Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011 | 11:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Esvees
And frankly they've spent all that money on developing the Evo X, they could still manage 2 or so facelifts out of that and keep it as a brand icon without breaking the bank.
I somewhat agree here. I really do think they could just change the bumper, maybe direct injection and call it a IX. With that being said the world is starting to make tougher restrictions on fuel economy. The Evo isn't exactly friendly there.
Old Mar 3, 2011 | 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

great there goes our extended warranties!!
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

hopefully the blue book goes up now, and makes the evo IX MR worth more ! hehehehe
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsu and Subaru: little brother following big brother

Thanks to EVOM member, slt for providing the sales figures for in February...what is interesting is the highest seller was the Galant accounting for 20% of total sales yet is eliminating the Galant...why would U get rid of UR best seller?

Also of note in all this is, has been following, not leading Subaru...it was Subaru that brought the WRX and STI to USA and it took 2-3 years before folllowed with the EVO and subsequent development and sales. So what would be interesting to see is the sales figures for Subaru in February for comparative purposes..slt, can U provide or give source for same? Where I am going is historically has followed Subaru, sort of like Berger King and McDonalds, so I am wondering if Subaru has already gone/committed to the "green road" and is just following again OR have they struck out on their own with going green in a big way divorced from a rally based brand?

Later, Ken
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx
Since we're all throwing guesses out there, here's my overly simplified explanation on

WHY KILLING THE EVO MIGHT BE A SMART BUSINESS MOVE: (even though it sucks for us enthusiasts)

1. YEAR AFTER YEAR Mitsubishi CANNOT compete with bigger brands and it's slowly killing itself. It knows at this rate it will be dead in the next decade.

2. They predict EV and alternative fuel cars are the future. And with gas prices sky rocketing, can you blame them?? (Mitsubishi is probably spending EVO R&D on funding Libyan rebels lol )

3. If they heavily focus on EV technology NOW, they can become synonymous for it AND proficient at it before the other manufacturers.

4. So why spend the precious little TIME AND MONEY they have on an Evo - a car that's going to 1. drag down your company's overall MPG (what you're attempting to be known for) ; 2. doesn't remotely appeal to their core demographic?; 3. Isn't profitable; 4. spits in the face of what you're shaping your company image into? etc etc etc?

BONUS: 5. Picture this: it's 2018. Mitsubishi now knows EV better than everyone in the industry. AND GUESS WHAT'S UNDER THAT "2018 Geneva Motor Show" COVER?? DRUMMMM ROOLLLLLLLL SUUCCKKAAAASSSS: An AWD Battery Powered Evo, ripe with 2018 technology that would make Bad Bish's new TQ curve (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-amazing.html) look like someone on a razor scooter ( obviously i'm exaggerating).

Honestly, I don't know. It's just funny to see people think the Evo makes a big difference and that they know what's better for Mitsubishi when it comes to its cancellation lol Gotta think of the bigger picture before you start bashing.

STOP IT YOUR HURTING MY FEELINGS...! You do have a valid point though bro. I guess I'll just buy 2 complete 4b11s, keep them in storage, and keep the usage of my 08 RR X to a minimum...
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

From: Standing at the edge of the gene pool with a flamethrower...
Interesting thread. Sad, but interesting.

Coming from the WRX world, and before that muscle cars, I had read about the Evo for years and always wanted one. So I got one and never regreted it once. Its been a fast, reliable, amazing car even. My wife calls it the "Mighty Evo."

I know the car was evolving and had its detracters.

But I was actually looking forward to a turbodiesel hybrid car that blew the doors of its competition. I thought that would be very unique and forward thinking.

Oh well.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

After reading this whole thread, I feel like crap. This would be a truly upsetting moment. The Evo is my favorite car and I've had many other fast cars outside of a Mitsubishi, but my turbo AWD Mitsu's have always been my favorite.

Not that I don't believe the person who posted this thread, but seeing that this is the internet, I have to be a little more critical. Is there solid proof that this move by Mitsubishi is in-fact going to happen? If so, this is a very sad day...
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 05:39 AM

as soon as I heard this, my jaw dropped. This is 100% suck.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Seriously tho .. this feels like when Nissan killes Skyline GTR and Silvia, Honda killes S2000 and NSX, Toyota killed Supra... now I do feel their pain since I'm such a big fan of Evo... (and I havent own one yet..)

