Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

First Drive: Car Magazine UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Drive: Car Magazine UK

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_d...id=1098&page=1

Quote:

...it aims to broaden the Evo’s appeal away from just those diehards...

Mitsu admits privately that its power and acceleration figures for the new car are a little conservative.

The result is TBC? Totally Bonkers Cornering.

‘Super-sport’ mode is pretty brutal.

So will an Evo tempt me out of my 3-series?
It just might.

This new Evo is way more refined than before.

Boot space is reduced slightly by shifting the battery and washer fluid bottle into the boot to improve weight distribution.

It’s amazing that Mitsubishi has changed everything with this car, yet kept so much of the old’s car’s trademark dynamics. What’s been lost – the rawness and nervousness – might be missed by the diehards, but more drivers will welcome the X’s new refinement and maturity.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Right. The new engine (more of which later) officially makes 280bhp and 311lb ft, and boots the stripped-out RS version to 60mph in just 4.5 seconds. The heavier GSR (around 1520kg, or 100kg more than the IX) carries all the kit that will be fitted to the FQ-badged version we’ll get in the UK and takes just 5.2sec when fitted with the SST twin-clutch paddle-shift manual.

Mitsu admits privately that its power and acceleration figures for the new car are a little conservative. The UK importers will offer the standard car as an FQ300 (its true power output) with uprated FQ330 and FQ360 versions that will take the 60mph time back under five seconds.

I like this. Every new article makes me a little more ancy. Looks like more and more of the haters are coming around, as a lot of the open-minded X fans have predicted. I'll reserve judgement until I drive it, but I REALLY like what I'm seeing so far!!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Wow just look at that body roll... it looks a little excessive.. maybe most cars would just spin out on the corner at that speed..

Hmm If it can hang with a 911 turbo on the twisties then it should have body roll similar to the 911 right?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/...Xdrv_4_560.jpg
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah I forgot..

This review, so far, is the most informative I think. I like there out-of-the-box questions in which you arn't getting the same cookie cutter responses like the other reviews..

eg.

Quote-

"Don’t worry – you can switch it off in two stages. The first stops it cutting torque if it senses slippage, which is just frustrating, but still allows the system to brake individual wheels to keep you glued to your intended course. The second disables it completely, but leaves the yaw control and active centre diff working, and allows the same ludicrous oversteer that is part of the Evo DNA."
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like evo x is going to sell REALLY well...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

i really hope so ^ so they can further develop new products
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:59 PM

Perhaps this is the car that Mitsu so desperately needs to stay alive? From the article it seems better in every way besides 0-60.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 02:43 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting. We're going to see a lot of evo's on the road next year.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

Yes Flood The Market With Evo X To Make It More Mainstream, The Resale Value On These Things Are Going To Be Horrible.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by billyblonco
Yes Flood The Market With Evo X To Make It More Mainstream, The Resale Value On These Things Are Going To Be Horrible.
I don't think high sale numbers have much to do with resale value except for fleet sales. Look at Honda/Toyota cars especially the high volume ones such as Camry or Civic, their resale value is rather high and stable considering the amount of those cars driving on the roads, of course you won't see a lot of those cars at your local rent-a-car centers. Now look at Mitsubishi cars, compared to the mentioned companies, they don't sale a whole lot of cars yet their resale value is much lower than Honda/Toyota except for the Evo who basically is in high demand and thats what keeps the price up. As long as there is going to be a high demand and no fleet sales, resale value should be high.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if they sell FQ versions here, I'm sold without even thinking!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, Honda Civics have horrible resale because they are mainstream
Old Oct 2, 2007, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would you ever buy a car for resale value? Especially an Evo which you are going to mod and do things to anyway.

So you're saying you would actually NOT buy one car over another because of the resale value even though you liked the car with the lower resale value better?

It should not even be in your car buying equation....especially the Evo's.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I'm buyin mine fo sho!! SST thank you very much..
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Soon2BEVO;4806288]Yeah, Honda Civics have horrible resale because they are mainstream [/QUOTE

MITSU CARS AS A WHOLE HAVE LOW RESALE VALUE, IF THEY FLOOD THE MARKET WITH THE X AND NOBODY BUYS THEM EQUALS HUGE DISCOUNTS OVERSTOCKED LOTS (LOW RESALE VALUE), LETS HOPE MITSU KNOW's WHAT THERE DOING. I DON"T WANNA BUY A CAR FOR 35 GRAND AND NEXT YEAR ITS WORTH 12 GRAND!

Quick Reply: First Drive: Car Magazine UK