Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Why not a bigger engine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boostinpsi
never use l/km ever again.

The reason I used it is simple, I couldn't be bothered figuring out how to convert from how many litres I put in per 100km of driving (which is what we do over here) into some gallon figure that can change between uk and the us, and miles, which we don't measure in over here either!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

i say screw the rally heritage (gasp) and just drop a 3.0 inline6 twin turbo in the Evo.

AWD is great for handling great low end torque...problem is the Evo never has great low end torque, in fact it loses that the more power it makes.

and everybody who said turbo lag doesn't get on their nerves once in a while is in denial. i'm still on the stock turbo and sometimes i want to break my windows.

now i'm not saying the 4g63t is a great powerplant. but with the recent wave of horsepower war and more and more cars coming out with bigger engines - some even with FI - i don't know how much longer the Evo platform can survive with a 2 liter turbocharged powerplant.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

All you really have to do is downshift. That does tend to get old though. Just get a different car.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:22 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Vigo
More displacement is always a good idea. Not all road going versions of a rally car need to be 2 liters. Look a the U.S spec STI, it has a 2.5 liter engine, but the rally versions have two liters. As long as there are certain amount in 2 liter form the rest of the cars can have whatever kind of engine.
they made it 2.5 liters to make sure it beats the then coming of the evo marketing in the US. guess what, the evo 4G63 is so potent and the car so balanced that it beats the Sti in almost every tests!

if you want more displacement, like a V6- think of the galant
Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
send ur car to the middle east and get it fitted with a ls2 with a procharger =-)

600whp and u can pop wheelies w00t w00t
Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I'm very pleased with my MIVEC 4G63T. I am 100% stock and I have no issues getting my car going. As a matter of fact, I have gobs of pep with a mere 1/4" depression of the accelerator pedal throughout my daily driving speeds of 0-75 mph. I barely tap the pedal and the thing just goes like practically nothing else on the road. It's amazing. I drive around other cars like they're standing still. Hmm ... I wonder if you even own an Evo. Or, if you do, I wonder if you know how to drive it properly. I mean, you don't just smash the pedal to the floor from start. Drive any MR or any IX with their quicker ratio first gear and you'll better feel the high torque more quickly - that is, if driven properly. Turbos are at their best if they're gradually spooled. And when I say "gradual," I don't mean slow. I mean progressively.

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; Aug 15, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:29 PM

I don't own an evo, I own one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant_VR-4 I make boost below 2000rpm and 15psi by 2500rpm

Turbo Lag is evil and the whole point of going to a twin setup on a v6 would be to minimise that lag. Look at how many people here are going to 2.2,2.3 or 2.4l setups to try and make that extra bit of power and less lag.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

If you do a bunch of stop and go driving and require instant response constantly, then, yeah, I can see even the MR's or IX's normal standing start to be inadequate. However, if the driver maintains gradual, progressive pedal application, then I don't see what the problem is. And how often does normal, spirited driving require stop and go jerks or pulses? When I drive, I wanna go and continue to go. The initial "go" without a launch isn't the most responsive and instant start, but it more than works for me. The vast usable torque from 3k to 7k is quite accessible when on the go. If you were talking about a car like the S2000, on the other hand, then I'd more agree with you. Really, though, the Evo is a torquey beast.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

It WOULD be nice to see that bumped up the displacement, but seeing how much power 4G63 can make already, I don't think it is necessary.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostinpsi
never use l/km ever again.
Please tell me you were kidding? If not, come on, dude.

Question: Do you know what "WWW" stands for? I'll give you the answer, if you don't. The first and second Ws are for "World-Wide." It's not the American/British Web. Albeit, this is an American site, but to come off as arrogant and stupid, for lack of a better word, was, well, stupid and so uneducated and uncultured.

Unbelievable, man. Get out more and be more real and open to different things.

Also, please understand that "never ever again" is a strong, offending phrase.

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; Aug 15, 2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

I agree, the Caliber SRT is using the same type of engine, but they get a turbo'd 2.4l. WTF doesn't the Evo get the 2.4l? I am really hoping the MR version gets the 2.4l. I switched from a built 2.0 to a built 2.4l in my DSM and it was a huge difference. I could spool a 20% larger turbo at the same RPM (makes sense since there is 20% more exhaust). It made the bigger turbo's much more driveable.

I have been hoping for a 2.4l in the MR since the get go, hopefully it will!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:51 PM

Yeah the whole point of a bigger engine with more cylinders is to increase off boost response and to make day to day driving a whole lot easier.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:49 AM

I heard rumor said the WRC is talking about change the rule from I4 F.I. to V6?
Don't quote me if I am wrong!
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:56 PM

If they change to an N/A V6 you could end up with a Lancer with an aggressive 2.0 or 2.5l V6 N/A engine, as well as a TT version for the street. Be kind of keen for that
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:14 PM

Go buy the Benz, S65 AMG. It has v12 6.5 litter with twin turbo.

Quick Reply: Why not a bigger engine