Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Not good news on mitsu future

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not good news on mitsu future

I just got my recent edition of MOTOR TREND. Dark days for cars are nearing.

Motortrend has this update about MITSU.

"Mitsubishi, struggling to retain six digit annual sales here, is essentially a tax writeoff for Mitsu UFJ, one of Japan's largest banks. If and when the tax writeoff becomes marginal, Mitsu will pull out of the US market-perhaps out of the car business"

The news is not better for Subie. Having lost its connection with GM, Toyota will now help keep it viable, which means, potentially, future Subie models powered with something other than horizontally opposed engines. The joint venture with Toyota on the sport coupe is on hold, however.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yikes!!!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:24 AM

I am not surprised. Everyone is struggling, both the foreign and domestic car companies. Additionally, I have a coworker and her brother works for Mitsubishi and can get discounts for family. So I asked her why she drives an Acura and she said "who the heck wants a Mitsubishi." My point being that Mitsubishi is not in the general public's eye (in the U.S.A.) a desirable automobile to own. Add to that the lousy service and you have recipe for failure. It is a real shame as I feel my Evo is one of the better quality cars I have owned. In contrast, my Uncle in Europe was very impressed that I owned an Evo...
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sure Mitsu will still be big overseas.

Our local MItsu dealership has closed recently which sucks since i buy alot of OEM stuff from there. Word is they got bought out and are re-opening under a different Mitsu dealership owner. We will see.

Aaron
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Well, hopefully they're keep around long enough. Economies have recessions and depressions; it's just the nature of the beast. As populations increase and more issues with natural resources, environment, etc arise, the effects will be more dramatic; however, after a while things will always return to where it was and beyond. That's how that stuff works.
I hope mitsu can stick to it though.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, hopefully they can stay afloat through the storm, because the economy will look better in late 2009, according to many economic experts at least. Of course with those guys, it's like weather predictions; most of the time they are pretty close, but occasionally they are so far off it's not even funny. Time will tell, I suppose.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by dboz
I just got my recent edition of MOTOR TREND. Dark days for cars are nearing.

Motortrend has this update about MITSU.

"Mitsubishi, struggling to retain six digit annual sales here, is essentially a tax writeoff for Mitsu UFJ, one of Japan's largest banks. If and when the tax writeoff becomes marginal, Mitsu will pull out of the US market-perhaps out of the car business"

The news is not better for Subie. Having lost its connection with GM, Toyota will now help keep it viable, which means, potentially, future Subie models powered with something other than horizontally opposed engines. The joint venture with Toyota on the sport coupe is on hold, however.
And people thought the idea of Mitsubishi leaving the US market was crazy . I hope they don't leave but I wouldn't be that shocked, they're still a relatively new company and the current economic issues certainly aren't helping. I'm a bit shocked at what you say about Subaru considering their sales have gone up. From what I understand, Subaru is actually building some Camrys in its plants.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Well if service treats everyone the way I was treated by them, I can understand why noone wants a mitsu. If I ever sell my 9 I will never shop with mitsu again.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

I hope Mitsubishi doesn't leave the US market that would probably make are cars go down in value or could make them more of a collector Item in the future ether way I don't want them to leave...
Old Feb 1, 2009, 01:17 PM

Big time FAIL for all MITSU. lovers if this happens

But i agree with ryan, service for mitsu even here in TX. SUCKS!!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jorge mr
Big time FAIL for all MITSU. lovers if this happens

But i agree with ryan, service for mitsu even here in TX. SUCKS!!
Yeah, pretty much you have to know someone that works for them.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

so there wouldn't be any new Evo models here.. or at all. Take care of your cars then all... at least there will be plenty of places online who will still sell the parts we need and the value will SKYROCKET on our cars !!

Last edited by Methodical4u; Feb 1, 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

i don't need mitsu i voided my warranty long time ago......there will be a lot of car companies and other businesses going out. this is just the beginning
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
so there wouldn't be any new Evo models here.. or at all. Take care of your cars then all... at least there will be plenty of places online who will still sell the parts we need and the value will SKYROCKET !!
Or the value will absolutely tank.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Or the value will absolutely tank.
why would the value of a car with the performance abilities of the Evo ever tank if they weren't here anymore? That just doesn't make sense to me at all, but maybe I haven't thought about it the same way you have.

Quick Reply: Not good news on mitsu future