Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

EVO MR released in 3rd week of SEPTEMBER!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^you couldn't get it registered or drive it legally on the street. you'd only be able to drive it on the track and you'd have to fricking trailor it just to get it to the track. and if you broke something you'd be screwed. no skilled mechanicas, no spare parts, and definitely no warranty. plus, you'd have a RHD car. overall, no thanks

Last edited by Tanner_Hall; Aug 4, 2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

i don't know if that is true. I saw last week a London cab on the hutch (a parkway in new york - a highway that goes from westchester county to the bronx).
Old Aug 4, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
^^^you couldn't get it registered or drive it legally on the street. you'd only be able to drive it on the track and you'd have to fricking trailor it just to get it to the track. and if you broke something you'd be screwed. no skilled mechanicas, no spare parts, and definitely no warranty. plus, you'd have a RHD car. overall, no thanks
Edit: I was incorrect. I was totally unaware a Skyline could be legalized and registered, along with many other cars, but that the JDM evo was a car that could not be.

People on this board are still waiting after two years? Screw that.

Last edited by bashemgud33; Aug 4, 2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

You don't know what you are talking about. A guy in my area has a RHD import Skyline GTR-33. Not only can he get parts, but it's street legal too! He didn't get it for the warranty, and should he ever want to track it, he would just drive it there. And yes it's registered. Think before you post.

No, YOU are wrong. A Skyline can be legalized and registered. A J-spec Evo CAN'T. Just do a search for Evolution Imports and you will see why. Euro/Jap Evo's have never been crash tested, etc.
There are several members on this board that went through about a two year wait while EI tried to get the Evo VII's they purchased legalized. So far it hasn't happened.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

JDM/Euro EVO's Crash test, BS

First off that is complete BS about the JDM/ Euro Evo's never being crash tested.
(Broeli Do you even realize what you just typed?)
All cars including The Evo's get crash tested, otherwise they would never be legal anywhere, except maybe India or some third world country.
(Broeli Do you even realize how stupid you just sounded with that dumb comment.)
The Japanese engineers are not stupid, they know how to design & build cars, the same with the Germans, you see Audi's, BMW's, VW's, all over the place they have strict rules and regulations they have to follow too, after all they do have the Autobahn. (no crash tests if that was the case then the JDM/Euro Evo's wouldn't even have airbags, seatbelt tensioners, ABS and so on, man how stupid can you be with only one head, Look at all the interior pictures of UK / Euro / Australia spec MR's and other Evo's including the VII etc do they not have airbags?) now tell me they aren't crash tested.
check out this, it looks like an Evo VII to me, unless they put EVO VII rims on USDM Evo, the main article is refering to the USDM EVO VIII but that crash test pic looks like a VII
https://www.evolutionm.net/features/article/lanevo/20/6

Also the quote from the bottom of the above link page
The front and rear color keyed bumpers have been upgraded to meet NHTSA requirements. These bumpers are supported with additional metal structure not found beneath the bumper of the Japanese domestic model Lancer Evolution.
it doesn't say anything about Euro and it doesn't specify which EVO model.
So what is stopping anyone from aquiring and installing these extra supports to make it NHTSA complient.
I know it is next to impossible to install the supports on an Evo VII cause of the size of the bumper, which is one of the main reason why Mitsu redesigned the front for the EVO VIII to make it compliant with the different countries Regulations,
I am sure that is all it would require to make it legal and an adjustment to the emissions controls.
Besides a few guys have already changed the front bumpers to a different companies, ie Gialla, Damd and so on, are these different types of aftermarket bumpers even legal, do they have the extra support.

So Secondly if you have the money anything is possible, Evolution Imports has a couple of versions of the VIII available
US street Legal LHD JDM EVO VIII costs around $37,000
That includes SAYC, ACD, Auto Climate, Real Recaro's, (not the fat *** american ones) 6 speed Yada, yada, yada.

That is an excellent deal, Do the maths conversion on 33,000 british pounds for the EVO VIII MR FQ 340, and you'll see what I am talking about, but take into consideration that what you see as the price for the UK MR FQ 340 is what you pay, Tax, tag and title all ready included (UK V.A.T. = 17.5%)
so remove all those fees and tax and you'll see what the real cost of the MR FQ 340 is, approx 26,000 British pounds, now convert that to US dollars, that = approx $50,000 being as the exchange rate is so crap right now.

They also quoted JDM spec MR for $39,000 but I am sure that, that is a non legal version and a US legal LHD JDM MR would probably cost $44,000 which when you do the maths is a good deal also.
That way all you whinney Bi tches, would have Black Headlights, Black Taillights and so on,
The problem comes about with Warranty, and Scheduled maintenance I believe it is only 1 Year, with the option to extend it to 3 years.

