Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Evo X: Less Than 300 BHP!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purely speculation obviously... but under 300hp with a much higher revving new engine makes for some not so good torque numbers. As for modding this new engine that's a complete unknown until someone tries it and it doesn't blow up.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im sort of dissapointed in the new evo. Looks and engine, I hope knows what their doing.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

I would think it would have at least 320hp since the ralliart is supposed to have 240-260 to justify the price difference (I'm hoping it will be at least 5-6k). Maybe it'll be underated and say it has 299, don't know if that will help insurance rates or not, probly not...
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do people keep saying it helps with insurance rates? The actual HP number has nothing to do with it. The insurance companies have general symbols for each vehicle based on statistical information over a broad span of demographic and time. They're more concerned with the severity of bodily injuries in the event of an accident, how much the car's parts are to replace, the severity and frequency of accidents in a particular demographic for that particular car, and so forth.

If the car is 299 instead of 300--trust me--it has nothing to do with appeasing the insurance gods.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really wasn't expecting well over 300 with only 2.0Ls anyway. It'll be a 50 state car and 91 octane doesn't offer much love. The car might put out more on 93, but they are going to rate hp at the worst possible scenario, and then means 91 octane on a hot day in Cali. Not in a laboratory, running race gas with NO2 blowing on the intercooler. That'd be how Subaru, Mazda or possibly even Nissan would do it. (Only teasing)

I trust Mitsu engineers can extract more power even out of just 2.0L. But not work miracles. I'm looking foward to the MIVEC giving us a fatter powerband, more power under the curve. The fanboys can rant and rave about peak #'s, how the car actually performs is more important.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jul 7, 2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, I was really hoping for 320hp or better. It's going to need it to compete.

I'm still mad at for only giving us 2.0L of fun.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:02 PM

esp since its gained weight u figured that they would add a lil something
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is the part of the crap that I was talking about. ladies and gentleman this car has been on the roads for about 2 full years now and we are still speculating on the specs.

This same car has been seen all over the world just with the difference of having electrical tape over the front grill or a sticker covering the Mitsubishi logo but the true and the fact is that the car has been basicly unmodified for 2 years.

Don't you guys think we should have a set figure by now. My personal opinion is very strong about this cars. The logical point of view is that the Evolution X should have more HP. It is obvious that it could hurt the sales if they produce a "less competitive" engine that has an output inferior of the previous Evo.

Mitsubishi and the press have been braggin about this all new"redisigned " Evo which it makes sense that it should be superior in absolutely all the aspects(braking, fuel milegae,performance, comfort).

Botton line, I don't believe it would have less than 300hp and also I think is the purest crap in the automotive industry that we are still speculating on power on this car after the fact that this car have been in the streets for two years. Tyhe press should have release the power already.

When is this car going to be release? 2008? 2009?, how many more miles do they have to put on this car to start selling them? Look good though!

Carlos
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is my point guys. When you go to a car show(Detrit, Paris,London)etc you see the cars, sometime they are a concept but for the most part some of the cars will see the public roads later on. The thing is that you get to know what powerplant including the hp these cars will put(at least what the manufacturer claims).

Don't you think it is too late to do this crap now that the Evo X might be release saying that it will have less than 300hp?

BMW already have solid numbers almost a year ago before its new M-3 was set for sale why Mitsubishi or the press is still insecure?

Carlos
Old Jul 7, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blizzackk
if its true than wow, POS.

lol
Old Jul 7, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
BMW already have solid numbers almost a year ago before its new M-3 was set for sale why Mitsubishi or the press is still insecure?
From what I understand, Japanese car makers are notoriously tight-lipped about specs before release. I highly doubt anyone in the press has even laid a single fingerprint on a final product yet.

Yeah, the 8 and 9 were both under 300hp, and they were such POSes.

(for the second-order members of the yeasty persuasion, that was sarcasm.)

But I agree that they didn't site any sources, so I have my doubts about the accuracy of that claim.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 05:27 AM

So does anyone think it is possible they will release the initial "X" with under 300 hp and then later release an "MR" version with 330 or more?

I admit I got "screwed" (my own impatience at work) when I bought my VIII and then they announced the MR was coming out. I will be waiting at least a year after the "X" comes out to trade up...
Old Jul 8, 2007, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

where is their reliable info?
what you complaining about ? u drive 2 pos cars
Old Jul 8, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spooch
there goign to get us bummed and mitsu will release it 350hp or something
hell yes
Old Jul 8, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Don't you guys think we should have a set figure by now.
Seems to me that the Skyline has been "around" longer and has been much more of a tease when it comes to going from prototype, test mule, and us waiting on specs. Just seems business as usual for Japanese tuners especially when the Skyline, Evo and STi are the biggest brand names in Japanese tuning right now.

Maybe Mitsu wants to see what Subaru does first, it was at first a big PR disaster when they anounced 271 for the first VIII and then Subie came out with 300 like I think, hours later. I don't think they want a repeat of that. If any last minute tweaks are possible, they'll want a chance to do it so they can make the biggest headlines.