Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

the "300 lb+" weight gain of the Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope there are some passing speed comparisons done on the production model, I know people say you cant feel .5 seconds on a 0-60 which is probally true, but I'd like to think my butt dyno can feel the difference on say.... a 2nd gear pull. For example I'm sure my full bolt on evo VIII has improved the 0-60 by .5 seconds but all together if feels like a completely different beast. Supporters of the X say 0-60 isn't everything and I completely agree. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

i think it also has to do with the engine. they say that the 4b11 is smoother and less frantic despite its more power, so to me the louder and more frantic engine (4g63) will "seem" faster
Old Oct 16, 2007, 02:23 PM

I bet this has something to do with it

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gall.../photo_19.html
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoSjunkie
I bet this has something to do with it

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gall.../photo_19.html
Holy crap that's a lot of extra weight... that can be removed in a jiffy. You don't see a huge *** speaker like that in a BMW, yet they can still manage to give a quality sound (read: not obnoxious bassy sound) out of the Harmon Kardon sound systems they use. I'm not complaining... both my WRX and Evo's have crappy sound systems, while my Titan has just what I was looking for. Hopefully that big *** speaker will make things nice for the new Evo.

.... but it still can be removed when you need the weight gone. I like the sound of that.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
plus there is so much frivolus stuff on the x that you can save weight by replacing easier than on the ct9a's

the 2 tip exhaust, by replaceing it with a single exit 1 muffler exhaust would save more than doing the same on the ct9a

i am guessing that hood trunk etc are eavier than ct9a's and can be replaced w/ carbon fiber.

the interior is lux and i wouldnt sacrifice that. an evo w/ nav! ballen

wheels 18x8.5's vs 17x8's

the x come with the battery already in the trunk go mitsu

anyways, my point is that it would be easier to get the x down on weight than a ct9a b/c everything is nicer and stock
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evobeatsti
wheels 18x8.5's vs 17x8's
The front brakes are 13.7" in diameter for the rotors so I don't think a 17" wheel will work unless it's some sort of customized wheel. I was kinda bummed about this because I was hoping to save my stock Evo 8 wheels as a winter set for the X.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

The bottom line is the X is S-L-O-W-E-R. I too, had my fingers crossed but i just cant justify paying that much for a car that just de-evolved into the same 1/4 mile class as Mazdaspeeds, SRT-4, Mustang GT etc. Just my opinion. On a public forum.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jroller
The bottom line is the X is S-L-O-W-E-R. I too, had my fingers crossed but i just cant justify paying that much for a car that just de-evolved into the same 1/4 mile class as Mazdaspeeds, SRT-4, Mustang GT etc. Just my opinion. On a public forum.
Okay Mr. Vin Diesel worshiping "I live life a quarter mile at a time" guy.

News flash! The Evo wasn't designed to dominate a straight line... it was designed to go around corners in all conditions with the latest technology to aid in the process. It just happens to go straight pretty well, but that's totally besides the point.

How many Porsche/BMW/Lotus/etc owners do you know that bought their cars to just go down a simple, straight, boring line? Answer... none if any. When I buy the X, I wont buy it to go straight. I keep that to the turbo Neon and Mustang crowd.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mmelmann

News flash! The Evo wasn't designed to dominate a straight line... it was designed to go around corners in all conditions with the latest technology to aid in the process. It just happens to go straight pretty well, but that's totally besides the point.

How many Porsche/BMW/Lotus/etc owners do you know that bought their cars to just go down a simple, straight, boring line? Answer... none if any. When I buy the X, I wont buy it to go straight. I keep that to the turbo Neon and Mustang crowd.
lol turbo neon and mustang crowd
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jroller
Eh... the times I wouldn't say are final seeing how even after that meet with those 1/4 & 0-60 times there's different times from the folks saying 0-60 in 5.2 to acouple others quoting 4.5

Still waiting on someone to get their hands on a USDM model with SST since that just gives me more questions then answers
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

I scaled my RS @3,150lbs at the local track last Friday and it had almost a full tank of 93 dinosaur juice in the tank, a Recaro baby seat and a phat book of old CD's and a full of coffee metal mug and other misc junk w/ floor mats ...ohhh an Alpine CD player and MB quart component speakers that I added and CANNOT hear over 30mph cause my car has NO sound deadener from factory, not even the firewall mat that weighs 20lbs alone. I HAVE REMOVED my useless 5mph F/R crash beams and jack/spare. So if I want to I can have my car at 3,080 real quick . A stock 8/9 still toting the spare, crash bars and SSL pack is probably no lighter than a new X GSR w/5speed. So I agree the X isn't that much heavier.

I bet a new X RS no-Active-Yaw or ABS or sound deadening stripped down will be about the same as 8/9 RS's and have better weights w/ rear battery and aluminum block and firewall facing turbo
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mmelmann

Evo wasn't designed to dominate in a straight line? What NEW CAR goes as fast or faster then an evo in a straight line at a similar price point. (besides the sti and mustang cobra)

I shudder to think what I would have to pay to make a X as fast in a straight line as my VIII, guess I'll have to wait and see.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by konad
Evo wasn't designed to dominate in a straight line? What NEW CAR goes as fast or faster then an evo in a straight line at a similar price point. (besides the sti and mustang cobra)

I shudder to think what I would have to pay to make a X as fast in a straight line as my VIII, guess I'll have to wait and see.
apparently, an evo X?? lol

5.1 seconds:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...lution-rs.html
5.0 seconds:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...a-wrx-sti.html
5.3 seconds:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=89613

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...0/pageId=56899
Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Road and track has a 06 rs going 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and a 13 flat quarter. As I said I guess we'll just have to wait and see, I may be eating my words later. also, evo X isn't at that price point haha.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

you said YOUR evo viii, and juding by the color, it is not an RS

Quick Reply: the "300 lb+" weight gain of the Evo X