Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Not good news on mitsu future

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For anyone who's been paying attention, Mitsubishi has been on shaky financial ground since Chrysler divested back in 2004. But I agree, this could be the final nail in the coffin if the economy doesn't turn around in the next 6 months or so.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
why would the value of a car with the performance abilities of the Evo ever tank if they weren't here anymore? That just doesn't make sense to me at all, but maybe I haven't thought about it the same way you have.
Why would it go up? Despite what people think, the Evo isn't a classic car, at best it's a cult car. The Evo X hasn't been around that long and it's still a relatively unknown vehicle. While it performs well, it's not extraordinary, there are several other cars that have roughly equal performance. What does the Evo have that sets it apart? It's not an iconic car like the Skyline or the Supra, it's just a really nice car that some people love. If Mitsubishi left the US market, selling Evos would be hard as hell since not a lot of people want to buy a vehicle that has no factory support available.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is really a 5 year plan from what I hear from inside corporate.. So don't expect Mitsubishi to quit selling cars any time real soon.. Unless things go downhill in a hurry...

If they'd actually sell their Japanese line-up of cars here, they'd do better. Really though.. they have a 4-door Smart-sized car in Japan... and a Fit/Yaris-sized car (Colt!) available with a turbo.. and a compact/mid-sized pickup truck (that isn't a rebadged Dodge) along with a bunch of other neat stuff. They need to haul *** and get those suckers safety and smog-approved for U.S. sales...

As for their current line-up, I think:
- Current Eclipse is awful. Needs to die.
- Galant is a good car, but boring and costs too much compared to the competition.
- The new Lancer is awesome. Best car they sell right now.
- Outlander is a really good small SUV. Based on the Lancer.
- Endeavor is pretty good for a mid-size SUV.. But not really amazing in its class.
- Raider? I think it's dead. I hope it's dead. Because it stinks.

Mitsubishi needs a halo car that normal people are interested in... And a car that actually gets good fuel economy. Most people don't care about EVOs and barely getting 30mpg highway in a base model Lancer isn't competitive with other manufacturers' offerings.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Why would it go up? Despite what people think, the Evo isn't a classic car, at best it's a cult car. The Evo X hasn't been around that long and it's still a relatively unknown vehicle. While it performs well, it's not extraordinary, there are several other cars that have roughly equal performance. What does the Evo have that sets it apart? It's not an iconic car like the Skyline or the Supra, it's just a really nice car that some people love. If Mitsubishi left the US market, selling Evos would be hard as hell since not a lot of people want to buy a vehicle that has no factory support available.
I disagree somewhat. You see all these japanese car battles including the touge battles and evos are used frequently. Think about the price of the supra and skyline; of course it won't hold it's value the same way, but I can see it holding a pretty good value. Also, the evo gets to 10's as fast or faster than the supra does in terms of upgradeability; will it win from a roll, no, but it will outhandle it and be more practical.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 05:16 PM

Car companies have to do what they feel is better for their future finacial viability regardless of what models they sell. I would be greatly saddened but not surprised if Mitsubishi announced that they will be pulling the Evo out of North America. I think that the auto manufacturers need to become as lean as possible in today's market. It doesn't mean that they will not bring back the models we absolutely love a few years later; they just need to remain viable and efficient for the stockholders and everone else involved.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Excalibur
I disagree somewhat. You see all these japanese car battles including the touge battles and evos are used frequently. Think about the price of the supra and skyline; of course it won't hold it's value the same way, but I can see it holding a pretty good value. Also, the evo gets to 10's as fast or faster than the supra does in terms of upgradeability; will it win from a roll, no, but it will outhandle it and be more practical.
Ask 10 people whether they've heard of the Evo, I'm guessing maybe 3 say yes. Of those 3, maybe 1 will actually know what the Evo is. By contrast, ask 10 people if they've heard of the Supra or Skyline. Last time I checked, practicality never made a car a classic, I've never seen someone call a minivan a classic. The Evo's a nice car but it's still a relatively underground vehicle.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Xevo10
Car companies have to do what they feel is better for their future finacial viability regardless of what models they sell. I would be greatly saddened but not surprised if Mitsubishi announced that they will be pulling the Evo out of North America. I think that the auto manufacturers need to become as lean as possible in today's market. It doesn't mean that they will not bring back the models we absolutely love a few years later; they just need to remain viable and efficient for the stockholders and everone else involved.
The EVO is pretty much the only car they make that's a surefire sale. The Lancer and Eclipse do well, as does the Outlander, but the rest of the lineup is pretty stagnant. The Galant and Endeavor SUV (based on the Galant) sell something like 10,000 units/year combined...

