Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

How reliable are twin-clutch transmissions (DSG, SST)?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friends a3 is trapping 115-117. its been running this time for about 40k now... the car currently has 65 on it and has had 0 problems.. it has the apr fmic, ehaust and chip and some nitrous. The tuning companies say its good for 320-330whp before it has to be upgraded which is around 2k for a higher clamp.

Hopefully this tranny will be the end to mitsu's #1 problem

****ty tranny!

With this in mind our cars only problem should be breaking axles from hard launchs =-)

Cheers
Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of off topic, but how would you even go about launching the Semi-auto?

And also, why would everyone pick this SST over the standard manual? A sports car isn't really a sports car without a manual. (Don't tell me it shifts quicker than any man, because that's not the point. The point is, the manual tranny seperates a sports car from others.) The SST takes skill away from the driver.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsu has included SST so
the lady of the house would have less reason to reject
the man's decision to buy the Evo, cause the lady would also be
able to drive the Evo. That's not saying more ladies would not be outright Evo buyers than before.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thegame

And also, why would everyone pick this SST over the standard manual? A sports car isn't really a sports car without a manual. (Don't tell me it shifts quicker than any man, because that's not the point. The point is, the manual tranny seperates a sports car from others.) The SST takes skill away from the driver.
x2.

at the end of the day, its just an overhyped automatic.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:21 PM
Account Disabled

So, the Bugatti Veyron and various other super cars are not sports cars, because they have transmissions similar to the TC-SST in the Evo X? The only criterion for a sports car to be a sports car is to be fast. It does not matter how it got to be fast as long as it's fast.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Lagos
x2.

at the end of the day, its just an overhyped automatic.
It's a twin clutch sequential manual transmission that shifts faster than any human on earth. Gear changes are initiated via paddle shifters, which cause the computer to shifts gears. So, it's a semi manual/semi automatic transmission. If you are lazy you also have the option in putting it in fully automatic mode where you just press the gas and go.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

A friend of mine is on his 3rd VW DSG in the past year.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kc2Buk
That's really bad.
Can you add a bit more details about what and how it happened?
Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

As long as you DO have the option to shift WHEN you want to... then what's the harm? Some of us do live in a city & pushing in a clutch on bumper to bumper almost offsets the fun of ripping through an open road. My question is, why NOT have the option of just being in automatic part time during bumper to bumper? Let me guess, it builds character?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:49 AM

if it has a P R and a D, its not for me!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nongan
That's really bad.
Can you add a bit more details about what and how it happened?
Thanks.
I don't know too much about his car other then he made 340whp on a mustang dyno.
But,
Ever since he built up the power plant every thing in the drivetrain blows apart.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

The vw's have a launch button which can be preset for whatever rpm you want using vag com.

Racing isn't looking the coolest while shifting. Racing is being the fastest. An automatic tranny isn't faster than manual unless ur talking about those crazy expensive 7-9 second cars. Forget about them.

The way this gearbox works is the gears are lined up 135 on one side and 246 on another

while ur in first gear the one clutch is clamped on it while the other sits freely on 2nd. As soon as its time to shift to 2nd no change has to be made except to let go of one gear and grab the next.

Then the first gear is replaced with 3rd gear where the clutch is. The gear change is actually made while ur on the gas instead of while ur off the gas.

you can basically think of it as shifting faster than u just pushing the clutch in. It really is an amazing transmission and im sure it going to be beefed up. If you notice mitsubishi always over designs the evo's. Our motors and trannys are handling 600whp even thogh we're making 250 stock.... I doubt theyre going to put a tranny in that can only handle say 350bhp when stock we'll be making 300-325 most likely.

This is just a step in the right direction. With this tranny there cant be any human error so our cars will just be that much faster and consistent.

Cheers!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:28 AM

While that sucks for him, there are two reasons why it's not worrying to me as a potential EVO SST buyer:

1. VW has been having serious quality problems for years.
2. There's always a lemon in every bunch. If we all listened to every story from someone about how unreliable his/her car has been, no one would every buy ANY car.

Mitsubishi is not VW, and SST is not DSG. Even if you assume that VW is having problems with all of their DSG transmissions (which I think is unlikely), this does not mean that twin-shaft sequential manual transmissions in general are fundamentally unreliable, and therefore, there is no reason to assume based on this experience, that the EVO SST tranny will be unreliable.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sure the tranny will handle some power, but how reliable and bulletproof will it be? Let's just say that the current evo's do not have by any means the best transmissions, eating synchro after synchro. Even in stock power level form. And let's not even talk about the clutches.

That's cool for the launch control.

And if what you say is true, slowsportsedan, how does the car anticipate downshifts?

Vigo, the Bugatti is not a sports car... It's a supercar. You won't see many of those competing on the WRC or at the strip or whatever. I understand that the SST shifts quick, but it still rely's on human input to get desired results. I don't care how quick a computer will shift my car if it has no idea when I need to downshift going into the turn, or need to skip a gear for some odd reason. The SST is not foolproof and I don't think it alone will help track times over a really good manual tranny driver. It's basically designed for poorly skilled drivers. Plain and simple. I don't want a car that my gf can take for a stroll whenever she pleases. And I know for a fact, that you're not ever gonna crack a sub 1.8 60' on a stock SST. It simply won't allow you to put the tranny in danger. Too many safegaurds. This is Mitsu's **** poor answer to synchro and clutch issues.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:32 PM

i bet this will be a case of the sst trans shifting faster, but having more drive train loss at the wheels. making the 2 cars run the same 1/4 times.

Quick Reply: How reliable are twin-clutch transmissions (DSG, SST)?