Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Here's the MOTOR TREND article (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with all of this. I don't understand why it needs to be preached. Why can't we just assume that other people on here aren't idiots who belong on the bottom of your pyramid of satire there. We'll all get along just fine! If you were the one testing the cars in Motor Trend, would this make the numbers more real? So far, those numbers and whatever 03/04 evo and 05 sti driving experience we've aquired are all we have to go by. So why can't we discuss this based on some numbers? All of us have at this point, including every one of the quote-makers in your post there and we all hopefully know that we're not professional race car drivers. I guess I can only speak for myself when I say you guys don't have to tell me this. I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way.

Unless you feel they are being complete jackasses, treating your fellow Evom post ***** in an un-condescending manner is a good thing.

I see it like this, anyone who can take an evo hot enough into a corner to break it loose without wetting themself is either an idiot or pretty close to being a pro. I admittedly would hit the breaks before having to wash a pair of pants. Why can't I start with the car that gives me more to work towards before having to do anything with it?

Either way..As you guys have said, these cars are so similar! If a test drive fails to narrow it down, magazine numbers may be all we have to go by in the end.
Ok blah blah blah.. I'm done
Old Sep 7, 2004, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by godai
FQ isn't even available in Japan but "MR" and "Spec C" are and considered equals with similar powers. To compare with FQ I guess you would need the Type 25 to make it an Euro battle.
Trust the Americans to confuse the issue. :P Sorry about the jibe!

In Japan, there are no 03/04 Evo VIIIs in production any longer. Those have long stopped production. In fact, the closest thing the Japanese HAD to the US spec Evo VIIIs are the Evo VII RS IIs (RS spec with no ACD/AYC, but equipped with GSR trims, like aircon, power windows, ABS etc).

MR production has also stopped in Japan, AFAIK.

Evolution MRs were available in 3 trims:
MR GSR (SAYC/ACD/ABS, aircon etc)
MR RS 6 speed
MR RS 5 speed

All have 40.8kgm torque and 280ps engine

Subaru has a slightly more complicated line up.

Earlier this year, they had the
STI
Spec C (stripped down, with higher tuned engine, equal length headers, twin scroll turbo pushing 42.0 kgm torque).

Just recently launched are the
STI (with same engine as the last Spec C aka 42.0 kgm torque)
Spec C (same engine as before but improved handling, 235 width tyres and oddly enough a whole different PCD 5x114.3 like the Evos instead of 5x100 like with other Scoobies).

So the closest we have to the Spec C in Japan is the JDM spec MR RS 6 speeder.

Last edited by DoggieHowser; Sep 7, 2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by DoggieHowser
Trust the Americans to confuse the issue. :P Sorry about the jibe!

So the closest we have to the Spec C in Japan is the JDM spec MR RS 6 speeder.
So what's your point? Sounds like you're the confused one. What's so confusing about FQ not available in Japan and that the Type25 would be needed to compete with it in europe? Even though that's not really officially from Subaru.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:18 AM

Lightbulb

couldn't see if anyone's posted this yet, but the MR spec has been posted on the Mitsubishi homepage (NOTE: this is NOT just the media site blurb). Click on the 'The New 2005 Lancer Evolution MR' ICON bottom right on this page:

http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/MMSA/jsp/index.jsp

cheers
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, so according to the pics from mitsubishi's website, the dark grey is the only color that will retain the dark carbon fiber spoiler. You know I really want a white evo, but that damn elusive grey color is just so damn pretty as well. God bless anyone who buys that car. Those rims are t!ts
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well now that we all hate eachother can we get back to the topic on hand No more suby evo hate wars... both are respectable cars and will fit two different people just cause one of use doesn't like it then who cares

I'm more curious as to how mitsu is going to deal with warranties on this car, i'm afraid to walk into a mitsu dealership anymore aside from getting raped with sales people i'm afraid of turning the wrong way.. i might void my warranty

Last edited by 1QWKEVO; Sep 7, 2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Evolution Warranty

I don't know about anyone elses experiences but the dealer I take my car to has never given me any problem with the aftermarket parts i have put onthe car. I have had no problems with my car and have had no warranty issues. I have the Buschur stage III on the car. The dealer told me as long as i don't gointo the engine and Don't reflash the computer that i still have warranty on everthing. I guess if i broke something that it would be interesting to see if the dealership would give me a hard time with covering it under warranty.

