Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

New EVO MR press release from MMNA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:22 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO Neil, have the press driven the MR yet?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RaX
EVO Neil, have the press driven the MR yet?
Yes
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Yes
How does it feels?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'd imagine it's like an fq330 that's on top gear
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wilson1
How does it feels?

Sorry, driving impressions are embargoed until September 1st, so I can't talk about it. Look for a story in Motor Trend's October issue on sale around the beginning of September for a full test of the '05 MR against the improved '05 STi.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:36 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jasonc32amg
I'd imagine it's like an fq330 that's on top gear
That fast .

I can't wait
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Sorry, driving impressions are embargoed until September 1st, so I can't talk about it. Look for a story in Motor Trend's October issue on sale around the beginning of September for a full test of the '05 MR against the improved '05 STi.
the test against the sti sounds good but why the embargo until sept 1? btw, do you work for MT?
Old Aug 11, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
the test against the sti sounds good but why the embargo until sept 1? btw, do you work for MT?
Manufacturers place embargoes so that everyone has a fair chance at getting the information out at the same time or to satisify some internal reason, like the car isn't available until the later date. Magazines have a two to three month lead time, while internet companies could go live with a story in days as can TV coverage, so it levels the playing field.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by broeli
True, but I won't be a bit surprised if the new '05 Evos (especially the MR and RS) are classed in SS and the '03/'04 Evos are left in AS
I seriously doubt it. At the National level Evos and STi s don't stand a chance in AS unless it rains.

The difference between an '03 GSR and an '05 MR is going to be slight - 5hp and 13 lb-ft are not going to make much difference in times. The ACD may hurt. The front LSD will help a little. The '05 MR is probably less than 50 lbs lighter than an '03 GSR. I would put good aftermarket adjustable shocks up against the new Bilstiens. The 6 speed will be a disadvantage on high speed courses.

All in all, the changes fall into the SEBs "best of breed" philosophy. It will stay in AS until it kicks Corvette *** (which ain't gonna happen).
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 00R101
I seriously doubt it. At the National level Evos and STi s don't stand a chance in AS unless it rains.
yup.

The difference between an '03 GSR and an '05 MR is going to be slight - 5hp and 13 lb-ft are not going to make much difference in times. The ACD may hurt. The front LSD will help a little. The '05 MR is probably less than 50 lbs lighter than an '03 GSR.
yup

I would put good aftermarket adjustable shocks up against the new Bilstiens. The 6 speed will be a disadvantage on high speed courses.
nope. i'll take bilstein's special MR tuning over random aftermarket dampers any day of the week. and the 6-speed basically has identical gearing in the 1st three gears...you'll never hit fourth in autox...heck it's very rare to even hit third.

All in all, the changes fall into the SEBs "best of breed" philosophy. It will stay in AS until it kicks Corvette *** (which ain't gonna happen).
yup.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 00R101

The difference between an '03 GSR and an '05 MR is going to be slight - 5hp and 13 lb-ft are not going to make much difference in times. The ACD may hurt. The front LSD will help a little. The '05 MR is probably less than 50 lbs lighter than an '03 GSR. I would put good aftermarket adjustable shocks up against the new Bilstiens. The 6 speed will be a disadvantage on high speed courses.

ACD is going to help. The fron TORSEN will help even more. The MR may be heavier than a 03-04 VIII. It will be hard to class.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
yup.

yup

nope. i'll take bilstein's special MR tuning over random aftermarket dampers any day of the week. and the 6-speed basically has identical gearing in the 1st three gears...you'll never hit fourth in autox...heck it's very rare to even hit third.

yup.
I'd agree with this, nicely put.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erikgj
ACD is going to help. The fron TORSEN will help even more. The MR may be heavier than a 03-04 VIII. It will be hard to class.
I'd also agree with you about the front helical limited slip but I'd disagree about the weight.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erikgj
Yeah Evil E - don't forget the aluminum roof and side panels are new to MR and RS for 05
Old Aug 21, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-Ron
Yeah Evil E - don't forget the aluminum roof and side panels are new to MR and RS for 05
If it is lighter than '03 VIII I'll be very happy. I was not expecting it because:

- roof - door beams - wheels + 6-speed + ACD = ?

But neil if it is lower than the current VIII that would be great. Well done Mitsu.

Quick Reply: New EVO MR press release from MMNA