Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Evo X impression from Auto week

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkFlat4
The added structure, combined with the 1.0-inch-longer wheelbase and 1.2-inch-wider track, results in a far more composed ride—no more “tin can on wheels” feel. Steering is lighter but retains its instant response and on-center feel, while losing some of the car’s hyper-twitchiness, vibration and shimmy. Braking is as strong as ever, with big Brembo calipers clamping 13.8-inch rotors in front and 13.0s in back.

Atleast the X doesn't feel like a tin can compared to the older evos lol.

Oh and 59 lbs for all that **** they added is ashtonising

Good job mitsu!
I find this one of the most fun things about my evo IX. Driving fast on an uneven road slightly curving left and right at high speeds is a rush. The IX feels raw and crazy with the heavy steering and instant response as you feel the uneven roads twitch your steering wheel violently, all while you hold on tightly. Feels like I'm rallying lol
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bottom line is that the Evo X will be an outstanding performance car, but its not going to be as much of a drivers car as the Evo IX. It will allow one to go faster around a corner than was possible in a IX, but it won't be as intimate, nor (in my opinion) as fun. It is going to be more refined, polished, and liveable...but to a purist like myself, not as good.

It will certainly appeal to a broader range of buyers, but will unfortunately alienate the majority of buyers that helped make this car a cult-icon. Anytime a manufacturer tones down a car for greater mass-appeal, it is inevitably going to anger those that are not a part of the mass.

I, for one, am deeply saddened by the fact that this new Evo has lost the edge that made it so great. The days of the driver-connected-to-drivetrain-feel are gone for the Evo. I'll hang on to my Evo IX until its dead, and pray for a real driver's car that is released from a competitor (possibly the STI), but i'm not going to hold my breath .