Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Alluminum 4B11T

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Actually aluminum is more expensive than iron and it's not really true that you can get more performance out of a cast iron engine. Properly shaped sleeved aluminum engine will not only be lighter but also as capable as it's iron block counterpart. Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, they all use aluminum engines, I don't think those companies want to save money, aluminum is just a better building material. Aluminum is lighter, conducts heat better, and because it conducts heat better it won;t reach as high of temperature than it's equivalent iron block counterpart. 4G63, although a great engine for it's time, is 25 years old, it's rather heavy based on todays standards, it's not as fuel/emission efficient as todays modern engines. It's time for something new.
I agree with all you said, by the way, you saved me a good paragraph of explaining. Also the aluminium block are much better against build up of coolant residual crap and oil sludge build up.

Carlos
Old May 10, 2007, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spec'd
Good find on that video.

That motor is similar to most contemporary motors these days.
A trend of absolute GARBAGE. Plastic valve covers, plastic intake manifolds,
light weight open decked aluminum block, light weight internals.
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE !!!

I can guarantee you that 4b11 will not sustain the abuse the
the 4G63T is capable of withstanding.

Sort of reminds me of the QR25DE used in the Nissan Sentra SpecV.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...5de/index.html

Motors like the QR25DE are the main reason why I dumped my Sentra.
Motors like the 4B11 are the reason why, I will keep my Evo VIII.

Also Changing cams ( correctly ) will now require the replacement of
those shim buckets to obtain proper clearances.

That means a trip to the dealer. I bet those wont be cheap either.
Plus good luck on your local Mitsubishi dealer having those in stock.
Uhmm, interesting... I am in no way of demonstrating which one is better. Both engines are "good"on paper but we lack of evidence to determine if the 4B11 will outperform the 4G63.

So far the 4G63 has put the standard very high. I would be happy if the 4B11 engine produces more power, more torque and gets better gas mileage.

The plastic valve cover comment, I wouldn't streess that much, how many trillions of 4G63 owners have had cracks on their "fancy" aluminium valve cover?, the 10 mil screws snap easily and the valve cover itself cracks and leaks like a siege.

The QR25DE I wouldn't even compare it to a Mistubishi engine, Mitsubishi at least compete in big events, can you name many events in which a Nissan Sentra fitted with a QR25DE has been universally successfull?

I am not doubting you on some of your points but it is too soon to throw sand on the new 4B11 engine. But if you want to talk about garbage cheap cars look on american cars.

Your first quote was:
"That motor is similar to most contemporary motors these days"

and I say to you: really? so let me think, a Evo puts 150hp per litre and the motor is similar to contemporary motors? Cmon, give me a break. The Evo X will be another sucessfull blow to the industry, Mitsubishi motors will put this "300hp" rated Evo X on the streets that will make 400hp cars embarass.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 10, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old May 10, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
Timing chain instead of belt
What is wrong with that? reliability will increase.

Carlos
Old May 10, 2007, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing chain is where it is at, why do you think Honda switched over, more reliability... as for the 4B11t, no one really knows how well this engine is going to perform against the ancient 4G63, We will just have to wait and see when they come out and people start modding them and running them on the track.
Old May 10, 2007, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
wasnt mitsu the one that provided the motor to hyundai?

and not the other way around?
That is right. People are twisting themselves over this. Hyndays are totally copycats from a country that just recently started to get a decent industry and started to copy other manufacturers.

Do you think Mitsubishi Motors would have to even share any success with Hyunday. I don't think so.

Mitsubishi are unique and advance, they were putting fancy nice cars in the early 80s( starion turbo,mirage turbo ,tredia turbo ,cordia turbo and eclipse) while Hyunday had what? a Hynday Pony

Give me a break!

Carlos
Old May 10, 2007, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

if anyone is skeptical about the cooling efficiency of Al, just crack open your PC & examine the heatsink hovering above your chipset. now on the flipside, some Subie owners have had issues turning up the boost & melting cyl#3. most aftermarket turbo kits rotate the turbo higher so this partially goes away but i think they have to sleeve those motors as well.

let's also not forget the Acura RDX which is an Al block with sleeves that runs 13.8PSI!!!! unusual for an SUV but impressive by Honda nonetheless...
Old May 10, 2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by housedj
let's also not forget the Acura RDX which is an Al block with sleeves that runs 13.8PSI!!!! unusual for an SUV but impressive by Honda nonetheless...
Yea... but how long before it pops?
Old May 10, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

probly never, i wish Mitsubishi had the abuse factor and the reliability that Honda has!!
Old May 11, 2007, 02:15 AM

lol, if honda comes out with a turboed sports car, people gonna abuse it and there will be plenty of issues
Old May 11, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
What is wrong with that? reliability will increase.

Carlos
I just never heard of a chain before. I havn't had any reliability issues with my belt. I had the stock one for about 33k then when I got cams put in I just decided to put a new PE belt in.
Old May 11, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

well if your really want to talk about block materials, then you should be looking at the BMW 335i. its uses magniesium(sp) alloy! yes the smae stuff as F1 uprights used to be made from and its dead light!

any worries of ally blocks should be thrown out now! look at the LS1 guys. a few years ago they where all "600bhp and your lifting heads". now they have learnt to tune the car (and how important timing is!!) guys are seeing over 1000bhp on ally blocks that are DDs!

also this could mena that companies such as world castings might get into the game and come up with tall deck versions of these blocks! or even bigger bore stuff so you can push the revs even higher.

also forget problems with chains! alot of cars manufactures run them now. and the tech has come on a LONG way!

be nice to see a 6 bolt desing of this ally block though, like the LS guys are getting. imagine the boost you could run then??????

thanks Chris.
Old May 11, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Umm, the LS1 displaces 5.7 liters. So in terms of hp/liter of engine stress that 600 hp figure is only slightly above 100hp/liter. The current Evo places 1.5x that amount of stress on the motor already. The 1000 hp LS1 is only equivalent to a 350hp 2.0 liter motor, so that's about the right amount in terms of the new motor and the kind of stress it's gonna see. So how reliable is that 1000hp LS1 motor? How long will it run before it needs to be rebuilt?

I'm NOT saying it can't be done, but it is at the outer envelope of current engine technology. I would have been happier if they upped the displacement to 2.5 liters when they switched to aluminum.

Last edited by DrSmile; May 11, 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old May 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrSmile
I would have been happier if they upped the displacement to 2.5 liters when they switched to aluminum.
f*ck that, keep it WRC spec
Old May 11, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

The 4B11 is what is known as the "world" engine. The block (and only the block) were codesigned by Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi to save development costs (it costs millions to design an all new motor). Mitsu designed it's own heads, valvetrain, etc. The big change is not only the aluminum block, but the direct gas injection and better MIVEC. Direct gas injection is a big thing. The Mazdaspeed motor already has it. They run 15.6 psi with a 9.5:1 compression ratio without needing pig rich AF ratios. Those motors are clean! In addition the newer MIVEC should be more like Honda's iVTEC which continuously varies intake and exhaust timing and lift (the old VTEC was like a light switch on/off at a certain rpm). The new motor should be a lot better. But it will take time for tuners to learn this motor and ECU. Mazdaspeed 3 and 6 owners are having to go through this now. Very limited parts available and limited ECU tuning because it's a brand new motor (I'm also a proud CX7 owner which has the same motor).
Old May 11, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by chuntington101
well if your really want to talk about block materials, then you should be looking at the BMW 335i. its uses magniesium(sp) alloy!
Not true. BMW uses Magnesium in the 330i, but the turbocharged 335i does not...

Quick Reply: Alluminum 4B11T