Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kern6972
if the evo does disapear, they will replace it with something better..trust me
true. i could always trade in my stock 2011 RA to get something better. note... not paid off yet. so we'll see. if i see something extremely quick/fast/turbo/awd/ and high mileage to the gallon, then there are songs that the rats will gladly follow depending on if the pied piper is good enough
Old May 25, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by diablo1
for me, the soul of the evo is in the sound of the engine and particularly the turbo!!!

I'm not a fan of electric vehicles.
yeah, electric cars start sounding like hondas with their . meeeeeeeeeee sound.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I wonder if all the sentimental flyboys said these things about their propeller based planes when people started outfitting them with jet propulsion. I'm all for advancement in the right direction as long as it improves aspects of the car without suffering in the performance area. If I wanted to hear an engine, I would have bought a mustang. I wanted performance, which is why I'm in an evo.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
I wonder if all the sentimental flyboys said these things about their propeller based planes when people started outfitting them with jet propulsion. I'm all for advancement in the right direction as long as it improves aspects of the car without suffering in the performance area. If I wanted to hear an engine, I would have bought a mustang. I wanted performance, which is why I'm in an evo.
The difference between a prop-plane and a jet plane and a electric car and a ICE car is that both a prop-plane and jet plane can be refilled in 10minutes after flying for several hours, while an the same cannot be said for an electric car (8-hour charge) and an ICE car. A jet engine does EVERYTHING better than a Prop-engined plane. The same cannot be said for an electric car.

I'd bet you'd barely get an hour of hooning around a track in an Evo Electric, let alone be able to drive it home without an 8-hour recharge.
The difference between the Tesla and the Elise (which the Tesla is based on) is that you can drive the Elise home after you get done at the track.

Don't tell people something is a more advanced technology when it doesn't even come close to meeting the capabilities of the current technology.
Old May 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jodark
The difference between a prop-plane and a jet plane and a electric car and a ICE car is that both a prop-plane and jet plane can be refilled in 10minutes after flying for several hours, while an the same cannot be said for an electric car (8-hour charge) and an ICE car. A jet engine does EVERYTHING better than a Prop-engined plane. The same cannot be said for an electric car.

I'd bet you'd barely get an hour of hooning around a track in an Evo Electric, let alone be able to drive it home without an 8-hour recharge.
The difference between the Tesla and the Elise (which the Tesla is based on) is that you can drive the Elise home after you get done at the track.

Don't tell people something is a more advanced technology when it doesn't even come close to meeting the capabilities of the current technology.
The advancement in battery technology over the last 5 years has been astronomical. The batteries we use in our machinery from that time period required an 8 hour charge time, coupled with an 8 hour cool down time. The same machinery today requires a 4 hour charge time and no cool down time due to high capacity charging with temperature monitored cooling. There are also now trickle charging capabilities for units we run that don't even require plug in, they just sit over the stations. 5 years ago both of those things were not even thought of in our environment, and where they were available they ran 10 times the current cost. Is it reasonable to believe there will be significant advances in the capabilities of ev's over the next 3-4 years? I believe so. The tesla has been out a couple years already, and they don't have the R&D resources that Mitsubishi does. I personally believe the advancements they are capable of will be astonishing, just as they have been over the past 5 years.

Don't tell people something isn't going to be as capable as current technology when you assume the very first car of it's kind is going to be the pinnacle of advancement in ev's.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

The advancement in battery technology over the last 5 years has been astronomical. The batteries we use in our machinery from that time period required an 8 hour charge time, coupled with an 8 hour cool down time. The same machinery today requires a 4 hour charge time and no cool down time due to high capacity charging with temperature monitored cooling. There are also now trickle charging capabilities for units we run that don't even require plug in, they just sit over the stations. 5 years ago both of those things were not even thought of in our environment, and where they were available they ran 10 times the current cost. Is it reasonable to believe there will be significant advances in the capabilities of ev's over the next 3-4 years? I believe so. The tesla has been out a couple years already, and they don't have the R&D resources that Mitsubishi does. I personally believe the advancements they are capable of will be astonishing, just as they have been over the past 5 years.

Don't tell people something isn't going to be as capable as current technology when you assume the very first car of it's kind is going to be the pinnacle of advancement in ev's.

