Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

for future mr owners

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for future mr owners

i like many of you are waiting for an availible vin from my dealership =(... but that aside has anyone ever thought about leather interior for their mr? i was at the dealership a few weeks ago and was talking to them about the wait i would have ect about the mr.

thankfully i talked to someone who actually knew something about it.... unlike the mitsu rep i talked to through emails. -_-

anyway for myself thats the one thing i really like about the base evo8 is the leather interior. to me i used to have a bmw 325i so im just used to having the leather. but from being in the two no leather and leather option evos i just have taking a huge liking to the leather.. just look at the door pannels on the base model it looks so cheap...

so anyway my question is has anyone thought about purchasing like the leather door pannels for their mr and having the seats done up in leather to match? or someone who has a leather model that would like to trade + cash for their leather, pending its in good condition.

i know i have...

just wanted to know if there is anyone else out there like me
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

MR Leather

You can get leather in your MR. The dealer here said that they would do the seats in leather for me if i wanted to get it that way. The cost here in florida would be 1,000. I get to keep the old skins for the seats if i ever want to change it back to stock. I am debating on doing it though, and only time will tell.

Derek
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

i love my regular recaros..i wouldn't give them up for anything! lol they hold u so well and just feel so perfect..i mean to each his own but it's a performance car not a luxury car u know? i get more complements about my blue and black recaros then I ever have with leather..just my opinion
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

$1000 that's a really good deal!
I am assuming you get the back seats too
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

I want to trade someone in the uk for the black recaros with the red writing for my gross blue seats.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Aftermarket leather will always be better than Mitsu leather. Mitsu leather is terrible (I have it in my Eclipse). At least aftermarket you can something decent installed, like what's in an Audi, possibly with some alcantara inserts to keep yourself from sliding around.

I'm just sticking with the stock recaros for now though.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisterSpoot
Aftermarket leather will always be better than Mitsu leather. Mitsu leather is terrible (I have it in my Eclipse). At least aftermarket you can something decent installed, like what's in an Audi, possibly with some alcantara inserts to keep yourself from sliding around.

I'm just sticking with the stock recaros for now though.

I agree 100%. I have seen both the aftermarket leather and the mitsu stock leather. The stock leather sucks. It's ugly and looks very cheap...IMO. The aftermarket leather is great. My fiance has it in her Evo, the only thing is that it won't hold her in as well when she is hitting the corners.

Too each their own and if you get their leather I hope you enjoy it. It is still an Evo.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timmyx1

just wanted to know if there is anyone else out there like me

Yes actually - although performance oriented, I too have been spoilt by leather in the past and I would not mind at all the tight look of leather in my MR to spruce up the cheapy looking interior a bit. - you are not alone
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

The bad thing I have noticed about aftermarket leather though, after working in a dealership that sublets out this service, 1000 bucks pays for some covers that 85% of the time look out of wack (i.e. don't fit right, have bunched up spots, hanging threads,...) Never had any probs with the leather in my eclipse.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:36 AM

The seats would look so much better if they weren't blue. It clashes with some exteriors I think.
The black JDM or UK interior would have been the way to go, even to offer a leather option, at least its one color! Mitsu really dropped the ball again.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

iuno i think the blue is dark enough that it doesn't really stand out..that is what i liked about them over like some sparco's or something that are ridiculous red or yowwwza yellow lol..but ya i dont know what the leather in the evo's are like..are they the same as the leather recaro's in the s4? if so they're pretty amazing but they're a bit more firm than most beamer and audi leather..to each his own i guess.. love my seats..but i would like to get the black and grey recaros just to be different..i think they're sexy
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOL 8
The bad thing I have noticed about aftermarket leather though, after working in a dealership that sublets out this service, 1000 bucks pays for some covers that 85% of the time look out of wack (i.e. don't fit right, have bunched up spots, hanging threads,...) Never had any probs with the leather in my eclipse.
I'm not talking cheap covers.

I'm talking taking it to a professional upholsterer. Don't do mail order junk, and have it completely custom done by someone who's been doing customizations on high-end cars. If you swing by a place that sells exotics (try an Aston Martin dealer if one is reasonably close), or contact their service manager, they might be able to give you an impeccable reference of someone who'll do an amazing job.

The "problem" with my Eclipse is it wasn't pre-stretched properly, it's greasy (though that's been somewhat resolved with regular Meguiar's conditioning), and it has a horribly plasticky feel to it. Even the premium leather option in an Audi is an insane difference, nevermind a higher-end car like a Maserati or an Aston Martin. With those, you'd truly find what "luxury" is.

However... I'm not buying my MR for comfort. Sticking with the stock Recaros unless I need something that holds me in place better.

Last edited by MisterSpoot; Sep 17, 2004 at 05:08 PM.