Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Mitsu confirms SportBack Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2008 | 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

That spoiler can go in the garbage and some other wheels are in order. Other than that, it's a sharp ride.
Old Mar 30, 2008 | 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pikapichu
Sorry for the ignorance, but what's all the excitement with diesel cars about?
no knocking... one from the bunch of advantage.
These new diesel engines nothing like 10 years ago.
Old Mar 30, 2008 | 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by felickz
So you pay 25% more for fuel that barely nets you a 25% increase in MPG. Oh yeh, Glowplugs are teh cool.
In Europe diesel is cheaper. In our country ONE LITER 95oct cost 2,20$ and diesel 1,95$. So I'd also like to point that stop whining that you have expensive fuel.
Old Mar 31, 2008 | 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Donitsi
In Europe diesel is cheaper. In our country ONE LITER 95oct cost 2,20$ and diesel 1,95$. So I'd also like to point that stop whining that you have expensive fuel.
The only reason the diesel fuel is cheaper in SOME European countries (and I say some because last time I was in Switzerland, diesel was more expensive than the highest grade gasoline) is because governments subsidize it meaning every tax payer additionally pays for it through their income/sales tax without even realizing it. Diesels are over rated, they are loud, they pollute a whole lot more (and no CO2 emissions are not everything, particular matter (PO) is what actually creates smog and diesels in that regard do a whole lot more damage to the environment) plus in order for a diesel engine to be really competitive with the same displacement gasoline counterpart they need turbochargers (which makes the engine theoretically less reliable than comparable gasoline unit).

Some people are fascinated with the amount of torque diesel engines produce but for example BMW diesel engines compared to their gasoline units of equal displacement are slower all across the board, so whats all this fascination all about...

Diesel is just another marketing fad, Europeans have diesels and Americans have Toyota hybrids which in real world driving aren't much better (just more complicated) than gasoline units. What the world needs is totally new alternate fuel source such as hydrogen or electricity (both of them require energy to be produced but even so it still comes down a lot cheaper to produce energy per driven mile). Diesels/hybrids are just a temporary "answer" (by marketing teams) but not a real solution.

Funny thing is that in 1996 Mitsubishi Mirage gasoline 1.5l unit was able to achieve over 40MPG, but over the years due to government regulations and cars getting heavier and heavier gas mileage has gone to crap. I am more than sure that the current 2.0l gasoline engine found in 2008 Lancer when outfitted in a 1996 Mirage body, you would get over 50 MPG on weight saving alone.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; Mar 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008 | 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pikapichu
Sorry for the ignorance, but what's all the excitement with diesel cars about?
i don't know 40-60 mpgandtons of TQ
Old Apr 4, 2008 | 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
The only reason the diesel fuel is cheaper in SOME European countries (and I say some because last time I was in Switzerland, diesel was more expensive than the highest grade gasoline) is because governments subsidize it meaning every tax payer additionally pays for it through their income/sales tax without even realizing it.
There is no government subvention of diesel in Europe.

The price of diesel is getting higher than gasoline because at the distilling process of crude oil you get diesel and gasoline. When the demand of diesel is very high the prices rise.

Both gasoline and diesel are very highly taxed in Europe.
Gasoline tax per liter ca 80 Euro Cent
Diesel tax per liter ca 60 Euro Cent

Diesel is a must for big SUV's.
Old Apr 4, 2008 | 05:54 AM

Figured I'd post up a few of the pics...

Old Apr 4, 2008 | 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ghamatos
There is no government subvention of diesel in Europe.

The price of diesel is getting higher than gasoline because at the distilling process of crude oil you get diesel and gasoline. When the demand of diesel is very high the prices rise.

Both gasoline and diesel are very highly taxed in Europe.
Gasoline tax per liter ca 80 Euro Cent
Diesel tax per liter ca 60 Euro Cent

Diesel is a must for big SUV's.
You just contradicted yourself, there is a government subvention any time there is tax involved and how come tax per liter of gasoline is higher than diesel when it doesn't cost the government anything to produce either of them? I know for a fact that German government pumps billions of Euro in energy structures and where does the German government gets all their funds from? The average Joe. people don't realize how many direct/indirect taxes go into places that if they would think about it for 100 years they wouldn't figure it out.
Old Apr 4, 2008 | 09:54 PM

those seats are SOOOOO ugly. Ruined it for me x1000000000000000000
Old Apr 7, 2008 | 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

first off diesel used to be about 1/2 of the price of gasoline in europe, but has steadily been inching up because of the sky rocketing price of crude oil. IT does take less processing than gasoline but not so much as to justify it being 50% cheaper than gasoline.

you might want to read up on the new generation of diesel engines that are not of what you described. the are not loud, pullute less than gasoline and for sure are more efficient than their gasoline counterparts.

