Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.
View Poll Results: Would you buy an Evo X if it came with a bunch of toys and upgraded interior?
Yes. I'm tired of the spartan interior and lack of amenities.
50.39%
No. I'm a purist and would hate to see the Evo X defiled by comfort and convenience options.
49.61%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Would anyone prefer it if the Evo X came with a lot of bells and whistles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would anyone prefer it if the Evo X came with a lot of bells and whistles?

I'm curious about how many people on this forum secretly covet an Evo that came stock with navigtation, in-dash DVD, cruise control, heated leather seats, bluetooth, etc. How many of you are purists and would actually steer clear of the Evo if it eventually became more of a luxury sports coupe? How many would openly rejoice if performance weren't compromised in the least and it came with all of the techno toys available on the market? I, for one, would be delighted if the Evo eventually evolved to compete with the European sports sedans. Anyone else feel that way?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

I don't... And that's what I'm looking at right now... The Evo belongs in the 35k or less range supersport-sedan... If it tries to compete with the Euro/Non-Euro Luxury-Sports sedans then I'm afraid it might end up being less of a sports car... However, if somehow they maintain the price and performance and add all the tech things that would be pretty cool though, and make the Evo even more of a super car (faster than a lambo, more luxurious than a BMW, what the hell else is anyone going to buy? ) Right now its just faster than a lambo and more luxurious than a 1987 GMC Sierra... maybe
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

No, if I wanted an RS4, I would have bought a 3800lb RS4(great car but to heavy)! It is not even a price issue, I would be happy to spend $50K on an Evo and get some better materials on the interior and other places but the performance would still have to be there along with a lack of weight and electronic garbage.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 04:11 PM

Why would adding those sorts of things compromise performance? I don't get the correlation.

The interior of the current Evo's belongs in the 90's. If they maintain the current interiors lack of refinement I for one won't be buying the X.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:11 PM

Well, yes the extra features would be great except for the fact that BOTH price and performance would be reduced because of it. If they could keep the price where it is, performance extremely high, and add the gadgets that would be ideal but it won't happen.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

no keep it sparse please
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by capncrunch
Why would adding those sorts of things compromise performance? I don't get the correlation.
look at the evolution of the BMW M3. each generation (E30, E36, E46) added more amenities and more weight. they also added more power but the edginess of the car was lost in the E46. it became a touring car. without a significant power increase, the Evo X has the potential of being a pig if it has too many extra amenities.
-Chris
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Decent Interior and Nav system .. k thx!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Maintain the Evo identity by leaving out the bells and whistles. Too often, OEMs lose focus on their brands and their cars become a hodgepodge of blandness.

The interior needs revision but it should avoid the cost and weight-adding (i.e. performance-robbing) features that brands like Audi and BMW love. They shouldn't move the Evo upmarket and attempt to compete with Euro luxury sedans, because they'll lose. Things like Nav, DVD, HD/Sat radio, and Bluetooth can be easily added by the consumer if wanted.

I just installed an aftermarket headunit with an Ipod hookup and Bluetooth option, which is enough for me. I'm too involved in the driving experience to bother with more ICE, or to notice the dated dashboard. The seats, steering wheel, gearshift, and pedals are excellent, and that's what matters to me.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:51 AM

I believe that these "luxury" options need to be added. For no other reason than that is what is becoming the standard. Not too long ago, A/C, power windows, even a radio was a luxury option. Today these things are standard on almost all cars regardless of their class and we as consumers expect and demand them. If the new Evo is going to compete in any sort of market, it will need the items that are quickly becoming standard in all cars such as NAV, Sat radio, and better quality interior material.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AkYap
I believe that these "luxury" options need to be added. For no other reason than that is what is becoming the standard. Not too long ago, A/C, power windows, even a radio was a luxury option. Today these things are standard on almost all cars regardless of their class and we as consumers expect and demand them. If the new Evo is going to compete in any sort of market, it will need the items that are quickly becoming standard in all cars such as NAV, Sat radio, and better quality interior material.
i completely disagree. the evo/sti has always been marketed toward performance enthusiasts. if you want a luxury-performance car, look toward bmw/audi/mercedes. you have to remember the evo/sti started as RALLY cars...and to stay true to their heritage/customer following, they would avoid these amenities. to introduce all of these luxury items into an evo/sti would be to change its image thereby changing its customer-base. i agree with better quality/appearing aesthetics for the interior, but items such as nav/sat radio etc can be added aftermarket if you really want it. dont make the evo into something its not supposed to be.
-Chris
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

only if it's more performance bells ;-)
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:23 PM

One thing that Mitsubishi does get right is the option pkg. on the current Evo. There has to be at least 3 - 4 trim levels. A Hardcore RS lightweight would be cool. A luxo one with leather and the paddle shifter that smokes an M3 would be great - even if it does cost $45K (what else out there would be better). In the middle would be a GSR trim package that is basically the concept car.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:29 PM
Account Disabled

The only bells and whistles I want are AC, power windows and door locks, and a radio with a single disk CD player.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:33 AM

I can think of a good example.... the new 2008 VW R32 that's coming out gained about 250 in curb weight (more if w/ nav system) and no increase in performance. The claim that the DSG makes it on par or faster with the 2004 but, as we all know, weight-to-power ratio is so important. Why else would we carbon-fiber everything lol.

Quick Reply: Would anyone prefer it if the Evo X came with a lot of bells and whistles?