Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

MR is sold out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2004, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have any idea of what the msrp of the mr will be?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cannonballer
I was being facetious... maybe if I would have said Yugo? Besides the Prius does not get anywhere close to the advertised fuel efficiency, I would probably buy a diesel VW. The point was Santa Monica are not a good dealer, and I would not want anyone to go there without knowing that.
Where do you get off saying we're not a good dealer. Santa Monica was giving better deals on the 03 Evo's than any other dealer in the nation. In fact we were one of the few dealerships that had a demo on hand to take anyone for a test drive. Plus were the #1 dealership in SoCal and #3 in the nation. We must be doing something right. Sorry we couldn't sell you your evo $5000 below invoice or give you a life time of free oil changes. Be a little considerate, I at least feel good knowing that my sales associates aren't droping their pants as soon as they see someone wanting to test drive the Evo.

"Hello, welcome to Santa Monica Mitsubishi, my name is Bob can i give away this new 2005 Evo Mr for $28,000 OTD

Come on if you are trully interested in a car at least neigotiate, I understand if you don't want to pay mark up thats why Msrp is on the window. But don't walk into every dealership and start asking how far below invoice can you go. Some people think we have a limbo contest just to make a sale. "How low can you Go"

Sorry for the frustration, even if we were to ask everyone to pay the same price we paid, most people will still want a better deal. A business can't keep its doors open if all they are doing is losing money on every car deal.

What's your recentment towards SMM anyway

To all potential customers we give really good deals on all of our cars, and even better deals on financing.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MisterSpoot
Low production vehicles for a large manufacturer are typically done in spurts. Some cars seriously have all their production handled in 1-2 months. Occasionally, it'll be dragged on for a good portion of the year, but usually they'd rather have those folks be available in case demand for a more lucrative model increases, or for models that have seasonal trends.

They decide based on market conditions approximately how many they will produce based on what they anticipate they will sell, up to their available production capacity, or to an artifically set limit.

Suppose Mitsubishi figures they will produce 5,000 MRs worldwide. Guess how many transmissions their ordering? 5,000. Sets of struts? 5,000. Etc. If they need more (defective units, accidents, or desire to increase capacity), they're going to be ordered from the supplier. If the supplier is out, or tied up, they're going to have to wait. Dead time. Auto manufacturers don't really want dead time, since it's money lost to lack of producitvity.

So can they run out of 6-speeds? Sure can, either by bad forecasting, or by artifical means.

I think the production numbers for the MR will be between 2000 and 3000 worldwide. Evos are built in small numbers in a few lots, the Evo VII were all built in two lots.

The list below is all the Evos ever produced up till the VIIs. It does not include the VIIIs and MRs. I think about 12K VIIIs were produced. Most of them went to Japan, US and then the UK in that order.

They make Evos in small lots and they don't make too many anyways. Call it limited production or not, they don't build to meet demand. The MR will likely already have ended production before the first allocation is sold.

The reason that the Evo is such a good car is the fast pace of development. The fast pace can only be maintained with short limited production runs. If the ever try crank out 30K a year instead of 13K over 18 months I think the Evo will suffer.

Evolution I , Start Production 10/92, Total Produced 2 Lots of 2,500= 5,000
Evolution II, Start Production 1/94, Total Produced 5,000
Evolution III, Start Production 2/95, Total Produced 5,000
Evolution IV, Start Production 8/96, Total Produced 2 Lots 6,000+3,000= 9,000
Evolution V, Start Production 1/98, Total Produced 7,617
Evolution VI, Start Production 1/99, Total Produced 7,981
Evolution TME, Start Production 1/00, Total Produced 2,924
Evolution VII, Start Production 1/01, Total Produced 2 Lots 9,991+3,487= 13,478

Last edited by erikgj; Jul 5, 2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RTS EVO VIII
Your argument is not logical at all. The modena and the f355 are two completely different cars built on a different platform. While the Evo mr and the Evo 8 are two very similar cars with almost the same horsepower, torque and etc...Mr is a great car but if you're taking it to the track, the wheels are too narrow, the bilstein are not stiff enough...so why not just get a regular evo 8, toss out all the junks, upgrade and you can save yourself 3-5grand?
Why is it not logical? My point is Ferrari and Evo MR are just toys for me. I want the newest toy and is that a problem? Evo is a quickly evolving car. When new generation evo 8.5 comes out, people want it. No matter what you did to evo 8, its still a evo 8, not a 8.5 evo. ? I want all the latest and greatest goodies, can your modded evo 8 give me aluminum roofs, 6 speed, acd, aluminum door beams, etc..? You won't save 3-5 grands because you can't even buy the tranny and roof for that kinda of money.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Diesel
if demand is THAT high there will be more in the pipeline...

i would bet that there will still be some MR's sitting on dealers lots 3 months after they arrive... they had a tough time selling the VIII, and dealers still have them on the lots...

adding another 4K to the price is not going to help move these things any quicker...

i have an email in though to set up a test drive when one comes in...
You will be succuumb'd by it and return to us
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

never ever take the dealership's word for it - wiseman
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gtr
Why not? All weather, 4 Doors, and a trunk. People also say the MR rides better than our current evolution which is not bad as long as you don't have crap roads with pot holes every 2 feet.
Just having a roof, 4 doors and a trunk don't make it practical transportation. Fiero/MRS have 2 doors, mid engine, rear drive, do you call that a exotic super car? I guess if you try hard enough, you can drive a tank to work.

