Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

MR is sold out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry we have 4 MR's Coming in September.

But we have not started taking deposits

If your interested let me know

Joe Hill
Santa Monica Mitsubishi

(866)-925-4444

Last edited by Clue?sion; Jul 5, 2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, and for only $10K over sticker right?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

I think I would rather drive a Prius rather than deal with Santa Monica ...
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cannonballer
I think I would rather drive a Prius rather than deal with Santa Monica ...
You sure about that? Prius's have been selling over MSRP for a bit now. They're still to ramp up production, and there's a waiting list (my boss waited a while for his). Average markup is about $2,500.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

I was under the impression that there is a limited run of 5000 MR's worldwide, and considering most countries already have them, the US would get the remaining ones...or indeed, adapt their own
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Longo Toyota in El Monte has no markup on the Prius. The wait is about 2 months.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

I was being facetious... maybe if I would have said Yugo? Besides the Prius does not get anywhere close to the advertised fuel efficiency, I would probably buy a diesel VW. The point was Santa Monica are not a good dealer, and I would not want anyone to go there without knowing that.

Last edited by Cannonballer; Jul 5, 2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chantaiman51
Some of you are very funny! You think building a car is like how McDonald make a Big Mac? Of course if there are thousand of buyer for the MR, Mitsubishi will no doubt make as many as the market can bear. But what if the demand sucks as many of you predicted. You think Mitsu can start a second production run of 5-10 cars, do you know how much it cost to start a production run of limited quantity?

Its not the end of the world without the MR. I am saying if any one want to buy the first batch of MR in California, better hurry, because I have called up many dealers in So Cal. They are either marking up the price, not taking order, or sold out. You think i am a 16 years old kid who cant wait to get my first car? This particular forum is to share info about the MR, and I am sharing the info with potential MR buyer.

In addition, can people PLEASE stop saying mod the evo 8 to outperform the MR or make it better looking than MR? This sounds stupid and nothing more than sour grape. Face it, evo MR is a toy and not practical transportation. People buy new toys just like the people who bought the original evo 8. Do you hear people say don't buy Modena, Just buy a F355 and mod it to look better than F360 and faster than F360? How about don't buy a C43, just buy a C32 to make it faster than the C43?
Your argument is not logical at all. The modena and the f355 are two completely different cars built on a different platform. While the Evo mr and the Evo 8 are two very similar cars with almost the same horsepower, torque and etc...Mr is a great car but if you're taking it to the track, the wheels are too narrow, the bilstein are not stiff enough...so why not just get a regular evo 8, toss out all the junks, upgrade and you can save yourself 3-5grand?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

The reason I went with the MR over the GSR (or the RS) is because I know the difference a driver can make regardless of equipment. If you gave me the Vishnu Evo that was at 1 Lap, and gave... Tommi Makinen an Evolution VIII MR, despite having a decent amount of track experience, I'm sure despite having a better handling, and far more powerful car, that Makinen would still win, or it'd be a close result.

And until I know that the car isn't doing what I'd like, despite all best efforts, and can actually have other more experienced drivers confirm it, the best performance gains will come from myself. After that, sure, then I'll start making modifications. By then, hopefully I'll have a dedicated daily driver, and my MR will just be my track toy.

For now, the MR just gives me a slightly better baseline to start with, and a bit of exclusivity to boot.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisterSpoot
Guessing indeed.

Right now Mitsu's sales are essentially in the toilet. In June 2003, Mitsubishi managed to push about 22,000 cars through sales. However, for June 2004 (this past month), it was a mere 12,000. It's no wonder about the new "Best-Backed Warranty" plan, is it? Sales have essentially fallen off a cliff from the 25,000 units that were being sold every month for quite a while.

Apparently the Eclipse Coupe has completely run out of steam. What was once a very good seller for Mitsu, is only selling at about 40% of last year's rate, and about only 25% of what sales were at peak. Galant sales have also seemingly fell off a cliff. Numbers for the past several months have consistently been only about 1/2 of that a year ago. Mitsu was capable of shipping nearly 10,000 of those out the door in a month, and now it seems as they're struggling to sell 4,000. SUV sales are down about 50% across the board as well.

Evo sales are have leveled off. The initial hype is over. Based on the past year of sales, I doubt they can sell much more than 4,000 of these a year. There might be a bit of a spike with the MR, but it'll only account for several hundred units. This is also why the '04s were so late -- production for the '03's exceeded 5000 units. They were looking at 1000-1500 units that weren't going to move, and it was going to take 4 - 5 months to get rid of them all.
yeah, thats what i ment, mitsu sales are suckin hard, so by me saying they might make a lot more MR's, i ment if thats the only thing theyre selling that they might considure making more of them in an attempt to try and get sales back to normal
Old Jul 5, 2004, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm wondering how they are gonna run out of an Options Package? Unless they can't produce enough 6 speeds, or maybe they don't have enough badges for the trunk lids?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I'm wondering how they are gonna run out of an Options Package? Unless they can't produce enough 6 speeds, or maybe they don't have enough badges for the trunk lids?
you are one angry and confused little man, cirrusly.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not angry or confused. Don't get off topic, or someone will close this thread.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Low production vehicles for a large manufacturer are typically done in spurts. Some cars seriously have all their production handled in 1-2 months. Occasionally, it'll be dragged on for a good portion of the year, but usually they'd rather have those folks be available in case demand for a more lucrative model increases, or for models that have seasonal trends.

They decide based on market conditions approximately how many they will produce based on what they anticipate they will sell, up to their available production capacity, or to an artifically set limit.

Suppose Mitsubishi figures they will produce 5,000 MRs worldwide. Guess how many transmissions their ordering? 5,000. Sets of struts? 5,000. Etc. If they need more (defective units, accidents, or desire to increase capacity), they're going to be ordered from the supplier. If the supplier is out, or tied up, they're going to have to wait. Dead time. Auto manufacturers don't really want dead time, since it's money lost to lack of producitvity.

So can they run out of 6-speeds? Sure can, either by bad forecasting, or by artifical means.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

i must admit that i would like to have the 6-speed equip on my 03 evo...i'm having difficulties with the 5 speed on track...

Quick Reply: MR is sold out