I guess the sadest thing is Evo was in the line up for nearly 20 years... Seriously.. i would prefer if they kill it, rather than ruin it by making it what it's not... (look at how Honda made the CR-Z to be the "next" CRX...)

Time to hunt for an Evo 9 in Canada =)
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

FYI guys, there's a Keep The Evo Alive campaign on Facebook, if you're interested.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Thanks to EVOM member, slt for providing the sales figures for in February...what is interesting is the highest seller was the Galant accounting for 20% of total sales yet is eliminating the Galant...why would U get rid of UR best seller?
Originally Posted by slt
I'm sure the Galants were mostly fleet sales to rental car companies.
The Galant is tired and old and not on the radar of new car buyers. Almost every Galant made is fleeted out at very little profit. They are obviously not committed to building another one so it will be phased out.

Subaru won't break down sales of STIs from Imprezas, so we don't know. I would have to say it probably isn't stellar. There has been no real improvement or break through enhancements of the car in a while. The biggest news with the STI is always how much more the WRX bites off of it each time a new model rolls out.

If this plan works, Mitsubishi will be leading everyone in EV technology. Our only hope is that they become super profitable very soon and decide one non advertised, under the radar product like a gas swilling AWD Evo type vehicle won't hurt their image because no one outside of car forums and enthusiasts knows about it anyway.

As dismal as that sales break down looked, they were still up 70% over Feb 2010s numbers, so it is looking better for them. The Outlander Sport was a good boost to their bottom line.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx
Since we're all throwing guesses out there, here's my overly simplified explanation on

WHY KILLING THE EVO MIGHT BE A SMART BUSINESS MOVE: (even though it sucks for us enthusiasts)

1. YEAR AFTER YEAR Mitsubishi CANNOT compete with bigger brands and it's slowly killing itself. It knows at this rate it will be dead in the next decade.

2. They predict EV and alternative fuel cars are the future. And with gas prices sky rocketing, can you blame them?? (Mitsubishi is probably spending EVO R&D on funding Libyan rebels lol )

3. If they heavily focus on EV technology NOW, they can become synonymous for it AND proficient at it before the other manufacturers.

4. So why spend the precious little TIME AND MONEY they have on an Evo - a car that's going to 1. drag down your company's overall MPG (what you're attempting to be known for) ; 2. doesn't remotely appeal to their core demographic?; 3. Isn't profitable; 4. spits in the face of what you're shaping your company image into? etc etc etc?

BONUS: 5. Picture this: it's 2018. Mitsubishi now knows EV better than everyone in the industry. AND GUESS WHAT'S UNDER THAT "2018 Geneva Motor Show" COVER?? DRUMMMM ROOLLLLLLLL SUUCCKKAAAASSSS: An AWD Battery Powered Evo, ripe with 2018 technology that would make Bad Bish's new TQ curve (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-amazing.html) look like someone on a razor scooter ( obviously i'm exaggerating).

Honestly, I don't know. It's just funny to see people think the Evo makes a big difference and that they know what's better for Mitsubishi when it comes to its cancellation lol Gotta think of the bigger picture before you start bashing.

people need to start realizing this. and its not just the evo. a ton of performance cars have been rumored to be hybrid in the next generation.

the sooner mitsu devotes all of its resources to a hybrid evo, the better future for them, and for us.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blueman88
My fellow Lancer/Evo owners, Please sign this petition and also add this cause and help us save the Evo!

Petition:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/mod_pe...ned.cgi?EvoX&1

Cause:
http://www.causes.com/causes/586696-...r_id=170171819

Thank you to all who join us to keep this Legend alive!
Enough with the campaigns/petitions. People signing something online doesn't make that much of a difference in this type of situation.

Show them you want the car to stay by buying one or getting someone else to. Revenue is what will keep the car(s) alive. Anything short of that won't get much accomplished.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lumpy
FYI guys, there's a Keep The Evo Alive campaign on Facebook, if you're interested.
Signed..
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 10:12 AM

the electric evo (aka evolution miev) have already been on the bench for some time. Maby an electric version of the evo will be available for us earlyer than we think
autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/203700/mitsubishi_evo.html

Quick Reply: Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more