Mitsubishi has a small car lineup that could dominate here if they were so inclined as to import it.. That's what the market wants. Not boring mid-size sedans and SUVs.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Ask 10 people whether they've heard of the Evo, I'm guessing maybe 3 say yes. Of those 3, maybe 1 will actually know what the Evo is. By contrast, ask 10 people if they've heard of the Supra or Skyline. Last time I checked, practicality never made a car a classic, I've never seen someone call a minivan a classic. The Evo's a nice car but it's still a relatively underground vehicle.
True, now you would also have to take into consideration how long the supra has been available. Alot longer in the US. I would like to see someone do something like this for all kinds of cars. That would be sweet. Usually if it's not a cobra or some other American car, people don't know what it is either unless they're a real enthusiast. That's how this country is. Unless it's bmw, mercedes, etc. in which case people just know the name and don't necessarily know the car. Only time will tell. Back in the day you wouldn't picture there being fast sedans period. That would have been laughed at. Times are changing; it may just be a collector in a way, who knows.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya here in america there will be more people that know what a mustang and a camaro is rather than an evo and sti. Only because they have been around longer. Same with the supras and skylines. they were rolling with v6's not many people liked 4cyclinders back then. It is still considered a p*ssy lil engine. My buddies with novas and chevelles tell me this all the time. but yet im running better 1/4 times than what they are.

I would rather think that the big V8's with 400+ hp will not be having a lot of sales. I would think someone that actually wants power and decent gas milage looks into 4 cyclinder turbos. Evos only been here since 2003. More and more cars are going to be going smaller turbo'd engines. This will only help stis and evos because people are just starting to get educated on these things.

Last edited by godmiller10; Feb 1, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

True, now you would also have to take into consideration how long the supra has been available. Alot longer in the US. I would like to see someone do something like this for all kinds of cars. That would be sweet. Usually if it's not a cobra or some other American car, people don't know what it is either unless they're a real enthusiast. That's how this country is. Unless it's bmw, mercedes, etc. in which case people just know the name and don't necessarily know the car. Only time will tell. Back in the day you wouldn't picture there being fast sedans period. That would have been laughed at. Times are changing; it may just be a collector in a way, who knows.
That's part of the problem, if Mitsubishi leaves the market or stops production of the Evo, it won't have time to build the reputation necessary to become a classic car.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RYANW5120
Well if service treats everyone the way I was treated by them, I can understand why noone wants a mitsu. If I ever sell my 9 I will never shop with mitsu again.
+1. Mitsubishi's are pretty good cars, but if their service was better, I would've always recommended the brand to my friends and relatives.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

That's part of the problem, if Mitsubishi leaves the market or stops production of the Evo, it won't have time to build the reputation necessary to become a classic car.
The reputation will build at the track when they say "What was that car?" when it beats other badass cars. You have a point though.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:48 PM
GNR
Evolving Member

If mitsu leaves there goes my cars. Mitsu is the only car company from japan that is still made there. Everything I buy is japan-korean only. The eclipse is a good car, but everyone wants rwd, not fwd. But most people doesnt know that RWD is **** in the rain and snow.. I will not drive an RWD period, even if it has traction control. Most people in america knows about mustangs and camaro, because they r americas. Go out and ask any asian out there about mustangs or camaros, they will tell u somethings like pieces of crap..
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:49 PM
GNR
Evolving Member

All services representives not only mitsu ****...
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

The reputation will build at the track when they say "What was that car?" when it beats other badass cars. You have a point though.
Track prowess means nothing to the public unfortunately, while racers will admire and respect the Evo, the majority of people will wonder why someone dressed up their Lancer.

Quick Reply: Not good news on mitsu future