Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

What makes the evo X lap better than an evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
Not sure about that... but dont the JDM IXs (not sure about VII and VIII) offer SAYC? I am pretty sure they do and that they have an added grip advantage over USDM Evos... plus we have heavy front and rear low-speed crash beams added witha combined 40+ lbs, so ours are slightly heavier. The X has wider tires, more advanced AWD system, wider track, etc... lets see if HKS can beat their time attack record with a X before anybody decides its really faster or more capable
Yes. I am waiting for the Best Motoring video pitting the world X vs the JDM IX. It's not just theoretical for me since the JDM IX is the one sold here. As I mentioned in another thread, until the X holds its own in handling against the JDM IX, I remain unconvinced.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

did i miss something here? please someone post a review, video, anything that has actual hard irrefutable numbers that show the JDM IX is more than 2 secs faster than the USDM IX around the mitsu proving grounds. the X is reportedly 2 sec faster so where is the proof that the JDM is 2 sec faster too?

so far all i see are assumptions that the JDM IX is SOOOO much faster than the USDM IX because of AYC and some 40 less pounds. is this fact? or mere conjecture based on theoreticals? please post accordingly.

remember the main reasons why the X is so fast despite the added weight and not so potent stock motor: S-AWC and TC-SST. these can NOT be replicated on a IX without swapping the X's drivetrain.

lets review. S-AWC combines ACD, AYC, ASC (not found in IX), with the S-ABS all in one ecu. what does this mean? it means the traction of each wheel is MUCH more controlled by the electronics than the IX. the JDM IX cannot replicate this. ASC is a BIG part of why the X is so fast. especially since it is all integrated with the rest of the systems in one ecu. look at the ferraris nowadays. regular joes can approach test driver lap times with electronic traction control. simply amazing technology. call it cheating, call it non-masculine, call it what you may. i call it going faster.

review number 2: though heavier, the TC-SST will shift faster and more smoothly than any human on any manual, period. pure irrefutable fact. this should make for quicker lap times and the IX cannot be tuned to replicate this shift speed.

bottomline: the X has evolved with added technology that despite it's added weight and minimal power increase will lap faster than the USDM IX. and as for the JDM we'll have to see but since people like to base everything on theoreticals, i ask you this. does the JDM's less weight and AYC make it faster than the USDM IX? by 2 minutes faster? can the less weight and AYC compete with the X that has crazy sophisticated electronic traction control and super quick shifts? ok take out the TC-SST. can the JDM still come out in front with it's traction limited drivetrain? is the X's weight THAT big a difference when every last bit of traction is used to drive the car forward?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:19 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by madfast
did i miss something here? please someone post a review, video, anything that has actual hard irrefutable numbers that show the JDM IX is more than 2 secs faster than the USDM IX around the mitsu proving grounds. the X is reportedly 2 sec faster so where is the proof that the JDM is 2 sec faster too?

so far all i see are assumptions that the JDM IX is SOOOO much faster than the USDM IX because of AYC and some 40 less pounds. is this fact? or mere conjecture based on theoreticals? please post accordingly.

remember the main reasons why the X is so fast despite the added weight and not so potent stock motor: S-AWC and TC-SST. these can NOT be replicated on a IX without swapping the X's drivetrain.

lets review. S-AWC combines ACD, AYC, ASC (not found in IX), with the S-ABS all in one ecu. what does this mean? it means the traction of each wheel is MUCH more controlled by the electronics than the IX. the JDM IX cannot replicate this. ASC is a BIG part of why the X is so fast. especially since it is all integrated with the rest of the systems in one ecu. look at the ferraris nowadays. regular joes can approach test driver lap times with electronic traction control. simply amazing technology. call it cheating, call it non-masculine, call it what you may. i call it going faster.

review number 2: though heavier, the TC-SST will shift faster and more smoothly than any human on any manual, period. pure irrefutable fact. this should make for quicker lap times and the IX cannot be tuned to replicate this shift speed.

bottomline: the X has evolved with added technology that despite it's added weight and minimal power increase will lap faster than the USDM IX. and as for the JDM we'll have to see but since people like to base everything on theoreticals, i ask you this. does the JDM's less weight and AYC make it faster than the USDM IX? by 2 minutes faster? can the less weight and AYC compete with the X that has crazy sophisticated electronic traction control and super quick shifts? ok take out the TC-SST. can the JDM still come out in front with it's traction limited drivetrain? is the X's weight THAT big a difference when every last bit of traction is used to drive the car forward?
good arguments, unfortunately you don't even own an evo and don't know a lot about it. yes, there are difference between US evo and the evo (UK and Japan) ever since we signed a petition to mitsubishi to bring it here in the US. just do your research instead of us handing it to you in a silver platter, since from your posts you seem to know more about the X but not a single idea about the IX. did the link not suffice?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

A lot of words there, and to be honest, I didn't read every one. But I got the gist.

