Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me edit that post haha Im excited for it, BUT I know they will do something, they wont just adjust it all because they make MONEY off the Lancer and the Lancer Evo.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 01:36 PM

looks like a nissan leaf lol
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:50 PM

Very different but I like it!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:42 AM

Next evo is pretty much going to be in name only. Like in the 70s with the Mustang II..... ya sure you can CALL that trash pile a mustang go ahead but in the end its a slow piece of junk that has nothing to do with in style, handling, or power in what any person who would want a mustang would come to expect.

If an Evo XI comes out and it follows the Mitsubishi's new ideal of high mpg electric cars almost nobody here will be interested in it. Also Some people say they "make money off the Evo" which is silly since I only ever see their dealership closing and the ones that are not no longer sell Evos. Sure they can make money but its clearly not enough and they have almost 0 interest in the car it seems.

If they want fuel economy idk why they don't just go the 1.6 turbo route, that way they can compete in the WRC again as well. Subaru is doing it..... also we may see a Mini sometime in the future to compete in this class of cars.

Also if the Evo goes away i'm sure another company will release a STI competator. There is always talk of this Suzuki Kizashi getting an AWD turbo and a concept was built and its a crtically acclaimed car in current form, a future italian based SRT-4 could come with AWD, or something else could surprise it. Evo going away totally or an "in name only" model opens up sales for another company.

Last edited by Kanaric; Oct 13, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^ Mitsubishi will have to take a different approach to tuning their engines. A lot of other manufacturers have released their own 2.0T engines that make pretty solid power but while still getting good mpg (especially highway) while not weighing significantly less than the Evo.

For example, the Sonata Turbo still has 274 hp and 269 lb-ft, weighs between 3300-3400 pounds but is rated at 23 city/34 highway mpg. But yes, the Evo is tuned to have more power and torque (along with a better top end), weighs 100-200 pounds more and has two extra driving wheels that drink more fuel... but there's still a big difference, as the Evo is rated at 22 highway mpg, or something like that.

Even the new BMW 2.0T is going to be nice... sure, it's the bottom-feeder engine for the smaller cars, but it has 240 hp and 260 lb-ft while probably seeing 30+ highway mpg, though that will be paired with either a six-speed manual or an eight-speed auto.

Mitsubishi has to focus on meeting the CAFE requirements, so it's hard to imagine a 300+ hp stock Evo, when we're seeing lesser but still powerful 2.0Ts on the market that make the CAFE requirements look attainable.

Going with a diesel helps, but I'm not sure if the development costs will make it worth it, since tuning a 2.0T for a bit more lower end torque (like a lot of the other 2.0Ts on the market now) will get a similar power delivery but better top end while more than likely still yielding better mpg.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:06 PM

I purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0L Turbo to commute in and save miles on my Evo. As stated in the above post the car weighs 3300-3400 lbs and at 90 mph I'm getting 27 mpg. If I was to drive a more realistic 70-75 mph my mpg's would be up near 33-34 mpg. The technology is there as the years go on.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:18 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see Mitsubishi embrace the relatively recent changes in WRC and offer a 1.6L turbocharged, AWD Colt (or some other tiny sh!tbox) as the new Evolution. Think of the possibilities: ~200whp with a tune and breathing mods, 2600-2800lbs, a proven AWD system all in a car the size of a peanut with the tossability to match. That's something I would buy and how! The current Evolution platform is difficult to justify in light of its competition.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

No I think they will go the same direction as the domestic market and EDM is with their sports cars. Increased displacement, more power, and the continued disappearance of "entry level."

With many sports cars these days, they are less and less "bare bone." It would not surprise me to see it as a 2.5 liter or bigger should it remain a 4 cylinder. What I hope to happen is that is goes to at least a 3.0 liter 6 cylinder to keep it in direct competition with the S4.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:31 PM

Hey look...It's an alien space ship gone wrong!!! FAIL!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:01 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thebluesky
With many sports cars these days, they are less and less "bare bone." It would not surprise me to see it as a 2.5 liter or bigger should it remain a 4 cylinder. What I hope to happen is that is goes to at least a 3.0 liter 6 cylinder to keep it in direct competition with the S4.
This is kinda what Mitsubishi tried doing with the X. They positioned the car along side sport-luxury offerings, alienated its core market, and attracted a comparative buyer who shopped features in lieu of a platform. This killed the Evolution's standing as a singular entity in the marketplace. There was literally nothing anywhere near hilarious money that matched the dynamics of the car and they (ie. Mitsu) buried the idea and for what? It's as if they had a change in leadership and a graduate from the Marzipan School of Business now runs the division.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
For example, the Sonata Turbo still has 274 hp and 269 lb-ft, weighs between 3300-3400 pounds but is rated at 23 city/34 highway mpg. But yes, the Evo is tuned to have more power and torque (along with a better top end), weighs 100-200 pounds more and has two extra driving wheels that drink more fuel... but there's still a big difference, as the Evo is rated at 22 highway mpg, or something like that.
Big factor is that Hyundai went with direct injection with their version of the GEMA engine.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
Personally, I'd like to see Mitsubishi embrace the relatively recent changes in WRC and offer a 1.6L turbocharged, AWD Colt (or some other tiny sh!tbox) as the new Evolution. Think of the possibilities: ~200whp with a tune and breathing mods, 2600-2800lbs, a proven AWD system all in a car the size of a peanut with the tossability to match. That's something I would buy and how! The current Evolution platform is difficult to justify in light of its competition.
+1

I'd buy one. My Evo IX could be smaller for all I care. I'd enjoy the lighter weight and enhanced "tossability" a smaller car provides. Not to mention even better fuel economy without sacrificing performance.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by C130flyer
it looks like a civic baaarrfffff....
Wow it kind of does
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so sad to heard this !!!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:32 PM

Mitsu. Please don't.

Quick Reply: Confirmed by Mitsubishi high offical: Lancer Evolution is no more