Well said sir
Old May 26, 2011, 11:42 AM

Yeah I can't see the EVO being replaced by Mitsubihi's version of the Prius. Have faith peeps.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:11 PM

The developement of batteries is going at such an accelerated rate right now because it was only recently that this much man and computing power has been applied to researching it with our technology. We basically have the ability to develop any technology we discover at an incredible rate, until we hit the physical limits of it. If we have today's technical development ability and had only recently invented the ICE, we'd litterally jump 60-70 years in development cycles with older engineering in 4-5 years. That is why you are seeing these massive generational jumps in battery tech right now.

The physical fact is that you cannot transfer electrical energy at the rate you can gasoline (which is energy stored in chemical form and the chemical is being transfered, whereas you are transfering the actual energy by charging the battery) without generating a lot of heat somewhere along the line.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i hope Mitsu does make a fast electric car but dont call it an evo. dont use the evo name because of its popularity and hope people will buy . just look what happened to the eclipse!!
Old May 26, 2011, 12:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
They can slap an evo badge on a prius, its still a prius lol

To me, your taking away from the evo once you start to go "green" with it.
To me the evo stopped being an evo when they went with the 4B11 engine Evo X.
The evo was born and gainned its name with the 4G63 engine, the evo evolved all the way from Evo 1 through Evo IX but it carried the 4G63 powerplant for over 20 years making it one of the most powerfull and reliable 4 cyl engines out there.

Yes technologies change and evolve to better serve, but why take away a powerplant that most of us liked and enjoyed working on, after all is mainly about the Market and the market in this case is us evolutionm.net members and all the others that owe evo's.

The green push is forcing companies to move towards "enviromental" friendly cars, KEYWORD "cars" because the process to make most of those parts in those green cars will be mostlikely as enviromentally destructive as they can be, most manufacturerd in China or onther countries where their concern for enviroment is not as near as it is here in the US therfore allowing them to offer a very cheap product and allowing the integrator in this case mitsubuishi to turn a huge profit, it is all about the shareholders and the money they expect a company to bring in so this is why is so important to manufacture cheap and turn huge proffit margins.

Mitsu has the drawings they have had them for 20 + yrs for the 4G63, launch a car that is marketable like the old RS, 4G63 engine,,, we can care less if it looks like a X, IX, or 8 even if it looks like a Prius or corolla, it must have the old proven parts and then lets the rest up to the imagination of the onwer at the end of the day these will be modified anyways, with technology there is no doubt the 4G63 could have 35+ MPG
Old May 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by twabtoxer
i hope Mitsu does make a fast electric car but dont call it an evo. dont use the evo name because of its popularity and hope people will buy . just look what happened to the eclipse!!
Mitsu needs to stop listening to the government and their regulators, and need to lean their ears to their Markets mitsu's market being us you and me and all the folks who have Lancer Evolutions

You see this is the beauty of free markets, and when you have the government dipping their hands in everything this is what you get, scared companies leasing the Fed's and not the Markets.
Old May 26, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
Mitsu needs to stop listening to the government and their regulators, and need to lean their ears to their Markets mitsu's market being us you and me and all the folks who have Lancer Evolutions

You see this is the beauty of free markets, and when you have the government dipping their hands in everything this is what you get, scared companies leasing the Fed's and not the Markets.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by H Jensen
Gas is only as finite as the media, and oil companies says it is. There is more oil in the mid west than twice that of Saudi Arabia. Get your facts straight.
Not to derail, but this is the first time I've ever heard of this. Can you cite this?
Old May 27, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blue4uevo8
The Porsche's will run between $70k and $100k but are based on a $70k car and require days to complete manufacture, hence the 70k + price. The new evo could be based on a $13k colt platform with another $20k in upgrades AND be produced in hours not days. We know that mitsu would use lower quality interior plastics and switch gear than the porsche as well as lower spec tech. It wouldn't need to be a $40k+ car.
I agree with this statement but as with every other Evo produced it was a loss of profit. It is a image maker that brings traffic in. Just like the "i" that will be out next year. It is more an image for and not a money maker. is going for a green image and what better way to represent this than with an EV car. It's just like spending advertisement on commercials. It costs money up front but it brings business in. They may loose money with everyone sold but the cost may be less than your speculation. That's saying it will even be produced.
Old May 27, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Rally is a sport that won't ever die,...

NUFF SAID

Quick Reply: Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more