I can't find anything directly pitting JDM IX vs USDM IX. But that's neither here nor there, because it would be indirect evidence at best. The proof of the pudding is in pitting a world Evo X vs a JDM Evo IX. Same track, same conditions, same driver. Because the Evo IX is the one with the S-AYC, the direct antecedent to the S-AWC system in the X. Let's see if the AWC is such an "evolutionary" step that it can overcome the weight and underwhelming power to lap faster than the old car. That's the point sblvro and I are making.

That the only back to back track tests done have been vs the USDM version is clear, e.g. Edmunds quote :

Originally Posted by Edmunds
Mitsubishi engineers report that they can lap the Evo X 2 seconds faster around their 2.4-km (1.5-mile) course than a U.S.-spec Evo IX.
And am I the only one who finds it a little weird that Mitsu authorised back to back testing of the Evo X vs USDM IX but somehow "conveniently" forgot to test the X vs the JDM IX?

Wait for the real test : X vs JDM IX. Best motoring should have one out soon I think. And if the X doesn't measure up, I am not buying. In my market, JDM is the definitive version. Why should I settle for a slower, fatter new car? Both on-track and on-road?

(Yes, my opinion of the X has changed, and I am not afraid to admit it. I thought mitsu would surely deliver performance-wise: I am now willing to concede that I may have been wrong).
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:41 PM
Account Disabled

And am I the only one who finds it a little weird that Mitsu authorised back to back testing of the Evo X vs USDM IX but somehow "conveniently" forgot to test the X vs the JDM IX?

Wait for the real test : X vs JDM IX. Best motoring should have one out soon I think. And if the X doesn't measure up, I am not buying. In my market, JDM is the definitive version. Why should I settle for a slower, fatter new car? Both on-track and on-road?

(Yes, my opinion of the X has changed, and I am not afraid to admit it. I thought mitsu would surely deliver performance-wise: I am now willing to concede that I may have been wrong).
Maybe they provided a USDM car because the magazines testing them were from the US, hence giving them a proper basis for comparison? Has anyone seen a foreign review that actually mentions a head to head comparison with their markets Evo?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
good arguments, unfortunately you don't even own an evo and don't know a lot about it. yes, there are difference between US evo and the evo (UK and Japan) ever since we signed a petition to mitsubishi to bring it here in the US. just do your research instead of us handing it to you in a silver platter, since from your posts you seem to know more about the X but not a single idea about the IX. did the link not suffice?
yes i don't own an evo. what does that have to do with the fact that there really is no definitive test that shows the JDM IX is a lot faster than the USDM IX??? yes physics tells us less weight and AYC will make it faster but by how much???

obviously the real test would be JDM IX vs JDM X, but that hasn't happened yet. HOWEVER the IX proponents have insisted based on pure conjecture that the JDM IX is faster than the X. pure unadulterated BS!!!

i call it like i see it. people will simply make things up to prove how "bad" the evo X is...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turb0flat4
A lot of words there, and to be honest, I didn't read every one. But I got the gist.

I can't find anything directly pitting JDM IX vs USDM IX. But that's neither here nor there, because it would be indirect evidence at best. The proof of the pudding is in pitting a world Evo X vs a JDM Evo IX. Same track, same conditions, same driver. Because the Evo IX is the one with the S-AYC, the direct antecedent to the S-AWC system in the X. Let's see if the AWC is such an "evolutionary" step that it can overcome the weight and underwhelming power to lap faster than the old car. That's the point sblvro and I are making.

