Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Alluminum 4B11T

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alluminum 4B11T

Do you think the Alluminum engine will be any good? I know the 4G63 was cast iron. I heard BMW is making Alluminum also. I am somewhat dissapointed that they changed the engine, they could have made it better.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Almost every manufacure is going to Al for engines.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:49 PM

I know they're cheaper but don't you also get less performance? What's the problem though? Or is Cast Iron becoming too old, etc? not good enough?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

why dont you wait and find out if the engine is better or not, rather than speculate
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:00 PM

I am confident that the Al 4B11 will be better than the 4G63. It is lighter, repairable, conducts heat better, etc. Mitsubishi also changed the bore/stroke and bore spacing. Although it is still 2.0L to homologate for WRC, it will have a shorter stroke and larger bore spacing. You know what that means don't you? You are going to see 800 hp street evo X bored/stroked to 2.7L? which will spool 35R and 37R much better. Imagine how quick an evo X with DSG will be. It will be like AMS' automatic GSX with 37R.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

My guess is that aluminum is easier to make and light weight. A well design aluminum block with high Tensile steel sleeve will make as much power as the cast iron minus the weight.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AL will make a nice engine. Handling hi boost is questionable, you might have to sleeve it.

R/C cars use whats called an ABC engine, the block and head are Aluminum, and the sleeve is Brass with a Chrome layer. What is the reason I mentioned this? Well i have some engines that are .25-.28 CID and make over 3 HP. So aluminum can make some HP. These RC engines are aircooled too.

We will just have to wait and see though before we will really know.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor

You will have to sleeve it. At least that will be an option. One we do not have now. Once we start cracking cast-iron bores, the only thing you can do is fill the block and hope it doesn't happen again.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:09 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

The 4B11 is sleeved from the factory. This is straight from the mitsu tech training video.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

like the 335i

Originally Posted by FLK
The 4B11 is sleeved from the factory. This is straight from the mitsu tech training video.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TunerES
I know they're cheaper but don't you also get less performance? What's the problem though? Or is Cast Iron becoming too old, etc? not good enough?
Actually aluminum is more expensive than iron and it's not really true that you can get more performance out of a cast iron engine. Properly shaped sleeved aluminum engine will not only be lighter but also as capable as it's iron block counterpart. Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, they all use aluminum engines, I don't think those companies want to save money, aluminum is just a better building material. Aluminum is lighter, conducts heat better, and because it conducts heat better it won;t reach as high of temperature than it's equivalent iron block counterpart. 4G63, although a great engine for it's time, is 25 years old, it's rather heavy based on todays standards, it's not as fuel/emission efficient as todays modern engines. It's time for something new.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Whether or not the block has steel cylinder liners or not, a properly cast aluminum block can be as strong, or stronger than a cast iron steel block. In fact, even some new diesel engines (some of which even forego steel sleeves in favor of plasma coatings) are using all-aluminum blocks with steel reinforced aluminum heads with no problem.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

It looks like some of u have been doing your homework I am a CNC machinist and the Facts about aluminium on this page from Blitz/AMSTEL ARE %100 WRIGHT. Aluminium disapates heat faster then steel by a long shot and when air cooled it can handle a ton of heat and get rid of it in a hurry. Plus Aluminium is 2-3 times more then steel . Fact the 4b11 will most def be an upgrade from the 4g's not that they werent great motors but mitsu has done there homework to and they werent messing around when they designed this new platform plus its MIVEC works on both sides intake in and exhaust out so watch out for some unreal HP out of this new motor .
Old Apr 25, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FLK
So the Lancer de/es/gts motors are sleeved as well or is it only for the turbo model of the engine...
Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4zdcD0G-Y

video of 4B11

Quick Reply: Alluminum 4B11T