Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Evo X impression from Auto week

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evolved83
you have to take into accounty all of the safety features as well as the added ridgidity that was given to the car. That combined with some new interior features added some additional weight. Everyone complained about how ugly the interior is on the evos previous, well now you got a nicer interior... another thing is, how can you say the tranny will be weak? have you tested it out? i don't think so. Hold your comments till some real feedback is given
Actually DSG style transmissions have a history of being weak, because they basically have to fit two transmissions into one, which means parts have to get smaller/weaker. Hope I'm wrong, but that's how it typically works. True automated manuals (like my 360 F1) are conventional transmissions and are much stronger, though they do sacrifice some shift speed. I hope the car's great, I just think some people are getting overly hyped over something that could be WAY watered down. Time will tell. Also, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on mag reviews, because they have an incentive to make the car sound great.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsevo
Actually DSG style transmissions have a history of being weak, because they basically have to fit two transmissions into one, which means parts have to get smaller/weaker. Hope I'm wrong, but that's how it typically works. True automated manuals (like my 360 F1) are conventional transmissions and are much stronger, though they do sacrifice some shift speed. I hope the car's great, I just think some people are getting overly hyped over something that could be WAY watered down. Time will tell. Also, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on mag reviews, because they have an incentive to make the car sound great.
I wonder why Bugatti put a "weak" DSG transmission into its 1001hp Veyron?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

ive read that the motor is an aluminum block but it has iron sleeves so i think that itll handle high boost like the 4g did but only time will tell. i agree with the above comment, the dsg style tranny is definetly a plus although i prefer a manual but if its good enough for the fastest and most powerful production car ever then i think itll be good enough for an evo.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by s2000sc
I wonder why Bugatti put a "weak" DSG transmission into its 1001hp Veyron?
everyone keeps saying about Bugatti, but does anyone know what would happen with Veyron if you modify it to put down say 1500 ponies?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

I think 1001hp is pretty decent for now.
lol

Between all the mag reviews and the ones that featured Mr. Evo, (fuji) he claims before it hits the American Market, more HP will be added.
I really doubt it, the numbers are all consistent, but yet, that is the statement made.

But I must admit, I have the Lancer and it was claiming 152 hp but it seems on certain times there is more hp being developed.
I am curious if the X will have the same tech on learning the driver's habits on the road and I am wondering if this might be added into the ECU where it might learn the driving habits of the X.

Last edited by chino ali; Sep 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

its definetly going to be the much better stock car.....

the question is will we be making sick power with just a tbe mbc and tune?

and how will it handle a 35r?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

I am curious on the final numbers after it debuts in US.

I might ending up scooping up one anyway.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

I imagine, and again - I am *extrapolating* on this..., there will need to be a re-sleeve of the engine to see any 35r playtime on this block.

It's such a new platform that it's hard to see anything *past* the block in terms of aftermarket at this point. Also, does anybody know what turbo is being used as a stock turbo?

I believe some lessons will repeat themselves as they have in the SRT-4 as far as engine position goes(Read: Turbo Timer, Space limitations with Exhaust headers, etc).
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, at least the mr is only 100 lbs ehavier and the gsr is only 57. Honestly that is not THAT bad. Previously we were expecting a car that was near 3500 lbs.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

na, im keepin my 9, i will wait for the X mr though. Anyone know when thats suppose to debut?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by srt2evo
I imagine, and again - I am *extrapolating* on this..., there will need to be a re-sleeve of the engine to see any 35r playtime on this block.

It's such a new platform that it's hard to see anything *past* the block in terms of aftermarket at this point. Also, does anybody know what turbo is being used as a stock turbo?

I believe some lessons will repeat themselves as they have in the SRT-4 as far as engine position goes(Read: Turbo Timer, Space limitations with Exhaust headers, etc).
i agree, i believe having a transverse setup is gonna put a damper on those who want a bigger turbo

I would imagine they might stick with the 16g turbo, but judging by the numbers it looks pretty laggy...
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLK
ON SALE: January 2008
BASE PRICE: $29,000 (est)
DRIVETRAIN: 2.0-liter, 295-hp, 300-lb-ft turbocharged l4; awd, five-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3,344 lb.
0-60 MPH: 5.0 sec (mfr)
FUEL ECONOMY (EPA): 26 mpg (est)

"Despite all the added size, structure and systems, the new Evo MR with the six-speed TC-SST is just 100 pounds heavier (including 11 pounds of sound deadener) than the 2006 Evolution IX MR. The infinitely more tunable GSR with the five-speed manual is just 59 pounds heavier."

Where are the fools that said the X will cost 40K+ and weigh 300 lbs more.

nice man! GSR only 59 lbs heavier. Going for deposit today and 59lbs can come off in no time
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Whine if you want about the loss of racing edge and mechanical purity. Then go out and push the new Evolution hard into a corner, feel the steering wheel load and lighten as unseen systems transfer power from side to side and from front to rear, notice as the transmission grabs another gear, and hang on as the car exhibits razor-sharp handling and balance that come from years of slow and steady development. Mitsubishi is still calling it an Evolution, but it’s a much bigger leap this time arou

MITSU IS RIGHT EVOLUTION TO NEW CONSUMERS
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a cool link I found on EVO X:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubis....html#comments

Sick Speed
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
Whine if you want about the loss of racing edge and mechanical purity. Then go out and push the new Evolution hard into a corner, feel the steering wheel load and lighten as unseen systems transfer power from side to side and from front to rear, notice as the transmission grabs another gear, and hang on as the car exhibits razor-sharp handling and balance that come from years of slow and steady development. Mitsubishi is still calling it an Evolution, but it’s a much bigger leap this time arou

MITSU IS RIGHT EVOLUTION TO NEW CONSUMERS
I am curious about SSM.

Quick Reply: Evo X impression from Auto week