Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

shift in the age group targeted by evo X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here ya go, taken with the iPhone. I won't miss crap like this one bit.
Attached Thumbnails shift in the age group targeted by evo X-img_0017.jpg  
Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget the X looks quite similar to the new regular lancer.
There are already folks here who talked about getting the X wing on to their regular
lancer. The posing will continue.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yes true, but it's an all-together better car, higher standard, etc...and doesn't look riced out and cheap like the old Lancer.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

the iphone takes nice quality pics.

dude go for the Evo X MR as it it looks sporty and luxurious. I bet I didnt even need to say this as you probably already have your sights set on it.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:39 PM

The guy obviously idolizes the car you drive, wishes he could afford your car, and gets excited when he sees your car on the road. He's looking at your car, wishing he could own one like it, and all you're thinking is what tools they are and that you want to chew them out?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FlyboyX
The guy obviously idolizes the car you drive, wishes he could afford your car, and gets excited when he sees your car on the road. He's looking at your car, wishing he could own one like it, and all you're thinking is what tools they are and that you want to chew them out?
you know why the kid wants to own an Evo? He's in HS and wants to use all that power for what? So that he could drag race that thing on the freeway and harm himself and the unfortunate people in his vicinity?

I was so close to owning an evo 9 even with all the negative things associated with it. but i'm glad i'm waiting out for the X.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by derangedazn
Dude....they're asian....you gotta add 20 years.

Hey!
I resent that!
Old Oct 7, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

well established 40 to 50 year olds in ASIA might buy the thing, but over here in AMERICA I think an established 40 to 50 year old would rather buy a BMW or MB or some other higher class car than a Mitsubishi EVO....all in all i think this car will STILL appeal to the Ricer crew.....i mean c'mon an evo is an evo, it has yet to be established as a luxury car so therefore it is still a KIDS CAR!!!! we might hate it, but we will still see riced up lancers imitating evos, and riced up evos imitating fast and the furious.....

Last edited by Evozster; Oct 7, 2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nongan
20 - 30 years old ----> 40 - 50 years old
according to this picture from evo-X marketing push:

News flash, the evo has never been aimed at 20 - 30 year olds...the target has always been 30 to 50 year olds. In the US we have a lot of teenagers and 20 somethings purchasing them because of video games and affordability. Most "older" Americans have no clue about the evo's heritage and are more concerned about snob appeal. Check out who drives evos in the rest of the world and you would be very surprised.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FlyboyX
I get enthusiasm. Hell, I was a car nut from the time I could walk and would drool on your car if you let me close enough. But posing is another story. Between that, the hairdo's and Jackie O' glasses, it was just too much. They really thought they were cool. Meh, I'm just getting old and grumpy.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chino ali
Hey!
I resent that!
I still get carded at movies and I'm almost 30...gotta love the once a week shaves and teenie bopper look.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't driven a X, but for whatever it's worth, the words and pictures I have seen and read about it don't have me even close to wanting one over my VIII. On the contrary, I'm the kind of Evo owner who would consider trading for an IX RS before a X, but then again I didn't buy an Evo for plush ride, or to "compete" in the same market niche with an Audi. I drool at the idea of installing race buckets, gutting the interior, and having an all-out race car, and yawn at the idea of a silent and plush car that practically drives itself, and you can hardly even feel if you are going fast. I think the majority of Evo consumers around the world are more like me. I think I'll probably still be this way when I'm older too.

But the bottom line is, automobile manufacturers don't make their profits off of cars like the Evo, Supra, Z32, and RX-7. They make money off the Camry's, Maximas, and Jettas, etc. Mitsubishi has not been doing the greatest for the last decade, and they feel they need to focus on where the money is. I am not so sure if the "compromise" that Evo X is will be successful in this though. Personally, it doesn't really seem to be this or that. Seems like it will be more like the 350Z in terms of a mix of "safe" performance to civility and general public appeal, but of course significantly more inclined toward performance than the Z.

Either way, let's face it, past Evo's have been econo-box chassis with race-engineered suspensions, with a high-performance drivetrain, that the typical 40-50 year old American feels is too much of a "Japanese tin can" compared to an Audi or Bimmer for example. these are the guys with reliable money. The rest of us are financial and warranty nightmares compared the them. Obvious business choice for Mitsu.

Despite it's shortcomings, compromises and imperfections, I'm glad I got a used Evo VIII for $22k. In the meantime I will be patiently paying it off on my small budget to build it into the grassroots race car I want while driving it daily. I'll buy a different car for something comfy, quiet, and more nondescript or luxurious.

With any car, once you become serious about using it for something (racing) and optimizing it for that use, everything that does not benefit that type of use just gets in the way and is a hindrance. From what I can tell so far, for me personally the X is just more of those hindrances and weight for more money. For the guys who just like a "clean" Evo to cruise around and put toys on, the X will be great. The rest of them will be stripping all kinds of stuff off them and trying to tune around all the technology.

Last edited by hokiruu; Oct 8, 2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alexander
The main difference, to Mitsubishi, is the guy on the right will be able to make the car payments.

The guy on the left may have to wait for the Lancer Ralliart.
So true. The guy on the left bought a IX and had to sell it because he couldn't afford it. He's now driving a Kia Optima.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Stock
Here ya go, taken with the iPhone. I won't miss crap like this one bit.
holy shizah! That's terrible
Old Oct 8, 2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Thedread
News flash, the evo has never been aimed at 20 - 30 year olds...the target has always been 30 to 50 year olds. In the US we have a lot of teenagers and 20 somethings purchasing them because of video games and affordability. Most "older" Americans have no clue about the evo's heritage and are more concerned about snob appeal. Check out who drives evos in the rest of the world and you would be very surprised.

Very true.

Quick Reply: shift in the age group targeted by evo X