Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011 | 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Brilliant business move Mitsubishi. GM and Nissan are just rolling it in on EV cars:

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/03/01...ssan-67-leafs/

Nissan sold 67 Leafs in February. SIXTY. SEVEN.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 10:26 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Brilliant business move Mitsubishi. GM and Nissan are just rolling it in on EV cars:

Erik, if you'd hug a tree, they could make it 68!

Last edited by Noize; Mar 4, 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: I can't spel.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC

That's because Nissan can't make enough to sell.

The leaf costs as much as much as the Evo and is as niche as the Evo if not more.

Let's hope Mitsu keeps a steady supply of Evos until 2013 (not slow down production in 2012/2013) and makes some kind of performance beast to replace the Evo. Honestly, I still don't understand why Mitsu went through all that trouble to R&D an Evo and just make it for 4-5 years.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

All part of the hype. I think they will do away with it for a few years and then try to come back with some super high tech/boxy futuristic mobile. Mitsu is pulling a Chevy right now.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by i love my evo
News hitting hard today....read this first, then ARC bankruptcy....
F*** ARC! over priced cheesy looking crap. Im def disappointed in Mitsus new direction.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lumpy
FYI guys, there's a Keep The Evo Alive campaign on Facebook, if you're interested.

BUUUMMPPP keep this alive!!! you see what facebook did in the middle east hahaha keep this alive and join this cause
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
"...Subaru won't break down sales of STIs from Imprezas, so we don't know. I would have to say it probably isn't stellar."
Where I was going, is Subaru outselling Mitsu?...and if so, then why?...both offer AWD platforms in varying performance packages and have similar levels of finish...if Subaru is outselling , then it would appear either customer service, dealership issues or both R the cause for the difference since both perform and R priced relatively equally. ...if true, then it really doesn't matter what sells, EV or whatever, they are not going to improve their car sales figures.

Later, Ken
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

the whole point of killing the evo is to change the image of the company.. I seriously think there's nothing to do with Evo being a best seller/profitable at all...
do you expect Nissan to make ****load of money from the GTR?

Subaru is outselling because consumers have confident in their brand based on the rest of the line up. I'm sure ppl are more confident in Forester than in Outlander. its just a fact...
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by initial_d2k
the whole point of killing the evo is to change the image of the company.. I seriously think there's nothing to do with Evo being a best seller/profitable at all...

Subaru is outselling because consumers have confident in their brand based on the rest of the line up. I'm sure ppl are more confident in Forester than in Outlander. its just a fact...

I think what alot of people are getting at here but haven't really come out and said it, is that having a NICHE HALO vehicle showcases the amount of technical knowhow and engineering level of the company providing it.. all the $$$ R&D put into the evo can realistically trikle down to every model in their lineup EV or otherwise.. By mitsubishi saying that they aren't making money off the car, they are basically saying they are going to dump basically 20+years of technical knowhow to start from scratch and become this "ECO" brand..

Not smart, They are putting all their egs in a basket and i hope it works out for them from a business standpoint but as far as them RIDING the sucess of their previous championship racing past... its not going to work, it doesn't work for honda, and its not going to work for mitsu either
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

First off, is changing to EV direction for image, yes but that is secondary to their desire to increase sales.
Second, why R ppl more confident in Subarus than ? I used to have a DSM and beat the hell out of it and still got >250Kmi out it...and no problems with EVO.
So assuming U R correct Subaru outsells , is it because of factors (dealership, service,etc.) other than the car itself? If true, then this switch to EV and more fuel economy is not going to change anything...In short, dumping the EVO and its performance badge is going to accomplish nothing...in fact, I could argue , it could get worse for .

Later, Ken
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Where I was going, is Subaru outselling Mitsu?...and if so, then why?...both offer AWD platforms in varying performance packages and have similar levels of finish...if Subaru is outselling , then it would appear either customer service, dealership issues or both R the cause for the difference since both perform and R priced relatively equally. ...if true, then it really doesn't matter what sells, EV or whatever, they are not going to improve their car sales figures.
Subaru outsold Mitsubishi 3 to 1 last month. They do it because they have a reputation for offering AWD standard in every vehicle they make, and that they are affordable and reliable. Where I live you will probably see 5 maybe even 10 Mitsubishis for every one Subaru, but that's because it doesn't snow down here very often and there aren't enough college professors who don't drive SAABs or lesbians to go around - everybody else with one is a tuner with a WRX. But up in the north, like say Denver- Subarus are extremely popular.