VW is about to release a VW Polo turbodiesel, (you might know but its slightly smaller car than say a US Rabbit) that is supposed to get about 75mpg, now if thats not kewl, i dont know what is; its not going to be as quick as the evo but it puts a Prius to shame in the "green" dept. Eventhough these are still gasoline based engines, at least its progress, as the saying goes "Rome was not built in a day."

I also do recognize that your weight comment is very appropriate. As cars get more advanced and safety requirements are more advanced (IMO so that more companies can force their products on us the consumers ie: TPMS, 17 standard airbags, more crush zones, blah blah blaj) cars get heavier and burn more fuel. What about the 14.7:1 AFR BS? Cars could safely cruise at higher AFR and hence use less fuel. WHat about more strick inspections and educating people to properly keep their tires properly inflated, and implementing other technologies that save fuel, what about public transport, what about STOP making the gas guzzling trucks, We could list a whole bunch of other things, i am sure

otherwise, i am looking forward to seeing what the new lancer RA hatchback looks like, hoping for a 5 speed option from the get go and not in 2010.

2010 Subaru Legacy Turbo Diesel will be interesting to see, but thats in over a year from now on

The only reason the diesel fuel is cheaper in SOME European countries (and I say some because last time I was in Switzerland, diesel was more expensive than the highest grade gasoline) is because governments subsidize it meaning every tax payer additionally pays for it through their income/sales tax without even realizing it. Diesels are over rated, they are loud, they pollute a whole lot more (and no CO2 emissions are not everything, particular matter (PO) is what actually creates smog and diesels in that regard do a whole lot more damage to the environment) plus in order for a diesel engine to be really competitive with the same displacement gasoline counterpart they need turbochargers (which makes the engine theoretically less reliable than comparable gasoline unit).

Some people are fascinated with the amount of torque diesel engines produce but for example BMW diesel engines compared to their gasoline units of equal displacement are slower all across the board, so whats all this fascination all about...

Diesel is just another marketing fad, Europeans have diesels and Americans have Toyota hybrids which in real world driving aren't much better (just more complicated) than gasoline units. What the world needs is totally new alternate fuel source such as hydrogen or electricity (both of them require energy to be produced but even so it still comes down a lot cheaper to produce energy per driven mile). Diesels/hybrids are just a temporary "answer" (by marketing teams) but not a real solution.

Funny thing is that in 1996 Mitsubishi Mirage gasoline 1.5l unit was able to achieve over 40MPG, but over the years due to government regulations and cars getting heavier and heavier gas mileage has gone to crap. I am more than sure that the current 2.0l gasoline engine found in 2008 Lancer when outfitted in a 1996 Mirage body, you would get over 50 MPG on weight saving alone.

Last edited by pltek; Apr 7, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2008 | 01:00 AM

for sure all the safety regs and added weight are putting our gas mileage no where.
Old Apr 25, 2008 | 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Courtesy of gnusmaS:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...n/080425-4.pdf

Dated today, numbered pg 15. These business docs have been pretty informative. I like that the Prototype-S is featured on the first page.

While the US is still slated to get the Sportback in "early 2009", Europe gets it in Sept and Australia in Nov. It will be interesting to see if they get Ralliart versions at introduction or just the N/A-FWD versions. Something to look forward to seeing in the fall.

Last edited by desperado-c; Apr 25, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2008 | 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pltek
first off diesel used to be about 1/2 of the price of gasoline in europe, but has steadily been inching up because of the sky rocketing price of crude oil. IT does take less processing than gasoline but not so much as to justify it being 50% cheaper than gasoline.

you might want to read up on the new generation of diesel engines that are not of what you described. the are not loud, pullute less than gasoline and for sure are more efficient than their gasoline counterparts.

VW is about to release a VW Polo turbodiesel, (you might know but its slightly smaller car than say a US Rabbit) that is supposed to get about 75mpg, now if thats not kewl, i dont know what is; its not going to be as quick as the evo but it puts a Prius to shame in the "green" dept. Eventhough these are still gasoline based engines, at least its progress, as the saying goes "Rome was not built in a day."

