Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

MR in the New SCC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know, no Evo has ever been factory equipped with cruise control. There are lots of aftermarket options for cruise control, though. Just do a search.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

What's the big deal about cruise control. If you think Evo is a super performance car, it shouldn't have cruise control. If you think Evo is a rally replica, it shouldn't have cruise control. If you think Evo is a econobox cheap thrill car, it shouldn't have cruise control. Cruise control is for sedan, van and luxury coupe. Admit it or not, Evo MR is a high performance budget car. If I really gonna nitpick, I would rather complain about the power window, door lock, radio, etc... Why would I have to pay for something that doesn't increase performance. The flagship MR should deliver absolutely the highest performance in a minimun $ package (lowest cost, no frills, all out performance).

If the Lancer MR is marketed as a Grand tourer or luxury sedan, then the lack of cruise control would be a big issue.

If someone couldn't keep their speed on their way to the track, please learn how to drive. The problem is not the car, its the driver. I ride my bike to the track, should I complain to the bike manufacturer for the lack of cruise control? My bike can do 180 mph on the freeway and 1/4 miles in less than 11 secs. Correct me if I am wrong, isn't the idea behind cruise control is to minimize driver's leg fatique over long distance traveling?

It will be a really stupid decision for Mitubishi to put moonroof on the MR. The reason why MR has the aluminum roof in the first place is to minimize body roll. So taking away 10 lbs and add back another 40 lbs is not a win-win situation. You still end up with a heavy car due to the heavy moon roof. The MR is still going to be 30 lbs heavier than a non-moonroofed GSR. Weight saving on different area of the car makes drastic differences. The worst place to add weight on any vehicles is the very top and very bottom. Top heavy equal more roll. Bottom heavy (heavy wheels/more unsprung weight) hurts acceleration, braking, turning, less effective handling.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, Thanks for such an informative post.
I am so glad to know that offering customers different options is "a stupid decision".
Old Jun 21, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, its real stupid because the last thing you want from Mitsubishi is losing focus on their only worthwhile product. Lancer evo is a rally replica, shouldn't they keep it that way.

I like the honda CRV fold out picnic table option, toyota sienna baby bottle header, Nissan quest dvd entertainment system, Mercedes keyless smartkey system, Lotus Elise aluminum no carpet interior are all the nice options I like, so its must be really nice if mitsubishi can let me add those options to my MR.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Options are options because the buyer can choose to "opt" for them, or choose not to. Whether or not you "opt" for them is your choice. The car appeals to more people if you can choose the way you want it. If you don't feel it should have a sunroof, don't get a sunroof.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Options are sometimes not optional at all, because car dealer makes big bucks on add on items. So alot of dealers order the car with lots of useless options on it. When I bought my car, all the dealers that I've visited put $10k - $20k worth of useless options on it. Examples are $800 footwell lighting, $400 yellow seatbelts, $800 onboard computer, $1500 chromewheels, $1000 upgrade steering wheels, $6000 aerokit, etc.... So I waited 8 months for the factory to build me a car without those useless options.

BMW and Mercedes offer their moonroof as optional equipment, but you will not find a car on the lot that doesn't have one.

Since there are going to be few MR and the production run could be short. If dealers are given the oppurtunity to add options, they will definitely do so. I am sure you guys see dealers shamelessly add $1000 for lowjack, $600 uber paint protection system, $800 special window tint treatment and $1500 for chrome wheels.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by batty
How did i insult anyone if you were to spend in the mid 30s a basic EVO or STI would be a better choice. Didnt know looking at other cars in the price range was a bad idea?
Not a bad idea but it sounds like you can't make your mind up. You list different cars with different ways of making speed.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

Originally Posted by chantaiman51
Options are sometimes not optional at all, because car dealer makes big bucks on add on items. ...
Uhh. ok.. If it's an option it's an option. If it's standard it's standard. Kind of like if it's right it's right and if it's wrong it's wrong.

Would you like to wager $1000 to my pay pal account, I can stop by the Merc or BMW delaership and snap some pics of cars with optional sunroofs without them?

Options make cars more appealing to more people, If you don't understand that; Good Day.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

^^^uhh, you're missing his point, which was entirely correct: dealers order cars with more options (or install more options) to make more money. for example, my local audi dealer was installing metallic tint and clear bras on all cars then tacking an additional $500-$1000 onto the price.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

By that logic *EVERY* 03 Evo was sold with a big wing and sunroof... and Every 04 will have the leather and sunroof. Come on now...
Old Jun 22, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

true, but the MR will likely be in very high demand, which means that dealers will try to squeeze every bit of profit out of it. they know people will still buy the MR even if they add a bunch of extra crap like lojack. most dealers suck.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I guess we'll find out what kind of demand the 05 s have over the next 6-18 months..
Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

An interesting tidbit from the Raleigh Mitsu dealer, the F&I guy (who is also thier resident Evo expert) says that the MR will be an "options" package. So theoretically, if the 05 isn't changed from the 03, we should be able to buy this package and have it installed. This includes the trans, LSD and other tidbits.

Now bear in mind, this is not my info, just what the dealer told me so keep your negative comments to yourselves.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

sorry for the "negative comment" but that dealer is a moron. how are you gonna bolt an aluminum roof on to an '03? not to mention that the 6-spd is not a direct swap...
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uhm... as for dealers adding junk on, you can custom order any car, if your dealer won't do it, GO ELSEWHERE! you don't gotta buy ish from NO ONE if they don't give you what you WANT! there's a lotta dealerships across america and even if it's outta state, it's better than supporting some numbbuck that is tryinna screw you for money. as for the mr being in demand... it's not that many people will buy mr's so much so that they'll be flying off the shelves (look at the sti, it's just a specialty car with a specialty demographic target). it's the fact that the people that want them want them real damn bad. so control yourselves and stay composed, you won't have to pay more than you have to.

Quick Reply: MR in the New SCC