Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Mitsubishi develops a new engine platform (4J10)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow... if the XI looks like the on on that link I might have to get one!!!
that looks great!

And 1.8? comeon, leave that mess to the Vdubs.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

That 1.8L is for the Global Small Car isn't it? or was that a 1.2L they were talking about for the GSC (aka "Colt...

And about all the other stuff Mitsu's said about the next Evo which might be a 1.8L turbocharged with front-mounted (or was it rear-mounted) electric engines to each wheels and what not...

I'm sure I've read somewhere they were planning such configuration

Anyhow, I love the news thanks Evosoul; this shows Mitsu is at least doing something other than letting their cars rust for a decade before improving their technology once more... Mitsu has sold 70k cars year-to-date... More money means more development, means there still hope for us and the Evo

Someone from MMNA also said (I think I read at MT) that the Eclipse might be revived soon... Concept RA, lightweight, 1.8L turbo anyone?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Good info! Glad to see Mitsu progressing, but it seems like they're progressing away from Evo's. It's hard enough nowadays to get a manual AWD car and I know for a fact that even Subaru is looking into auto Sti's which by the way they already have in other parts of the world but it's just your regular auto box which sucks. If nissan had a manual R35, I'd be breaking the bank to get my hands on one, but after owning a MR, the technology is all there, but in the process, they've removed the human fun factor.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
Nissan corporate is right around the corner from me. I like the GT-R, but the rest is pwned by platform sharing and kinda snorefest.

I'm holding out hope for a good Evo XI!
That's an understatement lol. Everything Nissan makes has a ****in VQ35 it seems lol.

Also I don't see how turning a car off at a stop sign and then having to turn it right back on saves fuel.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:25 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
I was wondering whether mitsubishi is still partnering with mercedes benz or producing their smaller engines, because the new 2012 C250 is a 1.8L turbo?
Didn't mitsu develope a new engine back in 08 with chrysler and kia/hyundai? In that case, the daimler-chrysler relationship lasted into something like 09.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xi
Didn't mitsu develope a new engine back in 08 with chrysler and kia/hyundai? In that case, the daimler-chrysler relationship lasted into something like 09.
I am doing a full write up on that for my blog in the next couple of days. But yes, Mitsu joined forces with Dodge and Hyundai. And yes, Dodge played a part of throwing the whole thing under a bus when they started making plans with Fiat. They ended up buying out Mitsubishi and Hyundai out of the Engine development and going it alone to design further engines for Fiat.

For Mitsubishi it left a bad taste in their mouth. And Hyundai had the most to gain, because at least they got insight into the 4B1X platform. To put this into perspective. The companies didnt exactly share technology. Just standardize a engine block design. The technology remains the property of teach company who participated.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I knew that they had development going on, but no one could tell me straight up if it would be fleet wide or small implimentation. The fact that they are crossing it in to the SUV's tells me that it is going to be fleet wide.

This doesnt mean the end of 4B1XT development as people have been worried about. A few big Japanese aftermarket vendors have kindly expressed their vested interest in the 4B11T platform to Mitsubishi. And the fact that they spent Millions developing it, I personally dont think it will be something swept away that easily.

But I think this is still good news to confirm that Mitsubishi is still marching consistently in one direction. Part of the problem Mitsu has had lately is that no one. (aftermarket or end user) have any idea what is going to happen to the cars they love to drive, develop for, or MODIFY.

Once the Mitsu road map is laid out, then we will get another wave of growth.

(fingers crossed)
A couple of things: First of all, Nissan/Infiniti plans on using Mercedes engines in the future, which saddens me. I had a brand new '03 G35 and fell in love with the VQ35 engine. So, I don't see Nissan sharing technology with Mitsubishi. Secondly, I believe the 4B11T engine is a dead duck. With Mitsubishi moving on with a hybrid engine for the next Evo [Some say a diesel], there really is no place for this engine in the Mitsubishi lineup. Where would they use a 2.0 liter turbo engine? It really looks like only Hyundai/Kia will soldier on with the engine design, which is really too bad as the 4B11T replaced the 4G63 and was supposed to be better on emissions.

I really wish that Mitsubishi would have carried on the Evo theme with a 4B11T that had lower emissions and better fuel economy. Sadly, it appears that Mitsubishi has caved into the greens/environmentalists. I read recently where cars are not that popular anymore in Japan. Even Honda has stopped the almighty Civic Type R. Not sure where Subaru is going, but I would not be surprised to see them sharing technology with Toyota and use more hybrids. That leaves Nissan with the 370Z and GT-R. How long they can persevere is anyone's guess, but I would surprised if those platforms are around in 5 years in their present state.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I get that, and really appreciate you giving us the info!

What makes me sad as an Evo guy is that all of us (this forum) are kind of a red headed stepchild. A high number of Evo guys have anti-green behaviors- They run catless, they install larger turbos that require more fuel, etc.

The things we prize about these cars are changing drastically. The new engine is SOHC, auto stop and go, more lightweight, more compact. Read: Slow.

Mitsubishi is kowtowing to CAFE and will alienate it's redheaded stepchild in the process unless they can pull a rabbit out of their hats.
Thank you thank you !

Yes Seth, issue is mitsu is not listening to the markets but instead is insisting in listening to the government,, I sure hope the gov buys plenty of these new green cars because I sure won't.

This small nitch market is crying out loud for a raw evo like the good 4G63 usto be
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

*Sigh*
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Thank you thank you !

Yes Seth, issue is mitsu is not listening to the markets but instead is insisting in listening to the government,, I sure hope the gov buys plenty of these new green cars because I sure won't.

This small nitch market is crying out loud for a raw evo like the good 4G63 usto be
Yes, the niche market is crying out for a raw Evo. As much as I love my Evo X, the Evo VIII/IX platform is a much better size. Nissan at least got it right with the 370Z when they shortened the wheelbase and length and dropped some weight, all of which improved performance.

My dream Evo would be something the size of an Evo IX or even slightly smaller, with a weight reduction of 100-200 pounds. Then, I would love to see an aluminum, closed deck block. Add in direct injection and more boost and you would have a killer Evo. Sadly, it will never happen.

The "new" technology is being forced upon us come hell or high water. Truth be told, the powers to be don't even like people having individualized transportation. The vision of many of these people is for mass, public transportation. Where I live in Minnesota, they are going full speed ahead with light rail even though it is a total bust. Ridership is ridiculously low, yet they are adding more lines and corridors. Controlling transportation is one more step in controlling people.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:05 AM

very interested caint wait
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:59 PM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Start/stop? Dooooooo NOT want.

That's always seemed more like a gimmick than an actual solution to me.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsu, show us the Direct-Injected 4B11T plz!!! Our X needs more power and better fuel economy!!!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu is one of the very first who developed the Direct-inject Engine Technology of the industry, why everyone else have their DJ engines on the market, but Mitsu has NONE!!?? What are u THINKING!!???
...SAD~
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by odin
Mitsu, show us the Direct-Injected 4B11T plz!!! Our X needs more power and better fuel economy!!!
Mitsubishi Can't they are no longer developing the 4B1X platform due to the decision of Dodge/Chrysler to end the world engine alliance. This has somewhat undermined the whole platform. This is why Hyundai has already moved forward with their own engine platform. 4B1X was more of a learning experience for them.

Mitsubishi didnt really gain much from the collaboration.