That the only back to back track tests done have been vs the USDM version is clear, e.g. Edmunds quote :

that's my whole point. there ISN'T a test pitting the USDM and JDM IX that i know of. so why does everybody say the JDM is SOOOO much faster? based on what? not only that, you get one ignorant fanboi saying that and 10 others agree. soon it's accepted as fact. wtf? it's not fact until proven so, and it's way too early to say that.

i don't think they "conveniently" forgot the JDM IX because imo the press event was really for the american journalists (even though other journalists from around the world were there too) and the american market where they can make the most money and gain the most market share. most likely it was to show the difference between no AYC and AYC (or in this case S-AWC altogether). it was an intro to AYC for the american press. that's how i saw it.

also notice that only the american journalists make direct comparisons to the IX. the euro and aussie press treated the event as an intro to the X, not so much a shootout like the americans made it out to be. from the sound of the euro press reviews, it sounds as if they didn't even test the "lowly" USDM IX. especially the UK boys with their awesome FQ models.

either way we all agree that the real tests have yet to be done. until then i'll continue to call out people that spout pure BS, people who perpetuate the BS, and people who pile on the "hate" that has engulfed the X.

Last edited by madfast; Oct 12, 2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

that's my whole point. there ISN'T a test pitting the USDM and JDM IX that i know of. so why does everybody say the JDM is SOOOO much faster? based on what? not only that, you get one ignorant fanboi saying that and 10 others agree. soon it's accepted as fact. wtf? it's not fact until proven so, and it's way too early to say that.

i don't think they "conveniently" forgot the JDM IX because imo the press event was really for the american journalists (even though other journalists from around the world were there too) and the american market where they can make the most money and gain the most market share. most likely it was to show the difference between no AYC and AYC (or in this case S-AWC altogether). it was an intro to AYC for the american press. that's how i saw it.

also notice that only the american journalists make direct comparisons to the IX. the euro and aussie press treated the event as an intro to the X, not so much a shootout like the americans made it out to be. from the sound of the euro press reviews, it sounds as if they didn't even test the "lowly" USDM IX. especially the UK boys with their awesome FQ models.

either way we all agree that the real tests have yet to be done. until then i'll continue to call out people that spout pure BS, people who perpetuate the BS, and people who pile on the "hate" that has engulfed the X.
Right, right, right. OK, the take home message is that the real tests have yet to be done. Until then, at least for people in most markets (except the US), the Evo X is unproven to be a step up, so it makes little sense to be an early adopter, unless one just wants to enjoy a new Evo.

I will wait for the Japanese to do their thing. I'll even get an idea from seeing the local boys duking it out at Sepang F1 circuit but it would hardly be fair since most of the locally tracked IXs are pushing 500+ crank hp now.

I don't think you need to be "calling anyone out", since even you agree that the real judgement has to wait. Until then NOBODY knows how good the X is, relatively speaking.

EDIT : And this is a good point :

most likely it was to show the difference between no AYC and AYC (or in this case S-AWC altogether). it was an intro to AYC for the american press. that's how i saw it.
Well and good, so it has been proven that (S-AWC) pwns (no aids) but not (S-AWC) pwns (S-AYC) nor (S-AYC) pwns (no aids).

I'm simply waiting for a test that bears out the middle comparison, which is most relevant to most people looking to buy a X (outside USA).

BTW, my dad already has an Evo VII GT-A. That has S-AYC and it handles really awesome, but it's hobbled by the slushbox. So if I do get the X with TC-SST, I'll have something to compare it with (S-AWC vs S-AYC, DSG vs slushbox), though it'll hardly be a serious comparo.

Last edited by Turb0flat4; Oct 13, 2007 at 04:22 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i think the 7th series had only the AYC only
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i think the 7th series had only the AYC only
Sorry, you're right. AYC, not Super-AYC. I honestly haven't bothered to learn the difference.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:29 AM

s ayc can transmit 10% more torque to the wheel with the loose traction than ayc
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Guerillah
lol this thread is funny. people doubting the evo x's handling, its been praised in every single review and pulls .97g on a 200ft skidpad, thats greater than a c6z06 and people are still *****ing. Putting 10mm wider tires on a evo ix isnt going to make it pull .97g all of a sudden. motortrend printed the evo ix as having a .92g 200ft skidpad performance.
Are you serious? A 10mm increase tire contact patch is a substantial difference, and most likely the main reason for the X laping faster than the IX besides better weight distribution and lower PMI.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Drives: Evo IX cuz that instantly makes whatever i say a fact
Someone is bitter.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IXToes
Someone is bitter.
cuz that's one of the unspoken rules of the forum. your point of view means sh*t unless you have an evo
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
cornering.
What do you mean by cornering? Please explain.

Quick Reply: What makes the evo X lap better than an evo IX