A car that can be called "practical transportation" have alot of qualities which Evo doesn't have:

1. Fuel Economy
2. warranty service
3. resell value
4. ride quality
5. noise isolation
6. reliability
7. Auto transmission
8. Cruise control
9. not attracting law enforcement attention

Yes, Los Angeles area have alot of crappy roads and freeway.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chantaiman51
Why is it not logical? My point is Ferrari and Evo MR are just toys for me. I want the newest toy and is that a problem? Evo is a quickly evolving car. When new generation evo 8.5 comes out, people want it. No matter what you did to evo 8, its still a evo 8, not a 8.5 evo. ? I want all the latest and greatest goodies, can your modded evo 8 give me aluminum roofs, 6 speed, acd, aluminum door beams, etc..? You won't save 3-5 grands because you can't even buy the tranny and roof for that kinda of money.
i don't think you can get the aluminum roof at all....
Old Jul 6, 2004, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erikgj
I think the production numbers for the MR will be between 2000 and 3000 worldwide. Evos are built in small numbers in a few lots, the Evo VII were all built in two lots.

The list below is all the Evos ever produced up till the VIIs. It does not include the VIIIs and MRs. I think about 12K VIIIs were produced. Most of them went to Japan, US and then the UK in that order.

They make Evos in small lots and they don't make too many anyways. Call it limited production or not, they don't build to meet demand. The MR will likely already have ended production before the first allocation is sold.

The reason that the Evo is such a good car is the fast pace of development. The fast pace can only be maintained with short limited production runs. If the ever try crank out 30K a year instead of 13K over 18 months I think the Evo will suffer.

Evolution I , Start Production 10/92, Total Produced 2 Lots of 2,500= 5,000
Evolution II, Start Production 1/94, Total Produced 5,000
Evolution III, Start Production 2/95, Total Produced 5,000
Evolution IV, Start Production 8/96, Total Produced 2 Lots 6,000+3,000= 9,000
Evolution V, Start Production 1/98, Total Produced 7,617
Evolution VI, Start Production 1/99, Total Produced 7,981
Evolution TME, Start Production 1/00, Total Produced 2,924
Evolution VII, Start Production 1/01, Total Produced 2 Lots 9,991+3,487= 13,478

great info
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Just having a roof, 4 doors and a trunk don't make it practical transportation. Fiero/MRS have 2 doors, mid engine, rear drive, do you call that a exotic super car? I guess if you try hard enough, you can drive a tank to work.

A car that can be called "practical transportation" have alot of qualities which Evo doesn't have:

1. Fuel Economy
2. warranty service
3. resell value
4. ride quality
5. noise isolation
6. reliability
7. Auto transmission
8. Cruise control
9. not attracting law enforcement attention

Yes, Los Angeles area have alot of crappy roads and freeway.
You require much more luxury than I do. If those items listed are truly important the Evo will disappoint you. I live in the Orange County.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erikgj
You require much more luxury than I do. If those items listed are truly important the Evo will disappoint you. I live in the Orange County.
Evo won't disappoint me because I won't use it as daily driver. Its because I already have 4 bikes, 2 cars and 1 truck.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clue?sion
Where do you get off saying we're not a good dealer. ...

What's your recentment towards SMM anyway...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=Santa+Monica

Those are just some of the threads two seconds of searching revealed.

Last edited by Cannonballer; Jul 6, 2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

I've called my dealer (Alhambra Mitsubishi, CA 91801) to check on the status of my MR which I've ordered on June 5. I will be getting their first MR and price will be MSRP. He told me that they are not accepting anymore order, because all three of their MR allocations are spoken for.

He said each dealer is only allocated 3-5 MRs. So if any of you want to get an MR by September, especially in So Cal, better hurry.

Shall we start some kind of list to show which dealer is still taking order and which dealer is selling the MR at MSRP? I think this will benefit potential MR buyer.
Well good news-bad news. Most dealers are only receiving 2-3 MR's but, they are not all sold out. Actually a lot of the dealers that I talk to hve not even taken any deposits yet, a lot didn't want to deal with it till it is here. As for dealers selling at MSRP, I think you may want to hold off till a few people actually pick up their cars. Saying they will sell it for MSRP and delivering are two different things. Maybe a good way to go is look at the thread of dealers selling the EVO when it first came out at MSRP. Those stores, mine included will probably be similar on the MR to what the original US EVO was.

In case anyone is wondering I just got my ship dates for the first group of MR's...per Mitsu, my first 3 will be shipped 9-10-04. Figure they will land 9-15 to 9-20.

One more quick thought everyone, if you are going to buy an MR make the dealer send you a buyers order with "selling for MSRP, no adds" to you so that you have some coverage when you go to pick up your car.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clue?sion
Where do you get off saying we're not a good dealer.
Heres a Start: http://www.labbb.org/scripts/cgiip.e...ID=2&hAddrID=1
Old Jul 6, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tryandcatchme
Whew. Good thing we have a new owner, new management, as well as new employees. Whoever is having trouble locating an '05 EVO, contact me. I'll have my lot and storage lot full of them. 30 to be exact. 18 coming in September (4 MR's/4 RS'S) and 12 more MR's coming in October. I will personally give you the best customer service in town. Guaranteed.

Robert Evans
Web/Fleet Director
Santa Monica Mitsubishi

Quick Reply: MR is sold out