Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Alluminum 4B11T

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I don't think this is true. While the sleeves do indeed increase the power capability of the block, you still have to realize that the crankshaft is still encapsulated in very soft aluminum (main caps). High power aluminum engines begin to twist and flex longitudinally regardless of sleeving. This is why cast iron is better for high power applications. Just look at the modular V8 mustangs, to make big power they all look to the cast iron 5.0 or terminator engines, and the regular aluminum modular 4.6's are all sleeved (and still weak as hell). The 4B11 will not be able to touch the theoretical power capability of the 4G63. I predict that while currently, there are 1200-1400 hp 4G63's lurking about at dragstrips all over the world, the 4B11 won't see any power levels above 500-600 hp. Metal is metal. While a clever structural design may increase the overall strength a bit, you can't change the physical properties of cast aluminum (unless you cryo it maybe). Just look at the history of all aluminum engines versus their cast iron counter-parts, its not like Mitsu will come out with some magical design that will increase its power capability/displacement ratio far beyond anyone else's design. When it comes to the theoretical maximum power output of an engine, think of the engine as metal box. If you drop a couple of firecrackers into a tin foil box versus one made of sheet metal, which one will blow up first? People are just going to have to accept that the 4B11 will be weaker. It however WILL be a lot lighter...I suspect Mitsu sacrificed strength for agility. The Evo X needed to lose some weight somewhere considering how much heavier the new chassis/drivetrain is.
no offence mate but have you actually looked at another car in the last few years????

WARNING!!! ok im going to mention the "S" word but its only as an example!

Subarus (he ducks for cover after putting his flame suit on!) are running around 850bhp on 2.2ltrs over here. and their blocks are not the strongest in the world, but they are ally! now if THEY can do it then why can Mitsubishi????

and whats all this bull about soft main caps??? you run forged or even billiet maincaps with cross bolts you have a VERY strong bottom end! compear the caps on the IRON BLOCKED SBC to the ally block LS engines to see the diffrence.

as for the ally ford units, have you ever heard of the Koenigsegg CCX???? its sold around the world (ie is emmisions complient) and makes 806bhp on a ford racing ALLY block! also the new green version (runs on E85) is reputed to make over 1000bhp.

also while on the toppick of V8s and power limits, have a look at the warhawk block the LS guys are about to get. world products are making this block to try and enable people to have a MASSIVELY strong block (2000bhp cappable is the word on the net! lol) whilst not going for the weight of the iron LS blocks or the new LSX. funny thats thats ally in't it?????

also take a look at the ally block the SBC guys get. Nelson Racing can sell you a 1600bhp ally block with 16 injectors if you want??? oh and yes thats an ally block!

you mentiond full on race engines, have you heard aobut the billiet block you can buy??? its what all the BIG guys are running! and you guest it they are ally.

sorry to keep going on put it needs to be said! give it a couple of years and, unless Mitsubishi make a B*LLS UP, you will be running around in a X with ALOT of power!

agian im not having a go at you inperticular sonicnofadz and im deeply sorry if it looks like i am. im just trying to contest some of your points. but im an ideot so feel free to tell me i am! lol

thanks again Chris.

PS. please keep this going. its a really intresting thread and a really good debate.
Old May 16, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

I think quite the contrary... Why wouldn't Mitsubishi want to have sales and reputation like Honda or Toyota? Remember that Toyota just passed GM as the highest volume auto manufacturer world-wide.
Old May 16, 2007, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

omg has this thread become useless.

Oh well it was good while it lasted.
Old May 16, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
I think quite the contrary... Why wouldn't Mitsubishi want to have sales and reputation like Honda or Toyota? Remember that Toyota just passed GM as the highest volume auto manufacturer world-wide.
While financially it would've been nice for Mitsu to be like Honda/Toyota, I don't think Mitsubishi Motors in it's current state can compete with Honda or Toyota. They need to take a Mazda approach and design unique cars with some spirit (sporty). Toyota and Honda are just too big and if Mitsubishi would offer bland designs just like they do, they would go bankrupt in one generation, just look at the 2002-2006 car models for Mitsubishi, they Americanized their entire lineup, made them bland, their sales dropped drastically, compare sales from 2001 to 2006 and you'll see a big difference. Mitsubishi is too small of a player to compete with the big boys, thats why instead of trying to compete with Honda/Toyota, they need to do their own unique thing ( AWD + Turbo cars ), unless they'll find a way to undercut competitors prices just like Hyundai does and then some more. But then again, I may be biased, but as I've always thought of Hyundai cars as being rather cheap/economy cars, I always thought of Mitsubishi as an affordable motorsports car brand due to their motorsports history in WRC/Dakar.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; May 16, 2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:53 AM
FLK
Evolved Member

I can't wait until all these FOOLS try to take their foot out of their mouths when the X is proven, once again, to be superior to it's previous generation.