You might say Subaru's market strategy is what got them where they are, but it has pretty much capped them at about 275,000 units a year (which is incidentally just above where Mitsubishi wants to be) because not every one needs AWD, some people want better fuel economy and the boxer design MIGHT be a turn off for some - and because Honda and Toyota own the mainstream for import buyers. So Mitsubishi gets the bright idea that they need a market strategy - they need to be KNOWN for something, and they decide it to be EVs, hybrids - good gas mileage vehicles. Considering the way fuel prices are going, this might not be a bad idea.

If they start selling more cars and offering a good alternatives to what is out there, people will seek them out. Just like people think we are weird for talking about turbos and lowering springs and GTR face wheels all day, there are just as many geeky nerds out there who get off on hypermiling, regenerative braking systems and plug in chargers. The Leaf launch has been a joke. Nissan promised so many pre-orders and has so far been unable to deliver -meanwhile the Volt is selling around 200+ a month which is the maximum amount they can pump out. The Mitsubishi i will be just the third vehicle in an entire market that can not get enough. A market that has people standing by RIGHT NOW with money in hand READY TO GO. The Evo can not say the same.

I don't but then Carlos Goshn promised that it wouldn't lose money - that it wasn't "allowed" to. I think the short sales of the car will prove him to be wrong and they'll have to pull it eventually. The difference is, Nissan can afford to fund a vanity project - much like Toyota can afford the vast loser (revenue wise) that is the LFA. Mitsubishi can not. The only reason they are still in business is because Mitsubishi Heavy and Mitsubishi Corp and the Mitsubishi Bank of Tokyo keep them afloat and they are vastly profitable entities.

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 4, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 03:23 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Where I was going, is Subaru outselling Mitsu?
As GPTourer said, its about 3 to 1 with total numbers and the same 3 to 1 when comparing the entire Impreza line vs the entire Lancer line. It would be interesting to see how many of those Imprezas are WRX/STI's.

Subaru Feb '11
Forester 6,334
Impreza 3,933
Legacy 3,242
Outback 7,951
Tribeca 223

Total 21,683

MITSUBISHI MOTORS FEBRUARY 2011 SALES
ECLIPSE COUPE 148
ECLIPSE SPYDER
GALANT
LANCER 964
LANCER EVOLUTION 165
LANCER SPORTBACK 120
OUTLANDER
OUTLANDER SPORT 1290
ENDEAVOR 190

TOTAL 6,893

FYI: Kia sold 6,684 Souls in February, almost as many units as the entire Mitsu lineup.

Last edited by slt; Mar 4, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Living in Vermont, Subaru vastly outsells Mitsu here. Obviously the full AWD lineup is a big advantage given the climate, but they also advertise substantially more. It is unusual to watch TV for 30 minutes without seeing at least one subaru commercial, where it is a very rare occurrence to see a Mitsu one. I've owned several Mitsus and Subarus and my personal experience with reliability is about the same (both very good), but Subaru is known for it. I've never understood why Mitsu advertises so little...but maybe that is only in the northeast.
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 04:58 PM

well mitsubishi has been stop making real evos since 2006-2007, so this doesnt really affect me loll
Old Mar 4, 2011 | 05:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvoPauly
well mitsubishi has been stop making real evos since 2006-2007, so this doesnt really affect me loll
lol i agree

they should come back with a simple raw Evo like the 8s with a nice 4G63 and leave up the modding to me,. they already have the design/drawing the R&D is done all needs to be done is maybe take out stuff like ACD, expensive seats ect... , i dont think an AWD car with a 4G63 at this point would cost more than 25,000K and i am sure they would sell them like cakes "maybe"

You know for the sake of this community 'EVO' the evo is a great thing the trickle down effect of aftermarket part, you know all the companies that make parts for the evo, and tune install.

it would be a good idea to run some metrics and show corp how much they actually impact a small part of the economy just by selling these cars stock and then all the aftermarket that goes on afterwords.

Quick Reply: Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more