Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

CEL after CEL is it my UTEC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL after CEL is it my UTEC?

Ever since I have put my UTEC in I have not had time to work on the tuning of it so it has not moved from map 0. My problem is about once or twice a day I get a CEL and I pull the code with an OBD II scanner and it is always 1 of 2 codes. Either low input MAF or Catalyst efficency too low. Is this the UTEC or another problem. My mods are in my sig. thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

I'd assume it's the EIDS turned up too high (should be at the 10 o'clock position, give or take), and the high flow cat isn't cleaning enough of the exaust gas, do a mechanical CEL fix.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 06:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its probably not the UTEC, however it does regenerate the MAF signals to the ECU, so the combination of your EIDS and the UTEC could be making the ECU cranky..

You'll probably need to readjust the EIDS.. Is it hooked up before or after the UTEC? (I'm assuming before the UTEC in the wiring harness...)

I actually do get this error on occasion too.. However I started seeing it occasionally after I upgraded my MAF pipe (intake) and intercooler piping.. So I have to assume its your blowoff valve causing the car to run rich after blowing off and the EIDS set to buffer the signal too much..

You can remove the EIDS for a short while and see if the error stops.. if you can tolerate the occasional stalling until your done troubleshooting.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Yes the EIDS is installed before the UTEC.

I have not adjusted anything on the EIDS but I will try unpluging it today and see what happens.

Something I forgot to say was the CEL only ever comes on right as I start the car, it has come on once or twice while I was driving but typically it is when I get in the car and start it and either of those codes will pop up. Ill still try bypassing the EIDS today though.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Do me a favor, it may be the "Booststrap" of the UTEC.. next time you start the car, turn the key wait a few seconds, then crank the engine.. give the UTEC a few seconds to start up.. see if that helps..
Old Sep 30, 2004, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

the cel light of course will blink any number of times depending on what map you are running. You sure you are on map 0?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Ill try that and post it Jack, thanks.

As for map 0, I am 100% posotive it is map 0. I check it everyday.
the cel doesnt flash it comes on and while it on the car sucks and loses power.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Try this O2 fix it worked for me

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=18mm+fix
Old Oct 1, 2004, 04:45 AM
EvoM Guru

BTW this code is likely thrown by the PRIMARY O2 sensor.. not the secondary, that fix is used to pull the secondary O2 sensor out of the stream..

this CEL is generally caused by the MAF sensor reading incorrectly (abnormally high, or low) causing the car the either dump too much fuel, or too little, in response the O2 sensor detects a mixture that is out of a normal range and that its uncorrectable (at that moment)
Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Ive been trying turning the key on for a few seconds before starting the car and its worked flawless the past couple days, Ill keep you updated though.

Thanks Jack, your 24/7 tech support is great.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 04:51 AM
EvoM Guru

No problem.. I think as more features are added to the UTEC, it takes slightly longer to startup than it was before..

Sometimes it happens to me if I don't give the car the opportunity to warm up and drive it on a cool morning.. In that case its likely that open loop fuel enrichment is being thrown off by an aftermarket air filter and MAF pipe, but thats pretty rare. In that case it happened to me after installing a new MAF pipe and a new intercooler and pipes (way lower restriction than stock)
Old Oct 4, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
No problem.. I think as more features are added to the UTEC, it takes slightly longer to startup than it was before..

Sometimes it happens to me if I don't give the car the opportunity to warm up and drive it on a cool morning.. In that case its likely that open loop fuel enrichment is being thrown off by an aftermarket air filter and MAF pipe, but thats pretty rare. In that case it happened to me after installing a new MAF pipe and a new intercooler and pipes (way lower restriction than stock)
Thanks for the info.

[off topic]

Hey Jack,

I sent you a PM last week, did you received it?

[/off topic]
Old Oct 4, 2004, 09:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Probably.. But I got over 100 messages in the past week so I might have missed it..
Old Oct 5, 2004, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Probably.. But I got over 100 messages in the past week so I might have missed it..
I see

My car was running lean after I switched to the new 1.7 firmware. I made some adjustment to the map and I would like to hear your opinion.

Should I PM you the log again or should I start a new thread?

Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2004, 06:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Start a new thread so everyone can chime in..

Quick Reply: CEL after CEL is it my UTEC?