Here's the bottom line, and something to think about.
The 4G63 in the Evo9 has reached a tuning limit in a production-ready vehicle.
The 4B11T in the Evo 10 will be it's first year baseline performance when released.

Think of how far the 4G63 has evolved. Now think about the potential for the 4B11 for the next decade.

Thank goodness we have companies from overseas who are so secure with themselves as a people to actually embrace new technology and change compared to american automakers who too often cling to retro ****.
Old May 16, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chuntington101
no offence mate but have you actually looked at another car in the last few years????

WARNING!!! ok im going to mention the "S" word but its only as an example!

Subarus (he ducks for cover after putting his flame suit on!) are running around 850bhp on 2.2ltrs over here. and their blocks are not the strongest in the world, but they are ally! now if THEY can do it then why can Mitsubishi????

and whats all this bull about soft main caps??? you run forged or even billiet maincaps with cross bolts you have a VERY strong bottom end! compear the caps on the IRON BLOCKED SBC to the ally block LS engines to see the diffrence.

as for the ally ford units, have you ever heard of the Koenigsegg CCX???? its sold around the world (ie is emmisions complient) and makes 806bhp on a ford racing ALLY block! also the new green version (runs on E85) is reputed to make over 1000bhp.

also while on the toppick of V8s and power limits, have a look at the warhawk block the LS guys are about to get. world products are making this block to try and enable people to have a MASSIVELY strong block (2000bhp cappable is the word on the net! lol) whilst not going for the weight of the iron LS blocks or the new LSX. funny thats thats ally in't it?????

also take a look at the ally block the SBC guys get. Nelson Racing can sell you a 1600bhp ally block with 16 injectors if you want??? oh and yes thats an ally block!

you mentiond full on race engines, have you heard aobut the billiet block you can buy??? its what all the BIG guys are running! and you guest it they are ally.

sorry to keep going on put it needs to be said! give it a couple of years and, unless Mitsubishi make a B*LLS UP, you will be running around in a X with ALOT of power!

agian im not having a go at you inperticular sonicnofadz and im deeply sorry if it looks like i am. im just trying to contest some of your points. but im an ideot so feel free to tell me i am! lol

thanks again Chris.

PS. please keep this going. its a really intresting thread and a really good debate.
Its funny how everyone is quoting these pathetically low power numbers for the aluminum engines. Newsflash: cast iron 4G63 engines have been putting down over 1500 hp. Yeah thats the difference between cast iron and aluminum. Cast iron is stronger, more reliable, distorts less, and will ALWAYS support more power than Aluminum blocks. Don't mind Vigo, he is just an irrational Evo X fanboy.
Old May 16, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Its funny how everyone is quoting these pathetically low power numbers for the aluminum engines. Newsflash: cast iron 4G63 engines have been putting down over 1500 hp. Yeah thats the difference between cast iron and aluminum. Cast iron is stronger, more reliable, distorts less, and will ALWAYS support more power than Aluminum blocks. Don't mind Vigo, he is just an irrational Evo X fanboy.
Ummmm, no offense but your opinion is not an automatic fact. 4G63 putting down 1500HP? Maybe, but I am more then sure that the only thing this 1500HP engine has with a stock 4G63 is the oil cap as everything else was modified/reworked. Cast iron is an old technology, it's heavy, not efficient, and doesn't absorb heat as well as aluminum. 4G63 advantage from the get go was that it was smartly engineered, you can't tell me that every cast-iron engine is great, there is a lot of weak units out there, it's all about great engineering. Aluminum engines can be as strong as cast iron when properly shaped, it will not only weight less, absorb heat better, but it will be actually more environment friendly as the lighter construction will require less fuel to get it going. Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW (just to name a few) has been using alumium engines for a while (they went away from cast iron), are you trying to tell me that you know something more then they do?
Old May 16, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't this make you an irrational cast iron 4G63 fanboy?
Old May 16, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Titanium Block
Old May 16, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
Titanium Block
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old May 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by show time
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I know, I was just joking. But how cool would that be
Old May 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

It would be unstopable that is what they make jet airplane motor parts out of. On the othere hand I am a r+d Machinist and it would be a bytch to machine! I knew you were jokin was just saying u better be A ECO to afford that puppy
Old May 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm waiting for the all natural block made of mud and powered by pixie dust.
Old May 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by show time
It would be unstopable that is what they make jet airplane motor parts out of.
Wow, I didn't know that. Do you think a car manufacturer will ever use Titanium?
Old May 16, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure I havent seen any Indy car/Formul 1 or othere pro racing sponsers use it. I dont know why maybe it is the price? TIT is very pricy and very hard to machine. Jets dont have so-called blocks so it is hard to say.

Quick Reply: Alluminum 4B11T