Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Here's the MOTOR TREND article (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not ranting you guys are the ones with 12 pages worth of self promotion making yourselves feel better. This article hit STi boards and generated 2 pages worth of "Wow great cars! Great Read" If Subaru released a limited 1,000 production car that only won in the track time and tied in 0-60 and 1/4 mile I would be pretty sad.

And I'm not out driving my STi cuz I just got back from the Redskins preseason shalacking of the Falcons. Mike the chump Vick had 1 fumble and 1 interception and 0 yards, LoL.

Last edited by STiLiSH; Sep 3, 2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STiLiSH
I'm not ranting you guys are the ones with 12 pages worth of self promotion making yourselves feel better. This article hit STi boards and generated 2 pages worth of "Wow great cars! Great Read" If Subaru released a limited 1,000 production car that only won in the track time and tied in 0-60 and 1/4 mile I would be pretty sad.
And there's similar enthusiasm in regards to the STi on NASIOC. I'm sure if the 2006 STi features a shorter steering ratio amongst other improvement that there'll be considerable rejoicing on the Subaru forums and I wouldn't consider it a bad thing.

There's nothing wrong with that.

As for the "drag times", hey some folks might consider it the world, but I don't. I might take my MR to New England Dragway once or twice for kicks, yet the only time I expect the need to perform well in the 1/4 will be at One Lap of America in 2006. I don't consider the Evolution, STi, or similar cars to be drag cars, but in this country it's an extremely popular benchmark due to all the muscle car heritage there is in the US. Go to some of the UK Lancer enthusiast sites and they tend to scratch their heads at our fascination with straight-line acceleration tests.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you read through the 12 pages, the first half is people asking questions to one of the few people in the US who's actually driven the MR. Up until the last page or two, most of arguement between the 03 evo guys ragging on the MR guys for the cost of the car. I agree with you btw, (the falcons suck)
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:00 PM
cmf

StiLiSH, shut up. I'm not even an Evo driver (nor even a prospective one) and I find your presence pointless and irritating. You're not making any positive impressions here nor are you convincing anyone the STi is a better car, in case those were your goals.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:01 PM

Also how is it that every single person on here says they are getting an 05 MR, yet there are only going to be 1,000?

And I had no goals, just wondering how all the mitsu people saying "STi is MR's biootch" can say that based on 1 second difference on a track and a limited edition car compared to a normal edition car.

Just trying to help out prospective buyers who are buying based on 1 second on paper instead of a history of hiding defects and sliding sales in the U.S.

Last edited by STiLiSH; Sep 3, 2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Also how is it that every single person on here says they are getting an 05 MR, yet there are only going to be 1,000?
Probably the same as how everyone claims they plan to buy whatever on all the other car forums.

Dunno. Nice to have dreams I suppose?

All I know is I've had my deposit down for about 11 weeks, and I know my vehicle's build date and expected delivery date. I think I'll worry only about my MR, and I'll just leave the rest for everyone else to worry about.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

You're just imagining things now.. We have a poll on this already. 35 people say they have a deposit, 71 said they're planning to buy an MR.

Looks like that leaves 894 left unspoken of. Not sure what the point of this question was though
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

can't answer that, all I know is that I have a signed contract with my dealer out here for one at MSRP, not a dollar over.

actually I know of about 6-7 regular posters who say they're getting one...
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:09 PM

Not a dollar over MSRP? I have read MSRP is not final until they actually order the cars, I'd double check your contract wording.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I can fax you a copy if you want...
vehicle ordered 2005 Evo VIII MR, Graphite Grey, Cost as it's written on the order contract "MSRP". Signed below by me and the Second level sales manager.

the dealers still don't know what the MSRP of the vehicle is, I looked at the order computer, but reasonable estimates are from 33k-35k. Either way I get it for what the factory window sticker says, and not the one with the "market adjustment".
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Not a dollar over MSRP? I have read MSRP is not final until they actually order the cars, I'd double check your contract wording.
Actually, it's not final then. Even after the dealer commits to an allocation, and orders the car, they may not receive pricing information for a new model for as long as 30 days after they've placed the order. I've confirmed this with a friend who works at a BMW dealership, though he's only had to deal with this once in the past.

Pricing still hasn't been released for any of the 2005 Evolutions yet. I'd hope it'd be released this upcoming week, as everyone's simply becoming antsy from the anticipation.

As for contracts and agreements, this is a dealership to dealership basis. The Subaru dealership in Bourne from day 1 offered good below-MSRP deals on the STi, while some others were marking the car up. Same goes for the Evolution or any other low-allocation vehicle in which there may be demand. As for myself, I've had the pricing conversation with the general manager months ago, and he intends on selling it to me for a good amount under MSRP -- and I at least have good reason to trust him, having gotten great deals from him in the past.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Order in, for grey MR w/ Mr Package @ MSRP in writing. The dealer was surprised I even asked them for no mark up. I don't think they would have marked it up either way. They're happy to make a sale
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

my dealer initially wanted a markup; (1000 over with a 5000 non-refundable deposit IIRC) I do live on the west coast, and everything seems to have a markup out here. I was able to work them down (by getting up and walking toward the door 3 times). Ended up at MSRP with a 500 deposit. (probably could have done better if I really wanted to fight, but it was a saturday and I didn't feel like wasting another 20 min.)

That's why it's fun to be the guy buying something; I don't "need" what they have, so that puts me at a negotiating advantage.

Last edited by Greg K; Sep 3, 2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
my dealer initially wanted a markup, (1000 over with a 5000 non-refundable deposit) but I was able to work them down (by getting up and walking toward the door 3 times). Ended up at MSRP with a 500 deposit. (probably could have done better if I really wanted to fight, but it was a saturday and I didn't feel like wasting another 20 min.)

That's why it's fun to be the guy buying something; I don't "need" what they have, so that puts me at a negotiating advantage.

Hehe, I wonder how many times you would have to stand up to get them to cover serious mods under warranty.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

not going there. Plan on staying stock for at least a year, and then maybe a vishnu stage 1 once the Evo doesn't make me giggle anymore.

My cossie already has all the horsepower I need, (320 at the rear tires) and is geared to go like stink from a standstill. 0--"holy crap" (as uttered by my co-driver, the first time I launched) in about 4.5, on gravel.

I wouldn't want them to cover mods anyway. I'm not like that; if I break something doing something stupid: my fault, comes out of my pocket.

Last edited by Greg K; Sep 3, 2004 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Here's the MOTOR TREND article (56k beware)