Derek
Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Question for 2005 MR

I hope someone can answer a couple of questions that are making me think twice about going through with the trading of my 2003 evolution for the MR. I read all of the posts on the article in Motor Trend. My real worry is the tranny being a weak point of the MR. I don't beat the **** out of my evolution but i like to go to the track every so often and try out the new parts from Buschur. Plus i do drive the car hard but within reason, I don't abuse it. I'm not worried about the 5,000 rev limit when launching the MR because thats something that can be taken out or changed with a reflash if it really bothers me . The main thing is , that this 6 speed tranny is strong. i don't want to go through what i went through with my 1994 eclipse GSX. I had about 350 at the wheels and i had to Grandma shift the car to avoid the wonderful Mitsubishi 1 to 2 crunch. I never powershifted the car but always recieved a nice little grind when shifting fast . Its really annoying when you have alot of power and you can't shift fast because of a weak tranny. And by the way i realize that the weak points of the Mitsubishi's have always been the tranny. So if anyone could please help me on this delema I would really appreciate it . And by the way i have owned 4 Mitsubishi's in the past 2 AWD an 2 FWD plus the 2003 EVO that I have now, and the 4G63 is a very strong motor that can easily withstand upgrades into the 400 hp range with the right upgrades thats why i'm worried about putting on the upgrades that i have from Buschur because as you all know if you have a weak point in a car that more power normally makes a weak point weaker.

Thanks again in advance for all the help

Derek
Old Sep 8, 2004, 04:41 AM

So what's your point? Sounds like you're the confused one. What's so confusing about FQ not available in Japan and that the Type25 would be needed to compete with it in europe? Even though that's not really officially from Subaru.
You said the MR was the equivalent of the Spec C. It isn't really because the MR is often referred to as the 8.5 and is also available in GSR and RS trims, just like the TME (aka 6.5) was.

And so the JDM Spec C's (being a lightened hardcore racing version of the WRX STI) closest equivalent is the JDM MR RS 6 speeder.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by DoggieHowser
You said the MR was the equivalent of the Spec C. It isn't really because the MR is often referred to as the 8.5 and is also available in GSR and RS trims, just like the TME (aka 6.5) was.

And so the JDM Spec C's (being a lightened hardcore racing version of the WRX STI) closest equivalent is the JDM MR RS 6 speeder.
You must be ****. Spec C has different trims too, some are "heavy" like a GSR and some are light (stripped, smaller brakes, 16" steelies, etc) like a RS. So yes, Spec C is equivalent to MR.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 03:37 PM

You must be ****. Spec C has different trims too, some are "heavy" like a GSR and some are light (stripped, smaller brakes, 16" steelies, etc) like a RS. So yes, Spec C is equivalent to MR.
The RS is also available in different trims, 6 speeder or 5 speeder, steel rims or the Enkei, and in some instances like the RS2, even wif GSR trims like airconditioning.

The MR is the generation number, like the 6.5/TME.

The Spec C is a stripped down version of the STI, just like the RS is of the GSR.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having all those options would be a nightmare in this country. I hope they go ahead and make the HIDs standard on the GSR's.

Maybe one day America will earn the right to have such a proliferation of Evos and STis. I really just don't think we are there yet.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:21 PM

Well maybe MR isn't all that equvalent to Spec C.. MR GSR ran 8 seconds slower at the ring

http://www.bestmotoring.jp/magazine/0408/index.html
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Well maybe MR isn't all that equvalent to Spec C.. MR GSR ran 8 seconds slower at the ring

http://www.bestmotoring.jp/magazine/0408/index.html
Well duh... it's a GSR... it's not the RS with SAYC and 6 speed gearbox. Let's not forget that Kurosawa aka Gan-san has a lot of ring experience, just take a look at the table itself!

And since we're on the topic of magazine racing, FYI, the Evo MR RS still beats the latest Spec C at Tsukuba, although the Spec C was ahead in most of the tests like gymkhana. This is with the RS starting as the last car in the back of the grid. And the Spec C was driven by Gan-san. The RS came in first and the GSR was second. And the best lap was 1'06"400 in the RS while the Spec C was 1'06"791.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

I forgot to mention the time attack results from Sep 04 of BM:

Evo MR RS 1'06"218
NSX-R 1'06"505
Evo MR GSR 1'06"625
New STi 1'06"896
R34 GTR 1'06"983
New Spec C 1'07"465 <-- driven by Gan-san

Quick Reply: Here's the MOTOR TREND article (56k beware)