Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

EVO MR released in 3rd week of SEPTEMBER!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^yikes...you're one cynical s.o.b. personally, i think the 6-spd and bilsteins alone will justify the difference in price between the gsr and MR. a well-geared 6-spd can make a big difference in straight line acceleration.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:31 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
^^^yikes...you're one cynical s.o.b. personally, i think the 6-spd and bilsteins alone will justify the difference in price between the gsr and MR. a well-geared 6-spd can make a big difference in straight line acceleration.
well yeah the 6 speed will be pretty sweet. kinda odd, though, that they are putting the larger 10.5t turbo, which will make top end power and thus spool up slower, with a short ratio 6 speed....I would have thought the 10.5t would be better with the five speed, really, and the 9.8 better with a close ratio tranny.....
keep in mind, the 10.5t turbo was on the evo5 and mitsu stopped using it for a reason...dunno
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
well yeah the 6 speed will be pretty sweet. kinda odd, though, that they are putting the larger 10.5t turbo, which will make top end power and thus spool up slower, with a short ratio 6 speed....I would have thought the 10.5t would be better with the five speed, really, and the 9.8 better with a close ratio tranny.....
keep in mind, the 10.5t turbo was on the evo5 and mitsu stopped using it for a reason...dunno
Where are the 10.5t turine housings so readily available for resonable prices?

Brian
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:51 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Where are the 10.5t turine housings so readily available for resonable prices?

Brian
I have a few of them, what do you consider reasonable? I also have titanium units, ball bearing units.......
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

very good question. and actually, i read something on MLR (i think) that mentioned more lag in the MR than the regular GSR. hope not.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
very good question. and actually, i read something on MLR (i think) that mentioned more lag in the MR than the regular GSR. hope not.
Well, think about it...10.5 cm2 vs 9.8. Which one will have more lag?

Fedja
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MrAWD
Well, think about it...10.5 cm2 vs 9.8. Which one will have more lag?

Fedja
10.5 will. I guarantee it.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 10.5 outlet turbos were used until the Evo VII. If all things were the same between the current Evo and the MR than yes the power and lag would increase. But there are some improvements to help offset the larger turbo housing.
  • The Wastgate shap has improved for better control
  • They have gone to dual boost solenoids for improved boost control
  • The cam has changed to improve spool up
I have not heard any complaints about spool up vs. the current UK VIIIs. If there are any complaints about the responsiveness of the MR please post a link.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 08:58 PM
Account Disabled

Just talked to my local Mitsu dealer, he informed me that the 6 speed tranny is not even 100% for the MR, the MR might just be a option kit that is added to the base EVO.....anyone?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Just talked to my local Mitsu dealer, he informed me that the 6 speed tranny is not even 100% for the MR, the MR might just be a option kit that is added to the base EVO.....anyone?
wrong.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by erikgj
wrong.
Hey I just know turbos.....keep in mind the whole "Urban Jungle Kit" lie that never came to be...
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds to me like the MR is pretty overpriced, especially compared to the RS. Sure ACD is cool, but I don't trust robots to do my driving for me. I can adjust throttle input/steering input to match conditions.....and as far as 10.5t housings, I can get those pretty easily and just bolt them to my existing center section of my turbo. Viola! Larger turbo! With the money I save, I can buy more crack to smoke! I think for the extra money that the MR costs, it should absolutely come with the titanium turbo found on the Euro/Jap MR/RS cars. Why are we getting screwed? I really think the extra money could be better spent on a RS and get yourself some nice rims and better struts with the extra money, and also hookers/crack, or a combination of the four. Crack/rims, hookers/crack....
Already the robots are mixing your fuel, controlling timing, boost and distributing brake force and preventing lock up. ACD does no more driving for you than the viscous coupling in the current Evo. The ACD first unlocks on turn-in then locks the center much quicker and tighter than a mechanical could on exit. The ACD is programmable with the three locking settings or through many available ACD control units. The current viscous can only respond to velocity differences and can not be changed to easily. The response profile of a viscous is pretty well determined by factory. Although the AYC has been controversial the ACD is pretty well liked by all.

Beyond all the technical musings. The name of the car is “evolution” it is made in small batches so that it can change and improve quickly. Why is the MR or any new Evo a shock to anyone? The reason the Evo is as good as it is when you bought you VIII is because the R&D that went into the 8+ versions before it. The Evo is the result of very consistent goals over many years of development. The MR being a decent advance over the VIII is good thing for all of us.

Unless the introduction of the MR magically robs all the VIIIs of 20 hp, how does it effect the enjoyment of your cars?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Hey I just know turbos.....keep in mind the whole "Urban Jungle Kit" lie that never came to be...
Yes it is all speculation now, agreed. BTW how much for the Ti impeller?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:07 PM
Account Disabled

Already the robots are mixing your fuel, controlling timing, boost and distributing brake force and preventing lock up. ACD does no more driving for you than the viscous coupling in the current Evo. The ACD first unlocks on turn-in then locks the center much quicker and tighter than a mechanical could on exit. The ACD is programmable with the three locking settings or through many available ACD control units. The current viscous can only respond to velocity differences and can not be changed to easily. The response profile of a viscous is pretty well determined by factory. Although the AYC has been controversial the ACD is pretty well liked by all.

Beyond all the technical musings. The name of the car is “evolution” it is made in small batches so that it can change and improve quickly. Why is the MR or any new Evo a shock to anyone? The reason the Evo is as good as it is when you bought you VIII is because the R&D that went into the 8+ versions before it. The Evo is the result of very consistent goals over many years of development. The MR being a decent advance over the VIII is good thing for all of us.

Unless the introduction of the MR magically robs all the VIIIs of 20 hp, how does it effect the enjoyment of your cars?
Well, in all reality it's just sour grapes. I am picking up my RS thursday, so...
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:07 PM
Account Disabled

Yes it is all speculation now, agreed. BTW how much for the Ti impeller?
PM me

Quick Reply: EVO MR released in 3rd week of SEPTEMBER!!!!