Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Here's the MOTOR TREND article (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
remember back in the good ol' days when the normal evos were better?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift

On my bike the shift light is a huge help. I think most of us have our shift points ingrained but if you've modded your car and have different shift points in different gears, a little chime might help your times just a fraction.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Haehl
So it cuts off at 5k or it bounces off the 5k rpm?
I'd say stutters, just like when you hit your rev-limiter.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DjTyTanium
Hey Neil.... sooo really is the 5 grand limiter a really horrible thing... I mean it can't be too healthy to be launching your car at 6 grand all the time but will the the limiter make it extremely hard for MR drivers to be quick out of the box. I am awaiting a grey 05 and I am just vary curious...
Seriously, this shouldn't be a factor for street driving, just for those few who must drag race their car. Who launches higher than that on the street? If you are you deserve a burned out clutch or bad transfer case, because that's messed up.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mister2zx3
WIth only 1000 MRs reported to be coming over and the price estimated to be higher, and no cruise control on the MR, I think Subaru will be very pleased to hand this out to potential STi customers.
If you think so, the Evo ran better numbers in almost every test and it won. As I always tell the people that ask, you can't go wrong with either choice, buy the one you like better after driving both. For me that was/is the Evo.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
If you think so, the Evo ran better numbers in almost every test and it won. As I always tell the people that ask, you can't go wrong with either choice, buy the one you like better after driving both. For me that was/is the Evo.
I don't judge cars based on stats alone. Besides I wonder how much better the STi would run simply by putting on the 235 Yokos.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm...

So how much of that 1 sec do you think was tires? The EVO has the closest thing to DOT-R tires I've ever seen on a street car. I know the Subaru guys complain the tires are not quite as grippy. One second can be made up with tires really quickly if the Brigestone's are a bit slower. This could be closer than we think.

Other food for thought

The 05 Subaru is now 1 sec quicker than the 03/04 Evo...
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by blackey
So how much of that 1 sec do you think was tires? The EVO has the closest thing to DOT-R tires I've ever seen on a street car. I know the Subaru guys complain the tires are not quite as grippy. One second can be made up with tires really quickly if the Brigestone's are a bit slower. This could be closer than we think.

Other food for thought

The 05 Subaru is now 1 sec quicker than the 03/04 Evo...
Sux they didn't at least put on 235 RE70s like they did for JDM 05s. I heard the reason was because those aren't DOT approved yet.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Tires play a huge role. Just imagine if the Evo was instead shod with 275 Hoosiers? Heck, it'd probably have edged out the Lamborghini's time then.

But, we can keep playing this game all we want, it'll just get silly.

Now let's get down to more important things... cupholders! Neil, you're still to give us the what's-what on the beverage conveyance tests.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for posting the article.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 01:21 AM

Nice article. I was considering getting an MR, but I wasn't going to wait, so I got an 05 STi.

Originally Posted by 05STiDrv
Uh oh, quoting yourself...

That would bother me a bit if Subaru did indeed do this. My '05 is on a strict diet of Sunoco Ultra 94 and I don't plan on running anything less, so the ECU shouldn't be setup for weak 91. It will be interesting to see what Cobb Tuning (and others) can do with the '05 ECU maps.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it still recommends 93 octane. They just tuned it so it could run safely on 91 octane. The 05 ECU isn't as aggressive with tryin to max out the horsepower. FYI. I run a mix of 100 octane and 91 octane on my 05 STi. There is a definate power difference after I've run the mix for a while. When I have to use straight 91, there is a slight drop in power.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha ha, I love it.

I wonder how the Subie would have done if the MR had to drag a boat anchor around and the STi was equipped with a Pratt & Whitney F-119 jet engine.

The article included stats AND driving impressions and wasn't biased towards either. Both companies brought their best and it turned out just like it did before and just like I figured it would now.

1. Mitsubishi
2. Subaru

Deal with it.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the article good pics and stats
Old Sep 3, 2004, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

I really hope the $35k is just a high estimate. Subaru did a bunch of of improvement for the 05 sti and didn't raise the price much. If Mitsubishi really charge $5k over the std evo, then the Sti looks like a better deal to me. IMO, the MR should be selling at the same price as the Sti.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

nice post GPTourer I think the article was good and fair to both cars.

Quick Reply: Here's the MOTOR TREND article (56k beware)