Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slim8605
So wouldn't it make sense to just improve the Ralliart instead of trying to make a cheaper Evo? (which is what the Ralliart is btw)
Ralliart is closely related to the Evo anyway so whether they are upgrading the Ralliart or downgrading the Evo makes little difference. The point is Mitsu should make an entry level Evo like they did a few years ago (RS?) for about $26-27k by taking out all the luxury stuff that kids don't need and keeping the essentials engine, turbo, AWD, brakes...

Sadly none of that matters bc they are getting rid of everything Evo. A few years later, they will realize their failure and close up their automotive division and go back to making ships, electronics, pens and whatever **** they make.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:46 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
mmmm, it isn't official until the fat lady sings!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/index.html
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Teats_MCGEE
wow.. unbelievable.. i wonder why mitsubishi decided to take this route, when nissan and toyota are still building performance vehicles. does anybody know if they're losing money on the evos?
Toyota has a performance car? huh could of fooled me.
( the lfa don't really count normal people can't buy one and int he usa no one can)
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Riced
Toyota has a performance car? huh could of fooled me.
( the lfa don't really count normal people can't buy one and int he usa no one can)

This guy should be coming out soon.
Evolved Member

Toyota has plenty of performance cars, not to mention they have repeatedly said they are developing them.

The top of the line is IS-F and LF-A, but I'd consider the IS series in general performance oriented, along with the upcoming FT-86 which they just showed off in Geneva.
Evolved Member

I know if this is true I will be purchasing at least one clean IX to let it sit. I have a lot of fun with my 04, but in the near future if I can get out of it and pick myself up an extremely low mileage 9 that is stock for a good price that's exactly what I'm going to do as I foresee that being the car that will be relatively worth the most out of the bunch.

Sad day, but at least I own 2. And I'll definitely own another one.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SME
They said the VIII was the last model, the said the IX was the last model, now they are saying the X is the last model...
This never happened. I remember being excited when the IX was announced because I figured used VIIIs would be cheaper. I remember having second doubts before buying my IX because of all the buzz the upcoming X was getting.

Never before was there evidence like this from inside Mitsubishi that the Evo was finished. I believe it.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:02 AM

Not surprised. Evos aren't very profitable for the company
And the touring attempt to make it mainstream failed miserably.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

It's funny how everyone pretends to know the automotive industry AND the alternative power industry better than Mitsubishi. As if the incredibly complex long term finances and affects on the environment can be summed up in an article or two you read somewhere lol. NO ONE on this forum knows what's better for Mitsubishi (or likely the environment) better than Mitsubishi. We should leave the bashing and wild, overly simplified speculations at the door and spend this time morning or honoring the car we all cherished.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UM_DC5
I don't think the prices will sky rocket but this news will definitely help the sales. Evo's biggest problem is people who want the car can't afford it and people who can afford the car don't want it (probably getting entry-level luxury cars). What Mitsu needs to do is what Subaru does with their WRX - make an entry-level Evo for about $26k.
Originally Posted by UM_DC5
Ralliart is closely related to the Evo anyway so whether they are upgrading the Ralliart or downgrading the Evo makes little difference. The point is Mitsu should make an entry level Evo like they did a few years ago (RS?) for about $26-27k by taking out all the luxury stuff that kids don't need and keeping the essentials engine, turbo, AWD, brakes...
Making a stripped down version of the Evo wouldn't be doing what Subaru did with the WRX. Subaru improved the suspension and added power. They didn't start with the STi and subtract. People that buy a fully loaded WRX won't be cross-shopping an empty, basic Evo. Taking out luxuries won't sell more cars. Just look at the number of MRs, MR-Ts, GSR with SSS packages that are floating around here. Those luxuries are things that people want.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:18 AM

This is the reason that I got my Evo X last week. The days for cars like Evo or STIs are numbered. I don't want to regret years later how I could have got the Evo and had some fun when the gas prices are still affordable lol.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Gas already hit 4$ for premium where I live...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I honestly could care less. As a proud VIII owner, I feel that they ruined the Evolution series when they introduced the X. More personally when they switched from the 4g63 to the 4b11.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Woah! I think people here have to slow down a bit.

perhaps what they meant was that the CURRENT evo is going to die, and lets be honest here we all knew that already. the idea of a hybrid or EV "evo" has been around since the 2005 Evo MIEV electric concept. and the rumors of a PX-MiEV derived evo has been persistent as of late.

is it that far of a stretch to think that mitsu may make a "performance" EV/hybrid and not call it an evo? or maybe they will brand it an evo but it will be nothing like what we have today? mitsu said the evo may die but not performance cars per se...

Last edited by madfast; Mar 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why make a car called the Evo which was built as a street going rally car when you don't compete in WRC and having shut down the internal racing division in Ralliart?

Maybe they could have a US only model that runs Evo hardware. We had the Eclipse GSX before which did not exist in Japan, now seems a good time for Mitsubishi Motors North America to stand up and demand something for this market as well.

Quick Reply: Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more