, a Nike running shoe and a Gundam robot.

The Evo's interior also remains largely the same, basic and bland. No plush leather, soft-touch switches or ergonomic niceties. Well, there are now black instrument faces for the speedometer and tachometer. And the Recaro seats are new, although you'll probably not even notice.

For all this, the revised Evo seems to drive very well on the street. Despite the stiffer springs, the ride quality actually feels better than before, in Japan at least.

The Mitsubishi Evo has come a long way in 14 years and this revised Evo IX is the best yet. One Mitsubishi engineer told me that he and his colleagues wanted this car to finish its life on a high note, and they worked hard to extract every last bit of engine response and cornering traction from the package.

It makes you wonder just how much better the Mitsubishi Evo X will be. Maybe I'll get in line for one right now, just in case.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

well this sucks, why cant we get an 07 evo IX.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:36 PM

so are they offering this in the US?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ No, hints the title "2007 Japanese"
Originally Posted by su37su
well this sucks, why cant we get an 07 evo IX.
... because MMNA made an annocument eons ago that there will be no 2007 Evo, 2006 is the last year.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Man, just when you thought you were satisfied! We already miss out on the S-AYC, and now more power down low, better fuel efficiency, and an even better version of the AYC that we already don't have?!?! The Japanese have all the fun.... unless, of course, you consider the FQ Evos.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

I dont see any different between the 2007 Japanese Evo IX and the 2006 US Evo IX. I don't think Evos will be sold out by the end of this month, I've been to the several dealerships here in California and they still have plenty.

Anyways what is the difference? did I miss something?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tYPE-r
I dont see any different between the 2007 Japanese Evo IX and the 2006 US Evo IX. I don't think Evos will be sold out by the end of this month, I've been to the several dealerships here in California and they still have plenty.

Anyways what is the difference? did I miss something?
did you even bother to read the article? JDM EVO's come with S-AYC. something we don't get at all. well their 07 IX has an even better version of the S-AYC, along with a remapped ECU, and redisigned turbine and compressor wheels to deliver better throttle response, more power down low, and better fuel efficiency than the 06 IX. i'd say you missed something
Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

looks like they got the SE with more than just an apperience package
Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

well i dont understand because i passed by a local dealership and they said they are getting another batch of Evos in the next 2 months....i thought everyone on here were saying that there wont be any more Evos in 2007???
Old Dec 13, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

you wont be able to get any regular ones i believe, only SE's
Old Dec 13, 2006, 09:43 PM
Pocket Mo

Is it just my eyes or do the Japanese even get better intercooler rubber piping?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not just your eyes, that does in fact look better. Anyone notice that clean paino black dash too?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

good read.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

well you guys wanna know why?
cuz they revidsed the ayc which we dont have
so wuz the point to bring a car over?
this way the save more money and ready for the 10
Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

jdm

domestic JDM cars are always top of the line. We get the "stripped" versions. IF we didnt, damn thing would go for over 40K, and then many of us would not be able to afford it. then again, you pay 33 for the car and then you end up spending another 7 to make it as good as the JDM stock

but i guess they will not hold back on the skyline, but because of the way they market these cars in US, Nissan might have a tough time sellin and 80K car with the name Nissan and not Infinity. Time will tell, they might sell a thousand of them but at 80 K a whack, thats 80mil.

OK, OK 2000 units, thats a more respectable 160 million,..

a year

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
Is it just my eyes or do the Japanese even get better intercooler rubber piping?

Quick Reply: 2007 Japanese Evo IX (Edmunds)