Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carloverx
NO ONE on this forum knows what's better for Mitsubishi (or likely the environment) better than Mitsubishi.
That's like saying Coke drinkers who said Coke 2 was a bad idea had no right to say it was a bad idea.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:16 PM

I'd rather see the Evo get the axe, then become some kind of cheap joke just to keep the name around. Other performance "icons" such as the MustangII, and the Charger (possibly the eclipse) come to mind immediately.

The way the global economy is going these days, this industry has to evolve. It'll be interesting to see if/when the name is revived, and what said vehicle will look like. Hopefully, whatever it is, it will live up to the Evo name.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Its truly sad for sure, but in all honestly Evos died for me when they stopped production of the 4g63. Ill probably end up trying to search out a low mileage stock 9 and keep playin with my 8. Most unfortunate for me is that ill never have the luxury of owning a brand new evo.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:22 PM

I just talked to my buddy Ed that works at R&D and he told me that this year was the last year for the RAs... they are still around, but hard to find!

As far as the STIs, that is why Mitsubishi is pulling the Evo, STI sales are killing them along with the sponsors are not backing the Evo like they should. He said "Chalk it up to our great marketing team!" They are having a fit because it is only being sold to 5% of the market.. Pifffff!
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by loudpedal
I'd rather see the Evo get the axe, then become some kind of cheap joke just to keep the name around. Other performance "icons" such as the MustangII, and the Charger (possibly the eclipse) come to mind immediately.

The way the global economy is going these days, this industry has to evolve. It'll be interesting to see if/when the name is revived, and what said vehicle will look like. Hopefully, whatever it is, it will live up to the Evo name.

I agree. Evo 8 was awesome. Evo 9, awesome + 1. Evo X, still pretty awesome but maybe gaining a bit too much in the waist. Better stop right there.

For me mitsu was/is nothing without the evo. I'd own one of its competitors than anything else in its model range. I'm not a fanboy by any means. I just love the evo. I'm glad it ended on a high note. And I own one of the last of the legendary 4g63s.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
That's like saying Coke drinkers who said Coke 2 was a bad idea had no right to say it was a bad idea.
Rolling out a new product isn't the same as knowing when to pull one you've been selling for 19 years. If you really really wanted to use "new coke" as analogy, Evo's would be the failed product.

On a side note, everyone here is talking about how much they love the evo, but would never buy another Mitsubishi. This is just another indicator that the evo is failing to do what it was designed for. If Mitsubishi wants to become a green company, having an Evo really makes no sense.

Last edited by Carloverx; Mar 2, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

i call bs unless i see a real press release
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:48 PM

Rolling out a new product isn't the same as knowing when to pull one you've been selling for 19 years. If you really really wanted to use "new coke" as analogy, Evo's would be the failed product.
....If it's not broke, don't fix it?

:edit:

Thought I was in before the side note.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

If Mitsubishi wants to become a green company, having an Evo really makes no sense.
If Mitsubishi wants to be a green company, selling cars doesn't make sense.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Wow! if this is really true, then i might as well get a new evo X for it will soon be the last of the breed of evos for mitsubishi... i would be ok with this though if they, as an exchange, revive the mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 with horsepower figures in the neighborhood of 500 and can compete straight from the factory with the likes of the 2012 nissan GT-R, lexus LFA, chevy corvette Z06 etc.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Wait! You mean I can't buy a 4300lb, completely electronically controlled, bulbous, tahoe sized car that costs $45,000? Oh crap, whatever will I do?!?! /sarcasm

The truth is, cars get heavier and less fun to drive as time goes on. Most become much less pure and much more expensive to buy and fix. I can afford a new Evo X but I spent the time to find an Evo VIII or IX, because that is what I wanted and it's basically impossible to find a good LHD <6.

My biggest worry is that tuners may suffer. All the Evo's that are going to me modified eventually will be, then it will be about maintenance. With no new models, thus no flow of new cars needing to be modified, this could hurt business. Some tuners will take on other makes/models to keep going.

As far as values, look at the FD RX7... No drop really, and most have went up, even with well known engine challenges, and they are still stupid-desirable. A lightweight, great handling, easy to mod car is going to be in demand. And the last I heard, the Evo is one of the best handling cars ever. Don't expect the bottom to fall out of the market just yet.
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 06:21 PM

this kills my hopes of every owning a brand new evo...
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 06:31 PM

lol what? You have no idea what Mitsubishi's books look like. If you want to speculate, look at the fact they've done terribly over the past few year WITH the Evo....

Relative to other makes/models, the evo is a total joke in terms of sales.

Here are supposed Evo IX numbers :
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-updated.html

8,201 imported into the US.

Are there Evo's out there winning races, making a name for Mitsubishi?? NOPE
Are there people buying other models because they love Evo's??? NOPE (ok, maybe like 100 people out there lol). Point is, sure be upset for Mitsubishi axing the car, but to claim it's a bad business move is comical.

Yeah, it looks like the Evo really boosted sales in 2006 : http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/04/by-the-numbers-2006/ lol
Mitsu has been doing poorly because rest of their lineup SUCKS, NOT because of the Evo not selling well. They need to improve their Galant and regular Lancer to really boost sales.

Evo IS making a name for Mitsu.
Would people buy an Aveo because they love Corvette? I don't understand your logic here.
If getting rid of the best model in the lineup isn't a bad business move, I don't know what is.

Originally Posted by Crester
The EVO isn't about sales numbers. These cars are too niche orientated for the general public to all run out and buy them. These cars are about performance and company image.

And as for winning races... last year's North American, Canadian and American rally championships are EVO X.

I am really saddened by this news of the EVO X being the last generation. Can't really say I'd buy another Mitsu if they did kill the EVO.
amen
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 06:42 PM

So What is the 4B11 goin into next?
Old Mar 2, 2011 | 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by havok1212
So What is the 4B11 goin into next?
Likely a Hyundai. As long as they continue to make Lancers I don't see why they wouldn't make EVO's as the 4B11T is relatively new and they can just carry over the same AWD system like Subaru does every generation. It shouldn't take a lot of R&D to carry over existing drivetrain.

Last edited by heavyD; Mar 2, 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more