Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

How reliable are twin-clutch transmissions (DSG, SST)?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How reliable are twin-clutch transmissions (DSG, SST)?

How reliable is VW's DSG box?
How reliable do you think the SST is going to be?
Data and reference related to reliability of existing DSG would be very helpful.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No ones knows. However, you CAN refer to the DSG in the GTI to give you a hint on how reliable the SST will be. Mitsubishi did state that the SST WILL perform better than the DSG.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

I'm guessimating that it should be quite reliable IF you keep everything stock. Might be possible it could be just as reliable as a manual tranny since teh possibility to screw up the clutch by human error is just about nullified.

It's all speculation on how reliable it CAN be since Mitsu will only be similar to VW's DSG in function. Bugatti Veyron has a similar transmission built to handle 1000 hp. Not to say the Evo X will be THAT sturdy (since that Veyron transmission alone is probably worth as much as a Corvette ) but say that to say that having a SST transmission to handle the stock power may not be too much of an issue reliability wise (especially if we assume that these things will be slightly over engineered to allow for SOME mods of potential aftermarket power gains).
Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=137021

There are some discussion about DSG failures in this link. It's not clear what caused it.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:29 PM

If power delivery to those gears is going to be so very smooth and quick, actuated by computer control to the milisecond... I wouldn't be surprised if the stock tranny alone could stand well over 600bhp. No shift shock. The stock clutches would more likely burn out first or fail to hold that much. Since they are probably designed to be replaced...you can bet aftermarket ones will be available that can hold more.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

that's what i'm thinking, you may be able to install stronger clutches and everything else should be fine
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.bwauto.com/products/ts/du...h_system.shtml

Apparently, this is the supplier of the SST to mitsu. They also supply twin clutch
modules to VW.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nongan
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=137021

There are some discussion about DSG failures in this link. It's not clear what caused it.
The VW's limiting factor is the stock clutch-pack can only handle about 300hp (.:R32, A3 3.6, etc.). The technology is capable though, since the Bugatti Veyron uses a DSG-type transmission.

Can't remember who it was, but one of the major tuners/modifiers of VWs has said all the DSG needs to handle whatever horsepower/torque you want to put through it is a heavy-duty clutch-pack. One of them had already done it on the GTI and was putting down impressive numbers reliably.

I have full confidence the SST will be an excellent transmission.

Vostok 7
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Once again the incorrect reference to the Veyron. The Veyron transmission is built by Ricardo. Ricardo was paid a LOT of money for this trans and it is nothing like the transmissions built by Borg Warner (DSG).
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrSmile
Once again the incorrect reference to the Veyron. The Veyron transmission is built by Ricardo. Ricardo was paid a LOT of money for this trans and it is nothing like the transmissions built by Borg Warner (DSG).
But still, it's the same basic technology. And VW's DSGs aren't built by Borg Warner either, they're just licensed. VW was the first licensee of the technology.

Vostok 7
Old Aug 13, 2007, 02:15 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Exactly, it's the same principle technology. I'm happy Ricardo set the precedent for DCT to hold 1001+bhp; and I guarantee tuners will come out with beefed-up clutch packs in the SST for serious enthusiasts.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 05:28 PM

Strong or not, I am getting SST. I don't like to shift that much in LA, OC traffic. I don't care is it quicker or not.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

does anyone know if one of these sst trannies will be able to be put in a evo 8 or 9?? just curious?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Off topic, but worth a look. We'll never get it here.

http://tv.carview.co.jp/mov.aspx?mid=2117
Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo542
that's what i'm thinking, you may be able to install stronger clutches and everything else should be fine
Or perhaps the stock clutch will be designed as a "fuse" so to speak.

Quick Reply: How reliable are twin-clutch transmissions (DSG, SST)?