Everyone who has complained about the US MR and what the expected cost will be, can't Bi tch for what they are going to be getting when it is finally released, even in the watered down form it will be well worth the money.
it just goes to show you guys are not willing to pay for stuff, That is why Mitsu are making the watered down stuff for the US market, because the Laws and regulations are so strict, and none of you want to pay $50,000 for a Mitsubishi

I have heard guys saying this on this forum before now.
"what, don't they (japan / Mitsu) think we can afford it"
the truth is no you do not want to pay $50,000
"a Mitsubishi costing $50,000 that is daylight robbery, are they high or something, I would never pay that for a Mitsubishi".
Well I personally don't see where that is unreasonable, this vehicle can give most vehicles a run for it's money, Including Porsche, Ferrarri and so on and is only a third of the cost of these exotic's.
and before anyone corrects me, I know a ferrari will **** all over an EVO on a straight road, but It won't be far behind.
What the Evo will loose on the straights it will make up for in the corners.

But that is the truth if you want something you have to pay for it, and you have to blame your government for the strict Regulations on imported cars.
also some of you are quick enough in turning around and saying America is the richest nation in the world, but you expect s hit for nothing.
Most of you guys do not realise how lucky you are to be able to afford this type of vehicle.
the UK has astronomical fuel costs, pays out the *** in Taxes, and the Insurance that is on a whole, another story, you youngsters would never be able to have an EVO, I'm talking same insurance bracket as Lambo's, Ferrari's (Group 20) 27 years of age is the minimum most Insurance companies will insure on a vehicle like this now.

Don't complain about what you're getting, when you have only got your selves to blame for the stuff coming over here.
If you don't like the US MR specs then don't buy it, There are plenty of deserving people out there who want this type of vehicle, don't spoil it for them.

Last edited by Samdiver74; Aug 5, 2004 at 08:34 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

This is slightly off topic but what rating does the EVO/MR/RS/Other lancers get for crash tests? I looked around and cant find it
Old Aug 5, 2004, 09:05 AM

Anyone put down money yet on an MR and how much is the dealerships asking for them?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bashemgud33
Edit: I was incorrect. I was totally unaware a Skyline could be legalized and registered, along with many other cars, but that the JDM evo was a car that could not be.

People on this board are still waiting after two years? Screw that.
maybe YOU should "think before you post".

edit: oh and samdiver, he was obviously saying that a JDM evo hadn't been crash and emmissions tested to US standards.

Last edited by Tanner_Hall; Aug 5, 2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

There is a lot of *** cheek flapping going on in this thread. I only have time to address 2 specific points from Sams thread.

Calling people names is against site policy. You will not retain membership here for long if you continue telling people they are stupid or that they are whiney b1tches. So cut it out, or be banned. Choose one.

The crash testing broeli is talking about is the NHTSA Federal crash test. NHTSA requires cars marketed in the US be crash tested, IN THE US, and evaluated for crash worthyness based upon that US data. Crash testing in other countries may or may not occur. And if it does occur, they are done to that countrys specific standard. So the data gathered during that exercise is useless to the NHTSA. And cars marketed eleswhere in the world where crash testing does occur are not automatically passed through US regs because they passed the test in the EU.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 08:34 PM
cmf

Originally Posted by Sentinal
This is slightly off topic but what rating does the EVO/MR/RS/Other lancers get for crash tests? I looked around and cant find it
Consumer Reports says the Evo is "Good" (best) for driver and passenger front impact, "Good" for driver side impact, and "Poor" for passenger side impact.

Translation: only single people, or married people who hate their spouses, should be buying this car.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
how can it be good for one side and bad on the other?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
how can it be good for one side and bad on the other?
In short, because Consumer Reports has no idea what they are doing. These are the same people who flipped a Montero, but Car and Driver doing the same test at higher speed could not come close. Unfortunately, they rarely come up with the same info as other independent sources. Just remember that there are a number of different ways to crash test NHTSA vs Insurance institute for example. Depending on which you believe a car may be very good or very bad.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

yes i quoted MSRP....and noone came in on it...i sold 2 at msrp and the other 2 at$2000 over. the ones i sold $2000 over were customers hoppin to mitsu to mitsu in da tristate area...and all other quoted $5000 grand over. The person from california called me to sell it to him here and pick it up at a mitsu near him...i started laughin because no dealer will give it up....plus da cali placed asked him for $7000 over
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Thats why I will not be buying in the tri-state.
Ill fly down south or something to get it. Whoever gets me the best deal.
$120 plan ticket, drive back home to break it in > 2k+ over MSRP.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skut
hey does anyone has a picture of the MR

**** - where the hell have you been the last 4 mths?! the North pole?!

Anyway, the MR looks essentially the same as Evo 8, with dark Evo 7 wheels

PS: Don't let TannerHall see your newbie question it will freak him out!!!

Quick Reply: EVO MR released in 3rd week of SEPTEMBER!!!!