I also do recognize that your weight comment is very appropriate. As cars get more advanced and safety requirements are more advanced (IMO so that more companies can force their products on us the consumers ie: TPMS, 17 standard airbags, more crush zones, blah blah blaj) cars get heavier and burn more fuel. What about the 14.7:1 AFR BS? Cars could safely cruise at higher AFR and hence use less fuel. WHat about more strick inspections and educating people to properly keep their tires properly inflated, and implementing other technologies that save fuel, what about public transport, what about STOP making the gas guzzling trucks, We could list a whole bunch of other things, i am sure

otherwise, i am looking forward to seeing what the new lancer RA hatchback looks like, hoping for a 5 speed option from the get go and not in 2010.

2010 Subaru Legacy Turbo Diesel will be interesting to see, but thats in over a year from now on
I am aware of the new generation of diesels especially the VW engines as they seem to be the industry standard but again, diesel fuel is more expensive than the highest grade gasoline in my area by almost a dollar, also, diesel engine cars are always more expensive by at least $2000. And again, I am aware of all the advancements in diesel engines but reality is that they still use turbochargers to really get them moving (diesels are more complex engines which potentially means they are less reliable and more expensive to fix) and even at the same displacement they have slower 0-60 times, torque does not necessarily equal speed, diesel torque is more useful for heavy use such as offroaders or trucks.

And diesels while emitting less CO2 than gasoline counterparts do NOT pollute less than gasoline counterparts. Pollution consists of more than just CO2, there is also particular matter (aka aerosols) which diesels emit a whole lot more than gasoline counterparts. And particular matter is actually responsible for smog creation. Those CO2 figures you see on European car sites are just an European Union government brainwashing, making people think that CO2 is the right way to measure pollution. Same thing with US government and bio-fuels, it actually requires more energy to extract bio-fuel than it creates while also contributing to rise in food costs across the US as demand for corn has skyrocketed. Just like people think hybrids are more environmentally friendly than gasoline units (maybe in short term) but in long term they will cause a huge environmental problem, afterall, those batteries will need to be disposed someday and they are not small nor they won't evaporate as fast as CO2/PM emissions, they will errode for years.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; Apr 25, 2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2008 | 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

diesel fuel is more expensive in US for no reason, its cheaper to make actually.

diesel engines are actually simpler than gas engines; sure the turbo charger helps to get them going (and complicates the design somewhat but lets not forget that turbo-diesel engines have been around for decades, proven technologies working side by side) but diesel engines have significantly more torque so the mid-range acceleration is much better on diesels.

pollution coming out of the tailpipe is a function of several things:

1. diesel engine: how it combusts the fuel to achieve the cleaner burn,
2. the exhaust system: the new ones use multiple cats and addititional filters/traps
3. the diesel fuel itself: us diesel now contains less sulfur and nitrogen oxide, the main contributors of smog and pollution

So YES, the new diesel engines burn less fuel and YES, they do pollute less than their engine counterparts, not just on the CO2 level. Now if the powers that be stop skewing the equation by charging more $ for fuel that costs less to make, we might actually have a winner here,...and make the truckers happy, and slow down the inflation.

I am aware of the new generation of diesels especially the VW engines as they seem to be the industry standard but again, diesel fuel is more expensive than the highest grade gasoline in my area by almost a dollar, also, diesel engine cars are always more expensive by at least $2000. And again, I am aware of all the advancements in diesel engines but reality is that they still use turbochargers to really get them moving (diesels are more complex engines which potentially means they are less reliable and more expensive to fix) and even at the same displacement they have slower 0-60 times, torque does not necessarily equal speed, diesel torque is more useful for heavy use such as offroaders or trucks.

And diesels while emitting less CO2 than gasoline counterparts do NOT pollute less than gasoline counterparts. Pollution consists of more than just CO2, there is also particular matter (aka aerosols) which diesels emit a whole lot more than gasoline counterparts. And particular matter is actually responsible for smog creation. Those CO2 figures you see on European car sites are just an European Union government brainwashing, making people think that CO2 is the right way to measure pollution. Same thing with US government and bio-fuels, it actually requires more energy to extract bio-fuel than it creates while also contributing to rise in food costs across the US as demand for corn has skyrocketed. Just like people think hybrids are more environmentally friendly than gasoline units (maybe in short term) but in long term they will cause a huge environmental problem, afterall, those batteries will need to be disposed someday and they are not small nor they won't evaporate as fast as CO2/PM emissions, they will errode for years.

Last edited by pltek; Apr 28, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2008 | 10:39 AM

I don't want a sportback, I want a WAGON.

... why did they not make a USDM Evo wagon, I'd rock the **** out of one.

Quick Reply: Mitsu confirms SportBack Lancer